Contributor - Level 2

Xr18 effects problems

Hi there, I said I'd be back!

I'm still trying to work my way around my new XR18 but it isn't easy for me to get to grips with.

I'm trying to add some effects to our bassist and percussionist's channels as they also do a few backing vocals during numbers.

I'm using my iPad with the latest update, ( installed last week) but no matter how I try to follow the instructions on line I'm struggling. 
The only video I've found that shows the same format on the iPad screen as mine is from Behringer but even following every instruction from the guy explaining it the effects won't come through my speakers, FOH or monitors. 
The only effect window that seems to work intermittently is effect 2.

And to make matters worse, if I select Vintage Room Reverb in any effect window when I click on it to enter it the whole app crashes and I have to reconnect and start again.

There are some pretty negative comments on the XAir app page that I had a look at before I downloaded the app, is this the type of problem that they are complaining about or am I yet again showing my complete lack of savvy when it comes to computers?
Again, any help would be appreciated.

Frenchie

Frenchie Contributor - Level 2 2020-01-13

2020-01-13

Xr18 effects problems

Hi there, I said I'd be back!

I'm still trying to work my way around my new XR18 but it isn't easy for me to get to grips with.

I'm trying to add some effects to our bassist and percussionist's channels as they also do a few backing vocals during numbers.

I'm using my iPad with the latest update, ( installed last week) but no matter how I try to follow the instructions on line I'm struggling. 
The only video I've found that shows the same format on the iPad screen as mine is from Behringer but even following every instruction from the guy explaining it the effects won't come through my speakers, FOH or monitors. 
The only effect window that seems to work intermittently is effect 2.

And to make matters worse, if I select Vintage Room Reverb in any effect window when I click on it to enter it the whole app crashes and I have to reconnect and start again.

There are some pretty negative comments on the XAir app page that I had a look at before I downloaded the app, is this the type of problem that they are complaining about or am I yet again showing my complete lack of savvy when it comes to computers?
Again, any help would be appreciated.

Frenchie

• 0 Kudos
  • 6 Replies
Rising Star - Level 2

Re: Xr18 effects problems

@Frenchie  I would suggest getting Mixing Station Pro for the iPad, it's I think $8 and worth every penny. You would be well served as you are new to all XR18 so not a lot of time invested yet. It is different but It's well supported, and stable and user customizable. Recently ported for iPad and iPhone use. Fx are a (with regard to monitor/aux mixes) sort of a 3 step process. Step 1 is every ch that needs the fx has to be sent to it. (Ch sends) Step 2 is  making sure the fx return faders are up, that will get your fx to mains. You also have to make sure those return faders are up in the monitor mixes just like any input ch has its fader up to be heard. That's the third part. If your tools are screwed up it only complicates the issue, getting an app that works well will really help imo.

Rock Star - Level 1

Hi @Frenchie , 

Do you have a Mac or Windows PC you could use to run XAir Edit?  As much as I love Mixing Station for mixing, I still prefer to use XAir Edit for show setup and for testing/experimenting/learning.  I mentor tech theatre students and for whatever reason, I just find it easier to explain things using XAir Edit. 

Hope this helps,

Ken 

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Contributor - Level 2

Hi Gary, 

I decided to get the Mixing station app as you suggested and now I'm completely lost 😄😄.

I can't for the life of me work out how to connect to my monitors, no amount of head scratching is working! 
There are plenty of tutorials on YouTube about customising the mixer to suit what you want but none that I can find for dummies like me.

Perhaps you could point me in the right direction?

Contributor - Level 2

Hi Ken,

I have access to my wife's Dell laptop running windows 10 but it won't be coming out with me to gigs.

I had considered doing the setup at home on the PC and just using the iPad for a few tweaks at the venues if that would be possible.

Computers have never been a part of my every day life so this is all rather daunting for me.

If you fancy doing a bit of tutoring over here in rural France we have a spare room!
Frenchie

Rising Star - Level 2

@Frenchie Well...nothing as good as working at it, struggling a bit and learning from mistakes, we all did at one point. Asking specific questions here will get you lots of help. I think @KenMitchell may be correct with regards to X32 Edit. If you have access to a computer that uses it. You can see more of a global view with it. Still a learning curve either way. You kind of need to be fluent in both! I thought you were just looking for an iPad app. You will happy with it sooner or later, of that I'm sure.

Highlighted
Rock Star - Level 1

Hi @Frenchie

If you're near Bourdeau, I'll be on the plane in the morning. Smiley Happy

Seriously, as @GaryHiggins said, it takes a while to get comfortable with using the mixer and the software. Unlike an analog mixer, it's harder to "see" what is connected to what.  Also, unlike analog, signals can be routed to several places at once.  I spent more than a month with my first XR18 before I even tried to use it at a rehearsal. 

My recommendation is to start off slow and try to visualize what you are doing as if you were setting up an analog console.  There's a lot more flexibility in the digital world but if you start with the analog model, it helps to keep things in perspective, at least it did for me. 

Hope this helps, 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver