Contributor - Level 2

XR18 and problem connection some days (with router)

Hi.

Hopefully help me with a problem I have, sure to be a rookie in networks.

Some days, it's impossible that X-air app (i use android and ios, both) connect to the mixer. The app dont's "see" the XR18.

The procedure is always the usual. Mixer hard wired to router. I connect the tablet or ipad to router via wifi, open X-Air and... some days connect without problems, and others, the mixer does not appear.

Well, today I've had the same problem again, and doing tests when I finish the live concert, I discovered something.

After several reboots of mixer and router, finally the X-Air app saw the mixer, using the 5 Ghz network, and i could connect to the XR18.

Then I connected to the 2.4 Ghz network, and the problem came back. X-Air app can't see the mixer.

Why now 5 Ghz works and 2.4 ghz fails??

I check the properties of the connection on the iPad, and I see that the IP address that appears in the 5 Ghz network is different from the one in 2.4 Ghz.

Router 5 Ghz network: 192.168.1.101 IP Address
Router 2.4 Ghz network: 192.168.31.78 IP Address

Now I'm doing tests at home, quietly, and "the rare IP" appears in the 5 Ghz network. If i change to 2.4 ghz and I connect to the 5 Ghz network again... it shows 192.168.1.101 and i can connect to the mixer without problem.

What happen? I have to set a static IP manually on router, and to work like this forever? I do not understand hardly about networks, but it seems that it has to do with the router generating new ip's every time you connect to it, or something similar.

When this happens to me, I have to use the mixer with it's internal router, and sometimes I can not connect because of interference from other networks

Here another question arises. I have to put password to the internal router of the mixer? He does not have any. Could this be the source of connection problems? Someone told me that without a password, all phones try to connect to the mixer automatically, and that congests the network.

You are my hope. Regards.
RobertoDíaz Contributor - Level 2 11-11-2018

11-11-2018

XR18 and problem connection some days (with router)

Hi.

Hopefully help me with a problem I have, sure to be a rookie in networks.

Some days, it's impossible that X-air app (i use android and ios, both) connect to the mixer. The app dont's "see" the XR18.

The procedure is always the usual. Mixer hard wired to router. I connect the tablet or ipad to router via wifi, open X-Air and... some days connect without problems, and others, the mixer does not appear.

Well, today I've had the same problem again, and doing tests when I finish the live concert, I discovered something.

After several reboots of mixer and router, finally the X-Air app saw the mixer, using the 5 Ghz network, and i could connect to the XR18.

Then I connected to the 2.4 Ghz network, and the problem came back. X-Air app can't see the mixer.

Why now 5 Ghz works and 2.4 ghz fails??

I check the properties of the connection on the iPad, and I see that the IP address that appears in the 5 Ghz network is different from the one in 2.4 Ghz.

Router 5 Ghz network: 192.168.1.101 IP Address
Router 2.4 Ghz network: 192.168.31.78 IP Address

Now I'm doing tests at home, quietly, and "the rare IP" appears in the 5 Ghz network. If i change to 2.4 ghz and I connect to the 5 Ghz network again... it shows 192.168.1.101 and i can connect to the mixer without problem.

What happen? I have to set a static IP manually on router, and to work like this forever? I do not understand hardly about networks, but it seems that it has to do with the router generating new ip's every time you connect to it, or something similar.

When this happens to me, I have to use the mixer with it's internal router, and sometimes I can not connect because of interference from other networks

Here another question arises. I have to put password to the internal router of the mixer? He does not have any. Could this be the source of connection problems? Someone told me that without a password, all phones try to connect to the mixer automatically, and that congests the network.

You are my hope. Regards.

• 0 Kudos
  • 9 Replies
Volunteer Moderator

Re: XR18 and problem connection some days (with router)

Hi Roberto,

When you are having problems accessing the XR18 on the 2.4Ghz band, did you check to see if there are other routers close by on the same channel?

One of the local venues I regularly do sound at (a theatre above our local museum) have so many nearby routers that are automatically switching channels (trying to find a reliable channel) that it is impossible to find a clean channel. So all of my tablets (for both musician's monitor mixes as well as my FOH mix) now use only the 5Ghz band.
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator
Super Contributor - Level 2

Hi Roberto,

I have seen similar cases of changing IP addresses depending on the order in which devices are powered on. Usually you want the unit that issues IP addresses (DHCP Server) running before other devices start using the network. When this is not the case, some devices can take over the role temporarily and issue their own addresses.

In my usual configurations, the router is the DHCP Server so I start it at least one minute before turning on the XR and tablets. If this doesn't work for you, try turning on the XR first and waiting before starting the router. In either case, try to avoid your tablets and PCs attempting to connect before both the XR and router have completed their start-up.
Contributor - Level 2

A couple of things come to mind...

1. Are you plugging the XAir into the "Internet" port on the router (there is usually only 1), or one of the "LAN" ports (there are usual 3-5 such ports)?

I recommend you plug the XAir into one of the LAN ports.

2. Assuming the XAir is plugged into a LAN port of the router, you'll want to setup the router as the DHCP server (which should be the case by default), and TURN OFF the DHCP server on the XAir.

3. Configure the router's DHCP server to "reserve" an IP address for each client that connects to it. This is done through the web-based interface to the router. You should be able to find a screen that shows the MAC address of every connected client, and the IP address that has been assigned to it, and then click a button somewhere that tells the router "always use this IP address with this MAC address". That will keep your clients from getting assigned a different IP address each time they connect.
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks to all.

Paul, there aren't other routers near. This problem happens to me even in the forest. Is a IP's conflict, i agree.

Rex, i try all when i suffer this problem. Nothing, i start the router the first, I wait until the led indicates that the router is already working (one minut), and if the tablet shows 192.168.1.101 as ip address, and 192.168.1.1 as router... all works fine and i can connect with the mixer without problems. If I change several times of the network, from 2.4 Ghz to 5 Ghz and vice versa ... there comes a time when I have the problem of IP's. When the tablet indicates that the Ip address is 192.168.31.78 and the section of router says 192.168.31.1 ((is the default IP Xiaomi router that i'm using)... I can no longer connect to the mixer.

If the default router IP has "31", why sometimes it appears as 192.168.1.1 and others as 192.168.31.1? I only change the wifi connection from the tablet, and that happens.

Thomas, i always use the lan ports. I'll wait to try what you tell me, to see if they give me a simpler solution that allows me to use different routers without having to configure each of them. Is that I have two routers, one more powerful (but much larger) than another, and I carry the one I need in each case.

More ideas? There has to be a simple way to do this.
Contributor - Level 2

At the very least, you have to make sure only 1 thing is configured to be the DHCP server. It can either be the router, or the XR18, but it can't be both!
Contributor - Level 2

I'll keep it in mind, thomas. Let's see if I can solve the problem, thank you. Smiley Tongue
Contributor - Level 2

Hi.

I set the ip's of my controller devices (ipad, android tablet and android phone) to static, one to 192.168.1.101, other to the same but .102, and the last device .103.

For the moment all work without connection problems. Smiley Happy

I had tried to set the router with the mixer mac address , and other possible solutions, but nothing.

But i agree that i had two different problems, because once done what I told you, the ipad app connected to the first, the tablet with android the same (x-air android app), but the phone, with android x-air too... does not connect, even if you use the internal router of the table.

I start to try things out of curiosity, and i try the three android apps that i hace installed. Mixing Station free neither finds the wifi signal of the table (as x-air), but the PRO version connect without problem. Smiley Surprised

I unistall and reinstall x-air and mixing station free (the last releases), and then mixing station free already connects to the first attempt, problem fixed. But x-air... no!!!

Same x-air app, without problems on my tablet, but not connect on phone?? I always used x-air, and that's probably why I had connection problems, apart from the ip's problem.

The only thing I see is that the tablet uses android 5, and the phone android 7. I will use mixing station pro, but I'm surprised that the official application now does not connect from the phone.
Contributor - Level 2

I had a small issue with android phone connectivity to my external router/XR18 last Saturday which might possibly apply to your situation...

The solution seems obvious to me now but, early in the gig setup before the router was connected, I quickly connected via the XR18 access point to check something and then changed to the router's 5Ghz wifi a little later once it was available.

At that point I had what looked like a valid Mixing Station Pro session but I could see no input activity as the guys started connecting their instruments... hmmm... Check on the FOH laptop (hardwired to the router) and all was fine - could see normal input activity. Tried forgetting and reconnecting the router wifi connection on my phone, but still no joy.

It was only when I completely closed Mixing Station Pro, then launched and re-searched for the XR18 that all was well.

So the lesson seems to be (at least, on an Android phone/tablet), if you change the wifi source you need to close/restart Mixing Station Pro...
Contributor - Level 2

It's good to know, just in case the same thing happens to someone.

Anyway, when I had problems, even if I closed and opened the app, it did not work.

This is what is happening to me now with the original behringer android app, it never connects.