Contributor - Level 2

XR12 USB playback (.WAV)

I've had my new XR12 for a few days now and I'm getting to grips with it nicely. It's the first Behringer equipment I've owned & what a brilliant piece of gear it is! Smiley Very Happy

However.... I can't figure out the USB audio interface. When I plug in a USB memory stick with a WAV file on it, the led on the XR12 flashes in response. When I try to get the "Cassette" Player to play by clicking on the play button, the USB led flashes also but it doesn't play and the "Cassette" Player reels move a bit but don't revolve like I think they are supposed to. I think the problem might be in the Setup Page on the Mixer Tab where it shows the USB Interface with radio buttons to select either 18/18 ch or 2/2 ch. As the device is an XR12, I figure I need to click on 2/2 ch to activate the USB port. The radio buttons are blank and do not respond at all when I click on them.

Is there something I'm doing wrong or something else I need to set to get the USB playback functioning?
I'm using X-AIR-EDIT_PC_1.0 and the XR12 arrived with XR16-XR12_Firmware_1.09 already installed when it arrived from Thomann on Tuesday, 5th May. Perhaps there's a new X-AIR-EDIT update coming out soon to activate this?

Michael Lapke, I'd be most grateful if you would kindly comment here with a few words of wisdom on this subject.

Many thanks!
FrankLevy Contributor - Level 2 2015-05-06

2015-05-06

XR12 USB playback (.WAV)

I've had my new XR12 for a few days now and I'm getting to grips with it nicely. It's the first Behringer equipment I've owned & what a brilliant piece of gear it is! Smiley Very Happy

However.... I can't figure out the USB audio interface. When I plug in a USB memory stick with a WAV file on it, the led on the XR12 flashes in response. When I try to get the "Cassette" Player to play by clicking on the play button, the USB led flashes also but it doesn't play and the "Cassette" Player reels move a bit but don't revolve like I think they are supposed to. I think the problem might be in the Setup Page on the Mixer Tab where it shows the USB Interface with radio buttons to select either 18/18 ch or 2/2 ch. As the device is an XR12, I figure I need to click on 2/2 ch to activate the USB port. The radio buttons are blank and do not respond at all when I click on them.

Is there something I'm doing wrong or something else I need to set to get the USB playback functioning?
I'm using X-AIR-EDIT_PC_1.0 and the XR12 arrived with XR16-XR12_Firmware_1.09 already installed when it arrived from Thomann on Tuesday, 5th May. Perhaps there's a new X-AIR-EDIT update coming out soon to activate this?

Michael Lapke, I'd be most grateful if you would kindly comment here with a few words of wisdom on this subject.

Many thanks!

• 0 Kudos
  • 47 Replies
Rising Star - Level 2

Re: XR12 USB playback (.WAV)

I don't have a player on my XR18 but would check the setup page and see if 44.1 is what it's set to, assuming the 12 can also have 48k. The XR18 default is 48k, worth a try.
Contributor - Level 2

Michael will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the USB functions as you are expecting. It is an interface for a computer. In the setup-routing tab you determine which inputs go to which outputs. Then you can use any DAW software to record what's coming through the port. Likewise, you can play back tracks from the DAW thru the Xr18 for virtual sound check, etc. The xR18 has no idea what to do with a memory stick.
Contributor - Level 3

But the OP is asking about an XR-12 which I believe is different and does support USB playback similarly to the X-32. The XR-12/16 has an A type USB host socket whereas the XR-18 has a B type slave socket.
Contributor - Level 2

I don't have an Xr12, but it might be something like the USB drive needing to be formatted in FAT32, or it might not read nested folders or something like that.
Contributor - Level 2

While what you say is certainly possible, it seems crazy for Behringer to have different interfaces per platform. I can see X-air differ from their premiere X32 platform but beyond that, it's just plain weird. I applaud Behringer for going multi-platform (iOS android, etc.) but it comes with myriad management issues. Hey Behringer, with a few freebies, I'll help police your cross-platform issues (proofreading on a user scale).
Contributor - Level 3

