DanRichardson Contributor - Level 3 2017-02-28

2017-02-28

iPad hardwired to ethernet

Ethernet support on the iPad is an app-by-app thing. Safari supports it, Weather Underground supports it, Dark Sky doesn't, Mail does, Reeder 3 does, Nebulous doesn't, etc. How about X Air?

A post on Facebook prompted me to finally try this, and it almost works.

X Air 1.5 on iPad Air iOS 10.whatever's current
Apple Lightning/USB3 adapter w/ Lightning power in
Apple USB/ethernet adapter

iPad in Airplane mode, all radios off.
Open X Air, no response, doesn't see my XR18.

However!

If I turn on wifi, let it find the XR, connect to it, and then turn WIFI back off, it continues to work! I can Home out of the app and go do something else, return and it's still connected. If I shut down the app, I have to use WIFI to reconnect. Interestingly, if I pull the ethernet cable, I get the disconnected message, but if I put it back, it reconnects.

It's really close to working.

• 0 Kudos
  • 22 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

Router?

Dan Richardson;117761 wrote:
If I turn on wifi, let it find the XR, connect to it, and then turn WIFI back off, it continues to work! I can Home out of the app and go do something else, return and it's still connected. If I shut down the app, I have to use WIFI to reconnect. Interestingly, if I pull the ethernet cable, I get the disconnected message, but if I put it back, it reconnects.

It's really close to working.

Dan thanks for the post! Are you accomplishing this through a router?

I tried to replicate what you accomplished with just the x-air, but the ethernet wont work without the REMOTE set to ethernet, in that case I cant get the ipad to pick up the xair through wifi.

Do you have x-air > router. Then you connect the iPad via wifi to the router, ethernet it in, then turn off wifi on the iPad?
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Re: iPad hardwired to ethernet

Weston Childers;119700 wrote:
Dan thanks for the post! Are you accomplishing this through a router?

Yes. The only thing I would do with the built-in WIFI is to use it to configure the ethernet port to talk to a real router.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

Dan Richardson;119708 wrote:
Yes. The only thing I would do with the built-in WIFI is to use it to configure the ethernet port to talk to a real router.

Thanks for the quick response. I am off to give it a try.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Bumping this post to say it sure would be great if iPad ethernet just worked. It's so close.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

I would love to get this to work too, but without requiring external router in the mix. Just ethernet cable from X AIR RJ45 port to iPad via connectors.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Jon Duvick;133329 wrote:
Just ethernet cable from X AIR RJ45 port to iPad via connectors.

Hadn't even occurred to me, but of course that would work if the fixed the search to work via cable. Either static IPs or turn on DHCP in the mixer.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Interesting. I've been connecting without going through the wifi on-wifi off dance by simply starting out with wifi off on my iPad, launching XR-Edit, and typing in my XR-12's IP address, select Connect.

Of course, the XR switch needs to be on Ethernet at power up, and you should get the proper LED flashing Remote light if your Lightning/USB/Ethernet doo-dads are connected and working.

I even made a keyboard text replacement shortcut so i can type in the IP address quickly by just typing x.x.

p.s. you gotta use apple connectors/adapters!
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

David Fin;118236 wrote:
When connected this way, is it a reliable connection?

Rock solid, and more responsive than wifi.

David Fin;118236 wrote:

Can you use a usb hub to plug usb into the XR and record audio with iPad, at the same time Ethernet controls XR with XR iPad app?

I haven't tested audio recording, but I do use use a USB hub to connect a MIDI setup, and the hub works without issues. I have a sense the audio recording should work without issue. This is my connection chain through the USB hub:

Lightning-to-USB adapter <--> USB Hub <--> USB-to-Ethernet adapter + USB-to-MIDI adapter + Akai MIDIMix

USB-to-MIDI adapter --> MIDI splitter --> MIDI devices (including XR12)

David Fin;118236 wrote:

If you have iPad Ethernet controlling XR, and you turn iPad WIFI back on, can you simultaneously listen to online music source from wifi connection to local network, while controlling XR with Ethernet?

I haven't tested this configuration, but I think it may be wifi OR Ethernet, not wifi AND Ethernet.
Highlighted
Rock Star - Level 3

[COLOR=#3E3E3E][FONT=myriad-pro]
David Fin wrote[/FONT][/COLOR]
If you have iPad Ethernet controlling XR, and you turn iPad WIFI back on, can you simultaneously listen to online music source from wifi connection to local network, while controlling XR with Ethernet?

[COLOR=#3E3E3E][FONT=myriad-pro]
I haven't tested this configuration, but I think it may be wifi OR Ethernet, not wifi AND Ethernet.

IOS and Android only have a single network stack so they only support one network connection at a time. I have seen an Android app that could use more than one connection but it had code beyond what was supported in the OS.

Ken[/FONT][/COLOR]
If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

John Baker;133621 wrote:
Interesting. I've been connecting without going through the wifi on-wifi off dance by simply starting out with wifi off on my iPad, launching XR-Edit, and typing in my XR-12's IP address, select Connect.

Whoa. Crashed the app the first time I tried it, but then it worked! On startup, I got a slow and partial sync. Recalling a snapshot seemed to bring it all in line.

Mini 4 running 11.0.2
Needs the big old Apple USB supply, anything else reports that the ethernet adapter has too much power draw.