Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

XR18 Ethernet connectivity delayed only the first time

Hi, I just got an XR18 and at this point I am quite unsure whether my device is working fine. What I observe is that, only the first time when I power on, the ethernet has a delay in that it does not establish connectivity for some time - at least 8 mins or so. After that it connects fine and for any subsequent restarts of XR18, the connectivity is established almost instantly. Once I have powered it off for say 2 hours, the same scenario repeats. I've tried doing factory reset but it's of no help.

I use a CAT5E cable to connect and I have my PC and XR 18 connected to a router in the middle. Can you tell me if there is a hardware fault or anything I can do to troubleshoot? I need to take a call on returning this within 2 days.
JohnSubas Contributor - Level 2 2017-07-23

2017-07-23

XR18 Ethernet connectivity delayed only the first time

Hi, I just got an XR18 and at this point I am quite unsure whether my device is working fine. What I observe is that, only the first time when I power on, the ethernet has a delay in that it does not establish connectivity for some time - at least 8 mins or so. After that it connects fine and for any subsequent restarts of XR18, the connectivity is established almost instantly. Once I have powered it off for say 2 hours, the same scenario repeats. I've tried doing factory reset but it's of no help.

I use a CAT5E cable to connect and I have my PC and XR 18 connected to a router in the middle. Can you tell me if there is a hardware fault or anything I can do to troubleshoot? I need to take a call on returning this within 2 days.

• 0 Kudos
  • 7 Replies
Contributor - Level 2

Re: XR18 Ethernet connectivity delayed only the first time

Hi John
In X Air Edit "Setup" your LAN should be set to DHCP (not DHCP server). Also your PC ethernet settings should be set to receive an IP address automatically (i.e as a DHCP client). If these are already in place then you could try signing into your router and using its DHCP function to establish a single fixed IP address for (a) your PC (say 192.168.1.2 or whatever is within it's assignable IP address range) and (b) your XR18 (eg 192.168.1.18). Save everything, re-boot and see what happens. You should see the address 192.168.1.18 appear in your X Air Edit connection screen in the "select mixer from list" box, with your PC IP address 192.168.1.2 also displayed lower down to the right
Contributor - Level 2

Hi Phil, thanks for the input. Just to be sure I used wireshark to capture packets coming out of XR18 and I could see for certainty that it sometimes takes 3 mins or more for the first packet to come out of XR18 when I power on after a long time. However once it starts working, then when I power off and on, I could see the packets coming out almost instantly.
Contributor - Level 2

John Subas;128059 wrote:
Hi Phil, thanks for the input. Just to be sure I used wireshark to capture packets coming out of XR18 and I could see for certainty that it sometimes takes 3 mins or more for the first packet to come out of XR18 when I power on after a long time. However once it starts working, then when I power off and on, I could see the packets coming out almost instantly.

As a DHCP client I would expect your XR18 to wait until it gets assigned an IP address from your router, so how do you know for sure the XR18 is holding things up? The router may be the culprit if it takes its own sweet time to search for clients / automatically assign them IP addresses when first booted up. My router takes about that long to boot up its wifi, but the ethernet should be quicker than that. What model router is it?
Contributor - Level 2

Hi Phil, to make things clear, when I used wireshark, the XR18 was directly connected to my PC and my intent was to determine whether the issue is due to DHCP being stuck. The wireshark was configured to receive only incoming traffic on that interface in my PC, where XR18 was connected. So I could see that, it takes a while for the first packet to come from XR18 -(I am looking for all packets from XR18, not just the OSC packets). Also when this issue occurred, we turned the switch to Access Point mode and the android phones can't detect it as well.

As I said, the issue happens when we power on after a long time. Once it has started working, the subsequent restarts however brings up the XR18 online instantly. As the Wifi Access point also does not work, we are suspecting a hardware issue at this point - a small capacitor or something that could have gone wrong?

The PC we have uses Windows 7, 32 bit. I will try again with a different 64 bit OS, though I would assume that shouldn't matter.
Contributor - Level 2

I confirmed it again. Sometimes it takes about 8 mins for the wireshark to capture the first DHCP DISCOVER coming out of ethernet port in XR18. Is there any further debugging possible? Does the XR18 keep or transmit any log related to its bootup process under any command?
Contributor - Level 3

This is really interesting. I believe I have observed this both with X Airs and with X32s. Sometimes, I get no connection on first bootup. I fiddle with networking settings, change IP addresses, reboot, just random troubleshooting, and eventually, it works. It will continue to work indefinitely, with no difficulty. Hadn't occurred to me that it might be a mixer behavior issue.
Rock Star - Level 1

Hi John,

Both of my XR18s boot and connect to the network in about 30 seconds. If I were you I'd call or email CARE and have it serviced under warranty. If it's under 30 days you may just be able to have it replaced where you bought it.

Ken
If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver