Highlighted

pre fade w/o dynamics

Contributor - Level 2
Not sure how to send monitor sends without compression from channel . I need it in the chain but not in the monitors. Im sending it post eq . on my m32. Im sending everything but compressor tto mon . ( hopefully) Im also sending channel to a pemix bus and then on to FOH . I need everything going to the premix bus. I did find old post that mentioned this somewhat but it lost me thanks Charles.
8 REPLIES 8

Re: pre fade w/o dynamics

Super Contributor - Level 2
If you send a ch post eq to a bus pair it should not include the ch compressor. The compressor happens right after the post eq tap point but just before pre fader. Each ch can send to that bus pair differently and each ch can send differently to other bus pairs. So your other 'everything' bus can have the ch sent pre fader to it, which will include both eq and the compressor.

So say ch 1 needs no comp, in mixbus 1:

ch 1 (sends page) set as post eq to bus 1/2

ch 1 needs compression in mixbus 3:

ch 1 (sends page) set pre fader to bus 3/4.

The restriction would be you cant have your 'everything' bus on the same odd even bus pair as the no compression bus. Sends are in pairs.

Since you want bus 3 sent to the mains, you need to set that up from the mix bus ch, default is NOT sending to main L/R. This also means a double of comp for that ch, once normally to Mains as part of FOH and again as part of the 'everything' bus also sent to FOH. You may want to consider not including the ch 1 compressor to the everything bus (send it post eq also) but instead use the comp included on the bus 3. The double may also may not be noticeable or at least acceptable and no problem.

Contributor - Level 3
If you send a ch post eq to a bus pair it should not include the ch compressor. The compressor happens right after the post eq tap point but just before pre fader.

Unless the OP has swapped the peq and comp processing blocks around. In that case, a "post-eq" tap point would include compression.

Edit: A boutique compressor from the FX rack inserted across the channel could also have the same effect if the insert point was pre-eq.

Contributor - Level 2
Thanks a lot Gary, Now I've got it.. - nothing like alittle sunshine - Charles.

Contributor - Level 2
craig, Good morning, How do you swap the peq & comp blocks around ? thanks Charles.

Contributor - Level 3
If you're sitting in front of the console, select the channel, home screen, 4th encoder IIRC.
If you're using Edit, select a channel, channel tab, there's a "pre" button with a "Dyn" label you can press.

You can choose on a channel-by-channel basis if you want to eq then compress, or compress then eq. It also works for buses too.

Contributor - Level 2
craig, Good morning, How do you swap the peq & comp blocks around ? thanks Charles. Should the eq block be at the end of the chain on the channel page ? Is that what you mean by changing the blocks around? thanks.

Contributor - Level 2
craig, Good morning, How do you swap the peq & comp blocks around ? Should the eq block be at the end of the chain on the channel page ? Is that what you mean by changing the blocks around? thanks.

Contributor - Level 2
got it thanks