Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

X32full size and X32Rack sharing inputs, outputs and mix bus.

I hope I haven’t led a sound company astray. They are doing an install at a church and are putting a Full sized X32 is the balcony Choir loft and an X32Rack in a closet on the first floor. I am waiting for the exact configuration they are looking for. I assume that the X32 will have all of the instrument and singers mics into the X32 mixer in the balcony. I think the Rack will have the lectern and alter mics into it.

They want to be able to send a mix bus from one to the other and possible the other way around also. The rack may be a set it and forget it with the Auto mixer in use for the lectern and alter mics and maybe some wireless for preaching. The rack might use a tablet for control.

I know we have to be careful not to create a loop. To hook this up I am assuming I just need a shielded Cat cable with shielded EtherCons (IOW the proper cable) hooked up from the AES50 on one to the AES50 on the other. Which AES50 or doesn’t it matter? I assume it is A to A or B to B. Or am I missing something. Can I send the Mix Bus of one to the other somehow? Thru the Ultranet?

Any suggestions?
Tags (1)
KevinMaxwell Contributor - Level 3 2019-01-29

2019-01-29

I hope I haven’t led a sound company astray. They are doing an install at a church and are putting a Full sized X32 is the balcony Choir loft and an X32Rack in a closet on the first floor. I am waiting for the exact configuration they are looking for. I assume that the X32 will have all of the instrument and singers mics into the X32 mixer in the balcony. I think the Rack will have the lectern and alter mics into it.

They want to be able to send a mix bus from one to the other and possible the other way around also. The rack may be a set it and forget it with the Auto mixer in use for the lectern and alter mics and maybe some wireless for preaching. The rack might use a tablet for control.

I know we have to be careful not to create a loop. To hook this up I am assuming I just need a shielded Cat cable with shielded EtherCons (IOW the proper cable) hooked up from the AES50 on one to the AES50 on the other. Which AES50 or doesn’t it matter? I assume it is A to A or B to B. Or am I missing something. Can I send the Mix Bus of one to the other somehow? Thru the Ultranet?

Any suggestions?

• 0 Kudos
  • 3 Replies
Contributor - Level 3

Re: X32full size and X32Rack sharing inputs, outputs and mix bus.

A-A or B-B or A-B or B-A doesn't matter, as long as you set up the clock source and routing correctly.

You can send a bus from one console to the other easily enough. Stage it in the out1-16\aux out\ultranet menu, then dump that block into the AES50 output stream.

Then you have to worry about getting it into the receiving console. It can come into one of the regular inputs in a block-of-8 using the routing>home menu, or onto an aux channel (block of 2/4/6, at the expense of the actual TRS sockets on the rear of the console) using the Auxin remap. Alternatively, if all you're wanting to do is output the bus on the console's XLR outputs, you can pull it straight out of the AES50 stream (in a block of 4) using the xlr out menu.
Contributor - Level 3

Craig Fowler;159557 wrote:
A-A or B-B or A-B or B-A doesn't matter, as long as you set up the clock source and routing correctly.

You can send a bus from one console to the other easily enough. Stage it in the out1-16\aux out\ultranet menu, then dump that block into the AES50 output stream.

Then you have to worry about getting it into the receiving console. It can come into one of the regular inputs in a block-of-8 using the routing>home menu, or onto an aux channel (block of 2/4/6, at the expense of the actual TRS sockets on the rear of the console) using the Auxin remap. Alternatively, if all you're wanting to do is output the bus on the console's XLR outputs, you can pull it straight out of the AES50 stream (in a block of 4) using the xlr out menu.

Thank you. I just got a PDF of the wiring and interconnect for this place that is from a church member that is some sort of engineer. It isn't written in the standard way, it will take a little while to figure it all out. My contact at the sound company is deciphering it as we speak. But it looks like there is even more wire that the electricians will be pulling (including mic cables between the mixers) so we may not need to rely too heavily on the AES50. That will be nice because I didn't want to lose too many inputs due to the block of 8 restrictions.

We will still use the AES50 for some things so that will be useful. I have helped with an install with an X32 and an S16 and another one with An X32 and 2 SD16s and a bunch of P16s. This will be the first time with an X32 and an X32Rack.

Dose anyone know what the latency numbers are when using the AES50 to interconnect as compared to just using XLR cables for one to the other?
Contributor - Level 2

Robert Lofgren wrote this 6 days ago :

As I suspected the latency in the x32 is slightly lower when using direct routing and not going through the dsp. We are still in the sub-milliseconds territory though.

A/D: 12 samples
D/A: 10 samples
AES50: Format conversion (1 sample) plus aes50 buffers (3 samples per aes50-node).