Contributor - Level 1

XR18 - using Logic Effects for live performance?

I'm a recent convert to the XR18 for my five-piece cover band. We're using it for rehearsal but haven't used it live yet. So far, I am loving this amazing piece of kit. 

Apologies if this is a stupid question.

But can I use Logic Pro X effects during live performances by routing the individual tracks through Logic and back to the XR18?

I'm happy to use the XR18 effects like Compressor, EQ etc (although I'm no expert!!) on individual tracks. However, I would like to put some more sound-changing effects on our electric piano - which I have done when post-mixing live multi-track performances already.

Can I do that live? As an example, here is a link to a live performance of Mr Brightside, remixed afterwards in Logic - the intro is the piano made to sound like a guitar (because we have only one guitarist and he's playing rhythm). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jujRNKmMng0

I don't think it's possible to change the sound so significantly with the Behringer guitar amp effect (I haven't been able to anyway). Hence the desire to route the sound through Logic and back. 

Any help would be much appreciated. 

MikeNorton Contributor - Level 1 2019-05-01

2019-05-01

XR18 - using Logic Effects for live performance?

I'm a recent convert to the XR18 for my five-piece cover band. We're using it for rehearsal but haven't used it live yet. So far, I am loving this amazing piece of kit. 

Apologies if this is a stupid question.

But can I use Logic Pro X effects during live performances by routing the individual tracks through Logic and back to the XR18?

I'm happy to use the XR18 effects like Compressor, EQ etc (although I'm no expert!!) on individual tracks. However, I would like to put some more sound-changing effects on our electric piano - which I have done when post-mixing live multi-track performances already.

Can I do that live? As an example, here is a link to a live performance of Mr Brightside, remixed afterwards in Logic - the intro is the piano made to sound like a guitar (because we have only one guitarist and he's playing rhythm). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jujRNKmMng0

I don't think it's possible to change the sound so significantly with the Behringer guitar amp effect (I haven't been able to anyway). Hence the desire to route the sound through Logic and back. 

Any help would be much appreciated. 

• 0 Kudos
  • 5 Replies
Volunteer Moderator

Re: XR18 - using Logic Effects for live performance?

Hi Mike @MikeNorton,

Welcome to the forum. There is no such thing as a stupid question - and we rarely have a stupid answer here 

Yes you could use Logic to add desired effects to a specific channel (eg. electric piano). But there may be a certain amount of latency due to the speed of the USB interface and processing power of Logic and the computer. That said, here is how to setup the routing for it. Assume the electric keyboard is on channel 10.

* Setup, USB Send - assign Channel 10 (analog tap) to USB 1

* Setup, USB Return - assign USB 1 to Channel 10

* Channel 10 strip, Input - select USB and adjust the trim.

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator
Contributor - Level 3

Or just use a distortion pedal on the piano.
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks for your reply. Really helpful.

Do you mind if I ask another question? I'm not entirely confident that my compressor/EQ settings are right on the XR18, simply because I'm a real newbie in terms of sound engineering. Is there a thread where I can post my settings file for feedback from people who know a lot more about it?

And finally, one more question... can I run virtual soundcheck from Logic to the X Air App on my MacBook Pro WITHOUT the Behringer XR18 being connected? ie routing through the internal sound settings of the MB Pro from Logic to the X Air app? The box is in our rehearsal room and it would be easier to do it at home without it. 

Thanks again for your help and sorry for all the questions.

Contributor - Level 3

If you're asking about compression on vocals start with this : Turn on the key filter, set it to Self (default setting).

Set the filter to LC6 fader at bottom of scale
set the frequency to 1k for "normal" male vocal, or up to 2k5 for a female.
Set the attack and release to around 40ms, play with the hold, I start at 10ms and the ratio at either 5:1 or 7:1.
Set the threshold so that only the quietest notes fail to hit the threshold.
Play with the knee settings from there, I usually start with 2 or 3.

Highlighted
Super Contributor - Level 2

The X-Air application on the Mac connects to the XR18 via a network cable. No audio is involved with the X-Air application - just controls.

Audio to the XR18 comes from either the analog inputs or the USB "returns". You have to have cables plugged in to get any audio in.

I got very good at disconnecting my XR18 from it's home studio location to take it on the road to record. About 2 minutes to unplug and pack. You will need to connect the XR18 by USB to do a virtual soundcheck.

Logic Pro X 10.4.6, X-Touch 1.15, XR18 1.5, macOS 10.14.5