I suspect it is because Behringer are aiming the XR 12/16 at a slightly different market. Also there are that many mic inputs/mixing channels to make it worth routing them to a multichannel USB interface for Multitrack recording. I find that playback from USB stick on the X-32 to be very useful for interval music etc.
Triber Moderator

Dear Frank,

Glad to hear you are enjoying your XR12. Smiley Wink

I think the problem might be in the Setup Page on the Mixer Tab where it shows the USB Interface with radio buttons to select either 18/18 ch or 2/2 ch. As the device is an XR12, I figure I need to click on 2/2 ch to activate the USB port. The radio buttons are blank and do not respond at all when I click on them.

This feature is only available in the X18/XR18 models as they require a DAW interface to record tracks. The XR16/XR12 were specifically designed to only record a 2-Track stereo recording so this option isn't available with the those models. Just plug in, hit record and let 'er rip.

I initialized my XR12 and just tried recording a stereo input (from my phone) into channels 5/6 on the XR12 and was able to do so successfully. I was then able to play back that track as expected, the signal default returns it to the AUX channel. So that worked no problems.

I also tried copying a .WAV file off my computer onto the USB stick and tried to play it using the XR12 and it acts just like you said... no playback. Also I tried switching from the default 48k to 44.1k and that didn't fix the playback either. I'll be looking into this more but I'm pretty sure that you can only playback .wav files that are specifically a 48 kHz or 44.1 kHz sampling rate and that mp3's won't work. Will run some more test and once I find out what's what I will report back on this.

As far as formatting for the USB stick I would go with FAT32 as the playback engine is the same as the X32 and that's the standard format for those consoles.
Michael Lapke
Triber Moderator

UPDATE:

OK, so I tried conversing some audio clips from .MP3 to 48 kHz and 44.1 kHz .WAV format. (I know, not ideal) When I copied both files to the USB stick I'm using (FAT32 format) and tried playing back in the XR12 they worked just fine as long as the XR12's clock was set to 48k and 44.1k respectively in the SETUP/MIXER menu. So This does indeed work.

My guess is that the .WAV file format you are trying to playback don't meet this criteria. I suggest you try converting them to a 48/44.1 WAV file and try it again. I used iTunes but any converter should be able to do the job. Hope this helps!
Michael Lapke
Contributor - Level 2

Bingo! That's it! Well spotted Gary it works at 44.1 khz.

Michael: I was just about to post this when I saw your 2 new posts. Thanks for your prompt response.

As you can see from the above, I've actually got the 44.1 khz Wav to play. Thanks for the logical explanation regarding the XR12's clock being set to 48k and 44.1k respectively to match the recorded format of the Wav file in the SETUP/MIXER menu it's now perfectly clear.

James: FYI my USB stick is formatted to Fat32 and you are right it will only read from the current folder.

Eric: If you get the job of helping police Behringer's cross-platform issues (proofreading on a user scale), perhaps due to the interface differences they'll give you an XR12/16 to work with! Nice work if you can get it.

Now that it's playing, the weird thing is that if you put X Air Edit into Meter Mode it shows that it's playing the USB stick through inputs 17/18 (which don't exist! Don't believe everything you read- Lol) but on the lower/fader part of the screen its playing on the Aux (I guess that's where 17/18's fader would be).

Indeed, as Michael has said it is using the Aux. Hopefully this doesn't mean there's a conflict - e.g. if I use the USB playback I lose the earlier Aux settings?

Michael do you know exactly where the Aux is being tapped into by the USB playback. Maybe when the playback menu is exited the Aux's go back to whatever you were using them for before you put on the USB playback? I hope so.

I'm still learning here so I guess I'd better get on with it and see what happens.

I don't think the USB socket on the XR12/16 does anything other than stereo playback and record to a USB stick. Pity, I could have done with more of an interface but fair enough, you get what you pay for.

Thanks for your help so far everyone, I really appreciate it.