Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

midi from DL32 to M32 usb card

is it possible to send a midi note from a SPDS thru a DL 32 (midi in) over the AES50 to the M32 en take it out thru the usb card and use it in a Qlab file to trigger somthing?
Tags (1)
StevenBontinck Contributor - Level 1 2019-01-15

2019-01-15

midi from DL32 to M32 usb card

is it possible to send a midi note from a SPDS thru a DL 32 (midi in) over the AES50 to the M32 en take it out thru the usb card and use it in a Qlab file to trigger somthing?

• 0 Kudos
  • 4 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Re: midi from DL32 to M32 usb card

This is a very good question.

I just purchased an M32C and a Behringer S32 and so far was not able to get a MIDI (note) signal out of the M32C.

I try achieve the following:
On stage we have a Drumpad, the MIDI-out of which is connected to the MIDI in of the S32.
The S32 is connected to the M32C via AES50-A.
The M32C is connected to PC via USB (DN32-USB) and also throug an MIDI2USB-dongle.

But on neither of them I receive Notes sent from the drumpad.

Is it somehow possible to tunnel MIDI-In @ S32 via AES50 to MIDI-Out @ M32C?

This should rather be a firmware thing, shouldn't it?

Highlighted
Volunteer Moderator

Hi @0perat0r 

Welcome to the forum. This has been asked numerous times over the years and the answer has always been that the midi in the M32 (and X32) eco-system is designed for (very) limited control of the console and accessories only. You will need to run a separate midi cable (or midi via ethernet) from your drumpad to your PC

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Still, I wonder if "it is not possible" means "there's no way to achieve this due to hardware limitations" or does it just mean "it is not implemented in the firmware".

• What I see is: the X32/M32 can receive MIDI signals
  • The X32/M32 can send MIDI signals

But why the heck can't it forward such signals? Could someone explain? I suspect the firmware sources are not disclosed, are they? I really would like to have a look at them.

Highlighted
Volunteer Moderator

@0perat0r wrote:

Still, I wonder if "it is not possible" means "there's no way to achieve this due to hardware limitations" or does it just mean "it is not implemented in the firmware".

I don't think anyone said "it is not possible". But as I mentioned, the M32 eco-system is designed for (very) limited midi control of the equipment only. That is its design and there are no plans to change that.

the X32/M32 can receive MIDI signals
  • The X32/M32 can send MIDI signals

But why the heck can't it forward such signals? Could someone explain? 

That would require what is called midi merge (google it). The X32/M32 sends and received VERY limited midi control commands to control the console ONLY.

One of the reasons why there is this limitation is due to the limitations of the DSP (X32/M32 engine). Please understand that the design of these consoles is over 10 years old (3 years development, 7+ years production) and has very little processing capabilities remaining for new features. Midi merge is definitely on that list. Most of us that use the X32/M32 don't use midi at all and would prefer the developers work on adding other more critical features and bug fixes.

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!