Contributor - Level 2

XR18 with TouchOSC, other OSC Clients

Has anyone has success in using TouchOSC and perhaps Lemur with the XR18?

I'm shifting the mixing duties from my Macbook/Firewire setup with Reaper to the XR18 for mixing, the Macbook for backing tracks and synths.

In order to control my whole system, I used Lemur (bandmates setup with TouchOSC) to control Reaper via OSC which was very easy to set setup with both Lemur and TouchOSC.

With the XR18, I can only get TouchOSC to send data, which the XR18 receives, but does not send corresponding data back to TouchOSC. Lemur simply doesn't seem to work.

I am trying to build separate AUX sends for each performer, from which, they control a preset of sliders related to their headphone mix. I know the commands to be sent but when using TouchOSC, I can see the slider move on X Edit, but when I move the slider in X Edit, I do not see the response on OSC client.

With Lemur, I'm trying to be a little more sophisticated. I want to continue using the template I have with Reaper (controls song selections), but add an additional OSC interface (OSC1) to send mixing commands to the XR18.

I wouldn't claim to be an OSC expert, but I've worked with it and Reaper for several years now with several OSC clients, so I've run into the usual networking and data structure issues.

The XR18 is stumping me...I can't get TouchOSC to receive data, nothing from Lemur.

Any luck with your own OSC attempts using these clients?
EdGelmetti Contributor - Level 2 2016-10-31

2016-10-31

XR18 with TouchOSC, other OSC Clients

Has anyone has success in using TouchOSC and perhaps Lemur with the XR18?

I'm shifting the mixing duties from my Macbook/Firewire setup with Reaper to the XR18 for mixing, the Macbook for backing tracks and synths.

In order to control my whole system, I used Lemur (bandmates setup with TouchOSC) to control Reaper via OSC which was very easy to set setup with both Lemur and TouchOSC.

With the XR18, I can only get TouchOSC to send data, which the XR18 receives, but does not send corresponding data back to TouchOSC. Lemur simply doesn't seem to work.

I am trying to build separate AUX sends for each performer, from which, they control a preset of sliders related to their headphone mix. I know the commands to be sent but when using TouchOSC, I can see the slider move on X Edit, but when I move the slider in X Edit, I do not see the response on OSC client.

With Lemur, I'm trying to be a little more sophisticated. I want to continue using the template I have with Reaper (controls song selections), but add an additional OSC interface (OSC1) to send mixing commands to the XR18.

I wouldn't claim to be an OSC expert, but I've worked with it and Reaper for several years now with several OSC clients, so I've run into the usual networking and data structure issues.

The XR18 is stumping me...I can't get TouchOSC to receive data, nothing from Lemur.

Any luck with your own OSC attempts using these clients?

• 0 Kudos
  • 85 Replies
Valued Contributor - Level 1

Re: XR18 with TouchOSC, other OSC Clients

Hi Ed,

I did some experimenting awhile back with TouchOSC but was never able to get it to work correctly with the XR18. I'm assuming what you did was set the Send port in TouchOSC to 10024 so you were able to send commands to the XR18? The problem is that the XR18 responds on the source port from the UDP packet and not to the Receive port as defined in TouchOSC. I'd love to get TouchOSC working with the XR18 so please let me know if you figure anything out.

--Ken
If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Contributor - Level 2

Have you tried this command to ask for updates from the xr?
/xremotenfb
You have to send that every 10 seconds.

The problem Ken mentions is the reason I couldn't any osc programs to work well last time I tried.

I've sent an email to the TouchOSC developer asking him if he could add an option that uses the TouchOSC "Receive Port" as the source port when sending messages to the XR18. Not sure yet how to handle the periodic /xremotenfb requests.

--Ken
If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Contributor - Level 2

Hi Ken,

The X AIR will only transmit parameter changes to clients that have asked to be notified. To request these notifications there are two possible commands that the client can send:

/xremote
/xremotenfb

They operate identically but the second one will only send notifications for parameters that weren't changed by this client, whereas the first will get notifications of all changes which gives you the possibility of checking whether a parameter change was received successfully at the cost of more network traffic (that is really irrelevant as you know what you changed it to).

The request is valid for 10 seconds to avoid sending data to clients that are no longer there (contrary to the terminology used in the apps and peoples general perception there is no concept of a connection of any sort using OSC over UDP). So, to continue receiving notifications the request command has to be issued every 10 seconds or less.

If you can find a way to send one of these commands every 10 seconds using TouchOSC then you will be good to go

Thanks Dave for the clarification. I didn't know that's how it worked since most of what I've been working on was brute force getting and setting configurations and not displaying status.

I didn't even get an ACK from the TouchOSC developer so I don't expect that to go too far. Combining the send/receive port issue with the need to continually send /remote or /xremotenfb messages probably makes it a no-go for TouchOSC directly.

That's led me to another idea... What about a TouchOSC relay that could communicate with both the XR18 and TouchOSC. One side of the program would carry on a dialog with the XR18 using UDP port 10024 while the other side of the program would converse with TouchOSC via UDP 8000 and 9000. OSC messages coming from TouchOSC would be relayed to the XR and parameter changes from XR would be relayed to TouchOSC. There could even be a translation layer that allowed for say, a single TouchOSC object to control a number of controls within the XR.

Thoughts?

--Ken
Contributor - Level 2

Ken Mitchell;88748 wrote:

That's led me to another idea... What about a TouchOSC relay that could communicate with both the XR18 and TouchOSC. One side of the program would carry on a dialog with the XR18 using UDP port 10024 while the other side of the program would converse with TouchOSC via UDP 8000 and 9000. OSC messages coming from TouchOSC would be relayed to the XR and parameter changes from XR would be relayed to TouchOSC. There could even be a translation layer that allowed for say, a single TouchOSC object to control a number of controls within the XR.

Thoughts?

--Ken

I was attempting this exactly this morning! But...no luck.

With Pd, I was able to relay through my Mac->Router->XR18 using port 10024, but still, no response from the XR18.

Also, I looked at OSCulator but I could figure out how to relay commands.

The ONLY stand-alone OSC client I have seen elicit a response (besides APPs in the App Store) from the XR18 is the X-Air LiveTool box.

I see that when it connects, it fires off /info, and there is a status reply. Of course, I have to send /xremotenfb to see any feedback from the XR18, which only lasts 10 seconds.

Using /xremotenfb when directly connecting TouchOSC to the XR18, I do not get a response.

So, what's messed up about the XR18's implementation of OSC?

Cockos Reaper's OSC implementation is straight forward, and every client I've played with works well with Reaper....so what gives Behringer? Why the odd implementation? Because, that's how I see it. Odd!!
Contributor - Level 2

You seem to be confused about ports. The X Air will respond to whatever port sends the request so it really doesn'the matter what port the client is using.

OSC works fine for me. I have my own personal Windows (C#) and Android (Java) apps running trouble free with OSC code that I have coded myself - no 3rd party libraries - so it shouldn'the be a problem.
Contributor - Level 2

I managed to get it working with PD
Contributor - Level 2

Phil Smith;88785 wrote:
I managed to get it working with PD

Ideally, I'd like to create a relay which bridges TouchOSC (for a custom and concise interface) to the XR18 via Pd. I can send commands from TouchOSC through Pd and see a response on the XR18, but nothing from the XR18 returns.

My setup uses an external router to which both my Mac and XR18 are tethered with static addresses.

I would appreciate it if you would share your Pd file, or explain the process.
    Go to page