Contributor - Level 2

Xr18 aux + effects won’t work when MacBook is plugged in

Video Link Here

Link has video of problem - 

basically I used to record live with XR18 but recently whenever a signal goes through it the volume output for the AUX and the Effects drops to zero. Which means I can’t record my band live which I really need to do soon!! 

PhilWing Contributor - Level 2 2019-08-12

2019-08-12

Xr18 aux + effects won’t work when MacBook is plugged in

Video Link Here

Link has video of problem - 

basically I used to record live with XR18 but recently whenever a signal goes through it the volume output for the AUX and the Effects drops to zero. Which means I can’t record my band live which I really need to do soon!! 

• 0 Kudos
  • 8 Replies

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super Contributor - Level 2

Re: Xr18 aux + effects won’t work when MacBook is plugged in

@PhilWing wrote:

Not using midi for anything (that I know of) - connected MacBook via USB - when disconnecting the USB everything works fine 

@PhilWing 

Try turning off the XR18's Midi options - in case your DAW is sending unwanted commands. The options are on the Setup -> Audio/Midi page. Like this:

XR18 Midi.PNG

@PhilWing 

Hi Phil, I have seen similar things happen when there are problems with the network connection. How are you connecting the MacBook to the XR18? Do you see the same problem with other control devices? Are you using Midi for anything?

Contributor - Level 2

Not using midi for anything (that I know of) - connected MacBook via USB - when disconnecting the USB everything works fine 

Highlighted

@PhilWing wrote:

@PhilWing 

Try turning off the XR18's Midi options - in case your DAW is sending unwanted commands. The options are on the Setup -> Audio/Midi page. Like this:

XR18 Midi.PNG

Valued Contributor - Level 1

Oops. Hadn't refreshed. @RexBeckett 's approach is much more forceful and definitive. 

Hi @PhilWing ,

Can you save a scene file with and without the USB cable connected to the Macbook?  Since this is done through Ethernet or WiFi, you should still be able to use X-Air Edit to do this.  Comparing the two scene files should give us a clue as to what might be going on. 

Hope this helps, 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Contributor - Level 2

Cheers guys I’ll give it a go when I’m back and have access - really appreciate the help 

Contributor - Level 2

Fantastic! 

So the issue didn’t exactly replicate at home, but when plugging in the MacBook via usb, the levels dropped again - 

looked at the settings and there were a few of the midi options ticked. The one which would change the volume outputs of the aux’s was when ‘USB Rx’ was selected - since unselecting that, the volume doesn’t drop so I’m assuming it is now fixed!!! Thanks for this!

Valued Contributor - Level 1

Hi @PhilWing , 

Turning off the MIDI Rx on the XR18 is a workaround, but that's kind of like putting a piece of tape over a red fault LED.  You probably want to figure out what on your Macbook is sending MIDI messages to the XR18 and turn that off.  There's a free program for the Mac called MIDI Monitor that allows you to "spy on output to destinations" with an "All" option.   From there you can de-select sources to isolate who's doing it and then address it at the source. 

Hope this helps, 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Contributor - Level 2

I will do, and thanks again!