Contributor - Level 2

recorder

THE EXAMPLE i RECORDED IS AFTER A RESET OF THE MIXER AND A STRAIGHT THROUGH RECORDING TO THE RECORDER USING AN AMERICAN TELECASTER WITH NO ISSUES............I CONVERTED THE FILE TO MP3 SO i COULD UPLOAD IT AS A ZIP FILE

I have been trying to get my recorder to record properly on my X Air 16.
I initialized and reset to do a fresh try....
I set up a guitar channel with nothing but input to the recorder.....
I recorded notes from my American Telecaster which has no issues..
My P.A. System is top notch....
The playback sounds like a cheap piano to me.....
the sound when I recorded my group was terrible on playback ....
Had the noises in the recording also....
Ive been fooling with this for days with no results....
I have a snippet of audio I would like you to hear ........
I would rather someone help me solve this than bash the recorder as I may be doing something wrong...im pretty sure im doing it properly....as I reset everything and I believe the recorded results should be better than they are......

FIND ATTACHED A SOUND SNIPPET....
Thanks
Dan Gallant
DanGallant Contributor - Level 2 2018-04-07

2018-04-07

recorder

THE EXAMPLE i RECORDED IS AFTER A RESET OF THE MIXER AND A STRAIGHT THROUGH RECORDING TO THE RECORDER USING AN AMERICAN TELECASTER WITH NO ISSUES............I CONVERTED THE FILE TO MP3 SO i COULD UPLOAD IT AS A ZIP FILE

I have been trying to get my recorder to record properly on my X Air 16.
I initialized and reset to do a fresh try....
I set up a guitar channel with nothing but input to the recorder.....
I recorded notes from my American Telecaster which has no issues..
My P.A. System is top notch....
The playback sounds like a cheap piano to me.....
the sound when I recorded my group was terrible on playback ....
Had the noises in the recording also....
Ive been fooling with this for days with no results....
I have a snippet of audio I would like you to hear ........
I would rather someone help me solve this than bash the recorder as I may be doing something wrong...im pretty sure im doing it properly....as I reset everything and I believe the recorded results should be better than they are......

FIND ATTACHED A SOUND SNIPPET....
Thanks
Dan Gallant

• 0 Kudos
  • 9 Replies
Super Contributor - Level 2

Re: recorder

It sounds distorted, Dan. I'm a little puzzled how you recorded an mp3 on an XR16, though, as the USB recorder would create a wav file. So one explanation would be that you used an external recorder, in which case, it would help to know which one, how it was connected and what settings you used.

If you post your scene file, we can also check your mixer configuration and settings.
Contributor - Level 2

Recorder

I converted it to MP3 so I could zip it and upload the file....
It sounds terrible and its recorded from a fresh reset of the mixer with nothing added...
Dan

Resetting the XR should have disabled any dynamics and FX which could, conceivably, cause the odd sound. That leaves the USB drive and the XR itself.

I can't imagine what defect in the XR would mess-up the recording but still sound OK on the PA and monitor but I suppose anything's possible. What happens if you use the XR's USB player to play a wav file ripped from a CD? Is that also distorted?

I've never seen a USB drive behave like this but it would make sense to try a couple of different types before calling Care.

One further thought: Are you using the XR's on-board Access Point? If so, try connecting through the Ethernet port and see if the problem is still there. It is not impossible that some USB drives could be affected by the nearby WiFi transmitter...
Contributor - Level 3

Are you running the latest firmware 1.16 on your XR? I seem to remember that there were some very early problems recording to and playing from the USB drive which sounded very much like your problem. These were eventually sorted by an update to the firmware.
Contributor - Level 2

Recorder

Thank you very much for the input.......
I upgraded the firmware to the latest update and low and behold.....
It corrected the awful sound with the guitar.....
Im sure its fine now
I will try the group this week.....

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE INFORMATION......
Dan
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

USB Recorder file error

Sorry if I"m hijacking this thread, but I can't seem to post this as a new topic; I can't even preview this as a new post, so I'm trying this here....

I don't know if anyone has experienced this; I'm using a generic (Staples Brand) 32 gig USB 2.0 stick and am getting glitches in the recorded file. These are not dropouts in real time, but 'bunched-up/condensed" errors. In other words, you can tell a second or two has gone by, and the music jumps or skips ahead.

I've made copies out of the USB file in question into two different computers; one with a USB 3.0 slot and another computer with an original USB 2.0 slot. Same problem, same errors both times, so I have to assume this happened during the "record" process.

I'm wondering if the drive space is too high or needs to be formatted differently. I've had smaller USB drives (8 gig, etc) made by Crucial, with no problems. Maybe it's the brand? Maybe it's the size? Hopefully that's what's causing it, just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Thanks for any help/feedback!

Joe Hannigan;143968 wrote:
I'm wondering if the drive space is too high or needs to be formatted differently. I've had smaller USB drives (8 gig, etc) made by Crucial, with no problems. Maybe it's the brand? Maybe it's the size? Hopefully that's what's causing it, just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Other users have had drop-outs in recordings on XR12/16. These are often solved by using a different make/model of USB drive. 32GB is not too large - I use SanDisk Cruzer Fit 32GB without any problems. There have been problems reported with USB 3.0 drives so stick to USB 2.0 ones.

Some PC Operating Systems do not format the USB drives to FAT32 correctly and this can also lead to problems. The free SmartDisk FAT32 Format Utility does a better job.
Contributor - Level 2

USB Recorder

Well, I took some time, copied off everything important from the USB Drive, and reformatted it with Windows, making sure it was FAT32 with all the usual defaults.

This time I used it as a brand-new, untouched drive, and recorded 2 one-hour segments on them. Took them back home to compare them with the multitrack we did off the board, and voila; perfect, with no dropouts.

So, maybe that's the trick? Format the drive first just to be safe, and do nothing else but audio recording to it. Then read-only (and make no changes in Windows, etc.) when copying from it. I have another drive for scenes and presets. I'm going to stick with that process going forward: Audio recordings ONLY on USB drives, and plug in something else for patches and scenes.
Contributor - Level 3

That sounds very wise. Smiley Happy