Contributor - Level 2

paired gain problem

Hey folks,

I am looking for some input on a weird problem. I have a paired channel with identical gains for each, but marked differences in levels. I've troubleshot the problem by plugging in a tone generator directly into each channel and found that the levels differ by almost 20db. I did an initialize on the board to make sure there was not some strange EQ or compression boost or an insert or anything like that...and the problem persists. I also updated my firmware from 3.07 to 3.09 in the hopes that maybe that would solve the issue.

Releatedly (maybe)...

The low-level channel also makes a terrible noise (with nothing plugged in) when I turn phantom power on and off on the channel. Sort of a crackle-hiss thing, very loud.

So, I am concerned I have developed a hardware issue. However, I wanted to open up this question to the group mind to see if I might have missed something obvious here.

Thanks,
Steve

Tags (1)
SteveKatsikas Contributor - Level 2 2019-02-08

2019-02-08

paired gain problem

Hey folks,

I am looking for some input on a weird problem. I have a paired channel with identical gains for each, but marked differences in levels. I've troubleshot the problem by plugging in a tone generator directly into each channel and found that the levels differ by almost 20db. I did an initialize on the board to make sure there was not some strange EQ or compression boost or an insert or anything like that...and the problem persists. I also updated my firmware from 3.07 to 3.09 in the hopes that maybe that would solve the issue.

Releatedly (maybe)...

The low-level channel also makes a terrible noise (with nothing plugged in) when I turn phantom power on and off on the channel. Sort of a crackle-hiss thing, very loud.

So, I am concerned I have developed a hardware issue. However, I wanted to open up this question to the group mind to see if I might have missed something obvious here.

Thanks,
Steve

• 0 Kudos
  • 5 Replies
Contributor - Level 3

Re: paired gain problem

Steve Katsikas;160225 wrote:
Hey folks,

Releatedly (maybe)...

Thanks,
Steve

Since you didn't specifically say I have to ask are you plugging in directly to the back of the board? Exactly which mixer is this? If you assign that input to a different channel does it still have the same problem?
Contributor - Level 2

Yes, plugging directly into the back of the mixer into the left and right channels (29,30). mixer is an X32 (big one). When I assign the input to a different channel, the problem persists. Weirdly, the sound is ok on the lower level one, and when I jack up the gain, its seems ok. Weird failure, if that is what it is.

Steve
Super Contributor - Level 2

Under the config tab in the setup menu, what are your link preferences set as?
Also in the same menu, on the pre-amps tab are the gains the same?
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

For those searching archives and finding my original post, the issue was, indeed, a preamp board gone bad. I ordered a replacement from Full Compass and was able to install it my self. There's a ton of screws. Take pics as you go and be damned careful that the hinged top doesn't slip, yanking out the ribbon connector to your LCD screen resulting in a need to also replace the whole LCD assembly. You know, hypothetically speaking. Smiley Sad

Contributor - Level 2

In the end, did you solve the problem? Smiley Happy Everything is working?