Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

XENYX802 Mixer: Separate volume control for headphones and main mix

Hello

I'm using a XENYX802 Mixer in order to route my various workstations, instruments and audio interfaces through to my external speakers and headphones.

However, I quite often need to keep switching between headphones and speakers, and am finding that unfortunately when I turn the speakers down, the headphone mix goes down too. This is unfortunate as I'm not able to check the mix on headphones if the speakers are blaring out too.

The phones/ctrl knob does control the volume of the headphones, but only as a percentage of the volume set by the main mix knob, which affects the speaker volume.

Am I doing something wrong here? Is this easy to fix?

Thanks

Richard
DickyMoore Contributor - Level 1 2018-01-21

2018-01-21

XENYX802 Mixer: Separate volume control for headphones and main mix

Hello

I'm using a XENYX802 Mixer in order to route my various workstations, instruments and audio interfaces through to my external speakers and headphones.

However, I quite often need to keep switching between headphones and speakers, and am finding that unfortunately when I turn the speakers down, the headphone mix goes down too. This is unfortunate as I'm not able to check the mix on headphones if the speakers are blaring out too.

The phones/ctrl knob does control the volume of the headphones, but only as a percentage of the volume set by the main mix knob, which affects the speaker volume.

Thanks

Richard

Rock Star - Level 1

Re: XENYX802 Mixer: Separate volume control for headphones and main mix

Dicky Moore;139096 wrote:
Hello

Thanks

Richard

Hi Richard,

Welcome to the forums. I haven't used my 802 in a while but I do remember this being a problem. At the time, I was using passive monitors, so I'd just turned down the levels on the amp. If you're using powered monitors you could put them on a power strip and just turn them off when aren't using them. Kind of a crude solution but it would work.

EDIT: A Behringer Monitor1 is another option: https://www.musictri.be/Categories/Behringer/Signal-Processors/Monitor-Controllers/MONITOR1/p/P0C9G

Hope this helps,
Ken
If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver