Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

XR16 Output Question

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to determine which XR mixer is right for me before buying. My question is - can the MAIN and AUX outputs on the XR16 be configured individually? What I'm trying to do is take two six channel 5.1 sources and sending them to one set of monitors. So I need at least 12 inputs and 6 outputs. Can I do this with the XR16?

Thanks!
AndyGarfield Contributor - Level 2 2017-10-27

2017-10-27

XR16 Output Question

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to determine which XR mixer is right for me before buying. My question is - can the MAIN and AUX outputs on the XR16 be configured individually? What I'm trying to do is take two six channel 5.1 sources and sending them to one set of monitors. So I need at least 12 inputs and 6 outputs. Can I do this with the XR16?

Thanks!

• 0 Kudos
  • 11 Replies
Volunteer Moderator

Re: XR16 Output Question

What are you going to use it for?
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 2

What I'm trying to do is take two six channel 5.1 sources and send them to one set of 6 monitors. So I need at least 12 inputs and 6 outputs. Can I do this with the XR16?
Contributor - Level 3

Sort of. The aux outs can be configured individualy as almost anything, at almost any tap point. The Main outs can only be LR (post-fader only) or Monitor.

If you had 6 analogue sources in you could patch DOs (post-fader) from C,S,SL, and SR to the aux outs, and not have these assigned to the LR bus. You can Route FL and FR to the LR bus, and hard-pan each of them, so FL ends up on the L socket and FR ends up on the R socket. You'd probably want to use a DCA master on all 6x channels and use that as your "main" volume fader.

Keep in mind that this won't get you 5.1 panning though. IIRC someone was working on an app for that.

Download the Edit app
to see what's possible.
Contributor - Level 2

Thank you for your reply. So between the 2 mains and the 4 AUX outs, I can assign the discreet 6 outputs from two separate surround sources and send them to one set of six surround speakers. All I'll need to do is split the AUX outs into L and R?
Contributor - Level 3

I have done it before. As mentioned above I used the main L/R as the front L/R outputs, linked Bus 1 and 2 as a stereo pair form Rear L/R and used Buses 3 and 4 individually as Centre and LF outputs. I use Mixing Station Pro for remote control and used an IDCA that is available in that app to act as a master level control for all six input channels.
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks, Richard. What is an IDCA?
Contributor - Level 3

It is a software DCA implemented in Mixing Station to give you more customisable DCAs.

https://bugs.dev-core.org/w/ms/idca/
Rock Star - Level 1

Andy Garfield;134020 wrote:
Thank you for your reply. So between the 2 mains and the 4 AUX outs, I can assign the discreet 6 outputs from two separate surround sources and send them to one set of six surround speakers. All I'll need to do is split the AUX outs into L and R?

Hi Andy,

I'm not sure what you mean by "All I'll need to do is split the AUX outs into L and R?"

It sounds like you're working on a project similar to mine for a live theatre surround performance?

I'm using a setup just as Craig described it except I don't have LR hard-panned nor do I have SL and SR stereo linked as Richard did. The lack of hard-panning is because I'm also sending the performers mics to Main LR. All of the surround channels are being generated using ReaSurround in Reaper and being sent to an XR18 via USB so all surround panning is handled in Reaper (at the source output) which I suspect is what you have as well.

It also sounds like you'll need to create a couple of mute groups for your XR16 channels. One group would control say channels 1-6 (source 1) and the other would control channels 9-14 (source 2). What are you using to generate your surround stems or are they being decoded from a production source?

Ken
If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Contributor - Level 2

Hi Ken, Thanks for your reply.

Here's exactly what I'm doing:

I have 6 active monitors in my surround setup. I have 6 balanced surround channels coming out of my computer's audio interface and 6 analog channels coming out of the surround decoding device connected to my PS4. I'm trying to get the surround signals from both sources to use the one surround monitor setup.