Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

setting up X32 with Edgerouter X

I recently bought a X32 rack and bought an Edgerouter X + UAP-AC-LR (these were mentioned as being good options in other topics), but I can't get it to work.

I know little about networks and am generally a plug&play kind of guy on that aspect, but plug&play doesn't work in this case.

I configured a wifi accespoint for the UAP-AC-LR and when I connect the Edgerouter X to the internet, all my wireless devices are able to connect to the UAP-AC-LR and have internet access, but they can't seem to find the X32.

I've set an IP on the Network tab of the X32, but it seems that the Edgerouter X doesn't do anything with that. I can't ping the IP I set on the X32.

I've got no idea how to setup the Edgerouter X to make the X32 actually findable on that network. 

the dhcp server doesn't seem to lease any IP's for the X32 (or my laptop that has a wired connection), but it does hand out an ip to my phone.

Baardaap Contributor - Level 2 03-18-2019

03-18-2019

setting up X32 with Edgerouter X

I recently bought a X32 rack and bought an Edgerouter X + UAP-AC-LR (these were mentioned as being good options in other topics), but I can't get it to work.

I know little about networks and am generally a plug&play kind of guy on that aspect, but plug&play doesn't work in this case.

I configured a wifi accespoint for the UAP-AC-LR and when I connect the Edgerouter X to the internet, all my wireless devices are able to connect to the UAP-AC-LR and have internet access, but they can't seem to find the X32.

I've set an IP on the Network tab of the X32, but it seems that the Edgerouter X doesn't do anything with that. I can't ping the IP I set on the X32.

I've got no idea how to setup the Edgerouter X to make the X32 actually findable on that network. 

the dhcp server doesn't seem to lease any IP's for the X32 (or my laptop that has a wired connection), but it does hand out an ip to my phone.

• 0 Kudos
  • 8 Replies

Accepted Solutions
Contributor - Level 2

Re: setting up X32 with Edgerouter X

Send my X32 for RMA last friday and already got a new one today. I hooked the new one up to the router and it was assigned an IP almost immediately and so far it works flawlessly with X32 Edit on PC and the Mixing Station app.

So it turned out to be a bad network port on the first X32

Valued Contributor - Level 1

Hi @Baardaap , 

This seems like more of a network configuration issue so I suspect you'll get better guidance here: https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeRouter/bd-p/EdgeMAX

I use Ubiquiti UniFi in my house but the UniFi Security Gateway is very different from the ER-X.  Coming from a UniFi user, it sounds like you created a wireless network but not a wired LAN.  For the USG, I needed to create both and allow them to bridge. 

Hope this helps, 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Contributor - Level 2

I've also tried the x32 with a cheap wifi router (tp link archer a5), but I cant find the x32 there either.

conncting the x32 directly to my laptop with an utp cable also shows nothing in x32-edit

Volunteer Moderator

Hi @Baardaap,

If you manually assign the IP address in the X32, make sure the first 3 numbers are identical with those of the router and other devices and the last number is unique. The other thing to remember is when you assign an IP on the X32, it does not go into effect unless you press the 6th encoder to enable it.

If the X32 firmware is 2.10 or newer, you can also enable the DHCP (first encoder - press it to enable/disable) and let the router provide an IP address.

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator
Contributor - Level 2

Firmware is 3.09, my edgerouter had ip 192.168.1.1, so on the top number I set 192.168.1.200, second 255.255.255.0 and third 192.168.1.1 and I confirmed it with the 'Assign' button (6th encoder). In the dashboard of the edgerouter I saw something was connected to that port, but I could not ping the ip 192.168.1.200 and it didn't lease an ip to it. It also didn't lease an ip to my laptop (which was also was connected with a cable), but it did lease an ip to my phone who was connected thru the wifi access point.

I haven't tried the DHCP, because it automatically entered a totally different ip (something like 167.x.x.x), but I'll try that tonight.

Contributor - Level 2

got the router set up now that it hands out an ip to my laptop, but not to the X32 mixer (which is set in DHCP mode).

ARP info (through the router GUI's console) says:

ubnt@ubnt:~$ show arp 
Address HWtype HWaddress Flags Mask Iface
192.168.1.38 ether e0:d5:5e:ad:48:2c C switch0 
192.168.1.40 ether b4:fb:e4:f3:9a:05 C switch0 
192.168.1.39 (incomplete) switch0 
192.168.1.41 ether d0:77:14:d2:d7:e5 C switch0

x.x.x.38 is my laptop

x.x.x.40 is the UAP-LC-LR wifi accesspoint

x.x.x.41 is my phone connected through wifi with the accesspoint

All those three obtained an ip address and a MAC address is shown in ARP info

It seems that x.x.x.39 is reserved for the mixer, but not allocated. MAC address isn't showing either.

I think the mixer's Ethernet port might be dead. light stays yellow and never turns green.

Edit: another router also leased an ip (and showed the mixer's MAC address), but in the logs it kept sending offers, which were never accepted. 

Static ip using a Netgear FS108 switch didn't work either.

So it appears routers are able to sense something is connected and able to retrieve MAC address, but the mixer isn't communicating back.

I'm not sure whether it's a hardware issue or a software issue with the mixer. Perhaps a downgrade could help (current version out of the box is 3.09) or reinstall of the firmware or should I return it to the retailer and request a new one?

Edit: downgraded firmware to 3.08 no difference, back to 3.09 neither, so something is definately not working properly and I requested a RMA

Contributor - Level 3

fyi - you are right that it is a bad port either on the X32 or on the router. I just set up my new x32 with an edgemax. Assigned a static IP at the mixer and voila it was on the net and accessible no problem at all. I would try the different port on the edgemax just to be sure.
Contributor - Level 2

I tried 3 different routers, with and without DHCP or static IP, different ports (that worked well enough for my laptop), different cables, I tried a simple switch, direct connect to my laptop, but nothing seem to work for me.

From what I gather it shouldn't be such a hell to make it work (all the tuturials and documents make it seem so simple: Either set in on DHCP and connect it to a router with a DHCP server, or set it on static IP and connect (either directly, with switch or router)), so there is definately something wrong with the port on the mixer. I'm sending it for RMA tomorrow (got it brand new last weekend, so shouldn't be a problem), hopefully I'll get a replacement before the end of the month.

Contributor - Level 2

Send my X32 for RMA last friday and already got a new one today. I hooked the new one up to the router and it was assigned an IP almost immediately and so far it works flawlessly with X32 Edit on PC and the Mixing Station app.

So it turned out to be a bad network port on the first X32