EdGelmetti Contributor - Level 2 2016-10-31

2016-10-31

XR18 with TouchOSC, other OSC Clients

Has anyone has success in using TouchOSC and perhaps Lemur with the XR18?

I'm shifting the mixing duties from my Macbook/Firewire setup with Reaper to the XR18 for mixing, the Macbook for backing tracks and synths.

In order to control my whole system, I used Lemur (bandmates setup with TouchOSC) to control Reaper via OSC which was very easy to set setup with both Lemur and TouchOSC.

With the XR18, I can only get TouchOSC to send data, which the XR18 receives, but does not send corresponding data back to TouchOSC. Lemur simply doesn't seem to work.

I am trying to build separate AUX sends for each performer, from which, they control a preset of sliders related to their headphone mix. I know the commands to be sent but when using TouchOSC, I can see the slider move on X Edit, but when I move the slider in X Edit, I do not see the response on OSC client.

With Lemur, I'm trying to be a little more sophisticated. I want to continue using the template I have with Reaper (controls song selections), but add an additional OSC interface (OSC1) to send mixing commands to the XR18.

I wouldn't claim to be an OSC expert, but I've worked with it and Reaper for several years now with several OSC clients, so I've run into the usual networking and data structure issues.

The XR18 is stumping me...I can't get TouchOSC to receive data, nothing from Lemur.

Any luck with your own OSC attempts using these clients?

• 0 Kudos
  • 85 Replies
Contributor - Level 2

Re: XR18 with TouchOSC, other OSC Clients

I'm planning to put in an X32 Rack at a church and I was hoping to make a custom, simple iPad interface for it. I was going to use TouchOSC, but I didn't realize it wasn't compatible with the X32 out of the box. I think I'll only need scene recall, channel fader, and bus/master level.

Volunteer Moderator

@droberts wrote:

I'm planning to put in an X32 Rack at a church and I was hoping to make a custom, simple iPad interface for it. 

Sorry, I thought you mentioned that you wanted to do it with a Raspberry Pi. If you are planning on using an iPad, why not use Mixing Station Pro with a custom layout?

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Rising Star - Level 2

@droberts 

If you are running an iPad, get Mixing Station. You can do custom layouts. Highly recommended by lots of users on this forum. I think it would be perfect for what you want.

Contributor - Level 2

I was just planning to use the Raspberry Pi to run something like XAirRemote or X32Reaper to "bridge" the two devices, since TouchOSC can't talk directly to the X32 in a bi-directional manner.

I'll try out Mixing Station and check out the custom layout features. I'm planning to use a very simple interface, I wasn't sure if apps like Mixing Station allowed that level of customization.

Rising Star - Level 3

Hi David ( @droberts ), 

Based on this "I think I'll only need scene recall, channel fader, and bus/master level."  I'll take a look at what it would take to create an X32Remote bridge.  I'll need some help testing it out since my X32 Rack is currently on loan, possibly permanently, to a local theatre group.  They've actually been asking me about creating some TouchOSC screens for the Rack, since they already got a taste of it with XAirRemote. I'm going to use Patrick's X32 emulator to develop and unit test the code. 

As others have said, Mixing Station Pro is a good option.  When I first started working on XAirRemote it wasn't available on the iPad so that was part of my motivation. 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Highlighted
Rising Star - Level 3

Hi David ( @droberts ), 

I've got an alpha version of X32Remote running on a Raspberry Pi.  So far I've got CH01-32 faders, mutes, and pans working as well as the Main Stereo fader and mute.  Working out a problem with the solo buttons now and then I'll move on to the buses. 

Send me a PM and I'll send you a link to a binary to try out. 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver