EdGelmetti Contributor - Level 2 2016-10-31

2016-10-31

XR18 with TouchOSC, other OSC Clients

Has anyone has success in using TouchOSC and perhaps Lemur with the XR18?

I'm shifting the mixing duties from my Macbook/Firewire setup with Reaper to the XR18 for mixing, the Macbook for backing tracks and synths.

In order to control my whole system, I used Lemur (bandmates setup with TouchOSC) to control Reaper via OSC which was very easy to set setup with both Lemur and TouchOSC.

With the XR18, I can only get TouchOSC to send data, which the XR18 receives, but does not send corresponding data back to TouchOSC. Lemur simply doesn't seem to work.

I am trying to build separate AUX sends for each performer, from which, they control a preset of sliders related to their headphone mix. I know the commands to be sent but when using TouchOSC, I can see the slider move on X Edit, but when I move the slider in X Edit, I do not see the response on OSC client.

With Lemur, I'm trying to be a little more sophisticated. I want to continue using the template I have with Reaper (controls song selections), but add an additional OSC interface (OSC1) to send mixing commands to the XR18.

I wouldn't claim to be an OSC expert, but I've worked with it and Reaper for several years now with several OSC clients, so I've run into the usual networking and data structure issues.

The XR18 is stumping me...I can't get TouchOSC to receive data, nothing from Lemur.

Any luck with your own OSC attempts using these clients?

• 0 Kudos
  • 85 Replies
Contributor - Level 2

Re: XR18 with TouchOSC, other OSC Clients

I would also suggest putting in a feature request to TouchOSC that they allow restriction of their sending port to the defined receive port if that's the only port it's capable of receiving on. It does make sense that the server would respond to the port the client sent the request on as the X AIR and X32 do in my opinion.

The X AIR works just fine with OSC. If it didn't none of the apps, official or 3rd party, would work either yet they all do.
Valued Contributor - Level 1

Hi Dave,

I don't disagree that there are many apps already working with the XAir and X32 and the root of the problem with TouchOSC is in the implementation. I sent a feature request to the TouchOSC developer about a week ago but have yet to get an acknowledgement.

I'll probably continue to work on the OSCII-bot mods for awhile as I see some additional value in this tool beyond TouchOSC. I have an X-Touch Mini (MIDI) that I use with Reaper and I'd like to use that with an XR18. Someone else had mentioned wanting to get a BCR2000 working as well.

--Ken
If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Super Contributor - Level 1

Ed Gelmetti;88751 wrote:
I was attempting this exactly this morning! But...no luck.

With Pd, I was able to relay through my Mac->Router->XR18 using port 10024, but still, no response from the XR18.

Also, I looked at OSCulator but I could figure out how to relay commands.

The ONLY stand-alone OSC client I have seen elicit a response (besides APPs in the App Store) from the XR18 is the X-Air LiveTool box.

I see that when it connects, it fires off /info, and there is a status reply. Of course, I have to send /xremotenfb to see any feedback from the XR18, which only lasts 10 seconds.

Using /xremotenfb when directly connecting TouchOSC to the XR18, I do not get a response.

So, what's messed up about the XR18's implementation of OSC?

Cockos Reaper's OSC implementation is straight forward, and every client I've played with works well with Reaper....so what gives Behringer? Why the odd implementation? Because, that's how I see it. Odd!!

Ed - You can do what you want in Max/MSP using sadam.udpSender and sadam.udpReceiver...

https://cycling74.com/forums/topic/announce-the-sadam-library-version-2014-04-30/#.WCXNu3el3qM

If you need any help, just ask...

John M

In parallel with looking into OSCII-bot mods (ugh, C++) I've spent some time porting Patrick's X32Reaper to support the XAir as well as getting it to work with TouchOSC. Attached is a screenshot of what I have working in TouchOSC so far. Channel faders, mutes, and solos all work as well as being able to reflect a channel name change in TouchOSC.

I've also attached some log snippets for those who want to see how the transactions work.

There's still a lot more work to be done but I'm happy to have some faders and buttons working.

--Ken
If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver

Panning is now working as well.

See attached.

Of course this image is just a sample layout since with TouchOSC you can do any kind of control layout you want. As long as you set the OSC properties correctly for each TouchOSC control it should send/receive messages to/from the XAirRemote relay.

Here's the current XAir <--> TouchOSC mapping:

/ch/xx/mix/fader <--> /track/xx/volume
/ch/xx/mix/pan <--> /track/xx/pan
/ch/xx/mix/on <--> /track/xx/mute
/-stat/solosw/xx <--> /track/xx/solo
/ch/xx/config/name --> /track/xx/name

In case you are wondering why I'm using a mapping it's so I can maintain support for Reaper using the same code. Reaper calls them tracks not channels thus the mapping.

--Ken
Contributor - Level 2

John Milner;89208 wrote:
Ed - You can do what you want in Max/MSP using sadam.udpSender and sadam.udpReceiver...

https://cycling74.com/forums/topic/announce-the-sadam-library-version-2014-04-30/#.WCXNu3el3qM

If you need any help, just ask...

John M

John - thanks for the tip. My version of Max is via Ableton Live. I spent the weekend searching and trying different setups - the best I could figure out was a patcher that simply sent a fader command from the patcher.

I could receive data into Max, but never got it to relay out of Max towards the XR18.

I got my hands on Siska Adam's externals, installed them, all is good. However, I simply cannot get the XR18 to respond.

I looked at this post: https://cycling74.com/forums/topic/absolutely-going-mad-osc-udp/#.WCpmVhIrKHp

From the last post, there's a patcher. With the appropriate changes to IPs and ports, the closest I got was to send the fader to the XR18, to which the XR18 responded, but never a response.

Maybe it has something to do with Ableton?

If you have some ideas on this, I'd be very grateful!

Thanks for all your help so far!

Ed
Contributor - Level 2

Ken Mitchell;89302 wrote:

See attached.

Of course this image is just a sample layout since with TouchOSC you can do any kind of control layout you want. As long as you set the OSC properties correctly for each TouchOSC control it should send/receive messages to/from the XAirRemote relay.

In case you are wondering why I'm using a mapping it's so I can maintain support for Reaper using the same code. Reaper calls them tracks not channels thus the mapping.

--Ken

Ken - can you share your OSCII-bot script yet?

I've very curious how you got this to work!

Thanks for your help!

Ed

Hi Ed,

I'm not using OSCII-bot yet for what I'm doing. OSCII-bot is written in C++ and I need to do some refresher studies before I'll be able to make the needed changes.

For now I'm porting a program called X32Reaper, written in C by Patrick Gilles-Maillot to the XAir and I'm also making it a bit more general purpose so it can support TouchOSC.

I need another day or so to clean things up before I'll ready to put something into the wild but I'm getting close.

I've sent you a PM to discuss "alpha" testing.

Ken

Ed Gelmetti;89384 wrote:

From the last post, there's a patcher. With the appropriate changes to IPs and ports, the closest I got was to send the fader to the XR18, to which the XR18 responded, but never a response.

Ed,

After re-reading your post I think you are really close. All I think you need to do is send an "/remote" message to the XR every 10 seconds and then you'll get the responses back from the XR. Since you got the fader to control the XR the /ch/xx/mix/fader messages are getting to the XR.

--Ken

Ken Mitchell;89302 wrote:

See attached.

--Ken

LR is now working and I've sent the first "alpha" code to Ed for some "external" testing.

/lr/mix/fader <-> /master/volume
/lr/mix/pan <-> /master/pan
/lr/mix/on <-> /master/mute
/-stat/solosw/50 <-> master/solo

I've also added a new OSC message (/sync) that can be sent from the remote controller. Instead of forwarding this message to the XAir it triggers a parameter refresh similar to the Mixer->PC synchronization that's done when X-Air-Edit starts up.

Any brave souls running on a Mac interested in "alpha" testing please PM me.

--Ken
    Go to page