Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

setup live set with 2x X32 full ( FOH & Monitor stage) without s32/s16

Hi guys, newbie here
recently bought 1 x32 full version (2nd hand, got a great deal) and used it as a analogue console. straight forward setup with analogue snake and 2 monitor returns
Got a request to do a live band wit separate monitor mix. wondering if i could just hire a 2nd x32 for the monitor mix on stage, using the monitor desk as a stage block ( i have plenty analogue snakes for on stage) and use a digital aes50 cable to the FOH, using all the inputs coming fromthe monitor desk. In the forum all setups seem to have a s16 or s32 in their setup
Any explanation on routing would be apreciated too
RobRens Contributor - Level 2 2019-01-29

2019-01-29

setup live set with 2x X32 full ( FOH & Monitor stage) without s32/s16

Hi guys, newbie here
recently bought 1 x32 full version (2nd hand, got a great deal) and used it as a analogue console. straight forward setup with analogue snake and 2 monitor returns
Got a request to do a live band wit separate monitor mix. wondering if i could just hire a 2nd x32 for the monitor mix on stage, using the monitor desk as a stage block ( i have plenty analogue snakes for on stage) and use a digital aes50 cable to the FOH, using all the inputs coming fromthe monitor desk. In the forum all setups seem to have a s16 or s32 in their setup
Any explanation on routing would be apreciated too

• 0 Kudos
  • 4 Replies
Contributor - Level 3

Re: setup live set with 2x X32 full ( FOH & Monitor stage) without s32/s16

Yes, that's certainly possible.

You just need to decide:
Which console will be clock master (as only 1 can.)
Which console will have preamp control (as only 1 can.)
Which outputs you'd like your monitors on (and how many there will be,) and which outputs you'd like your FOH outputs on (and how many there will be.)
Also, are there any signals that might come from FOH (eg an iPod, cd player, talkback etc that you'd like to route to the monitor console separately from the main mix so that those signals can be mixed into monitors.

Also, how many inputs do you need on stage? It might be easier to get an X32Rack instead of a full size 2nd X32 as the monitor mixer.
Contributor - Level 2

I am looking for an old fashion way of handling stuff, like a foh mixer and a monitor mixer, with physical controls. all inputs except for talkback can be connected to the stage console, but EQ must be separate on both consoles. in the past we used to have a split stage block with 1 in and 3 out per channel, transformer based. I didn't own it and it has been sold since. can't find digital versions of the old monitor consoles so i guess its now done with the same stuff as the FOH??
Really, i am old fashioned, just bought the x32 because if i had to rent the companies tend not to have the same console available all the time and i just want to learn 1 console. not doing a lot of events so no real opportunities to learn these things. so if i use all inputs via the x32 on stage and do only send back foh mix, talk back to 1 monitor next to the monitor console, how to route this??
Why better a rack version?? monitor engineer will have to use a pc to control then?? and use the busses via send on fader? (for sure its cheaper but not a lot)
Contributor - Level 3

Yes, eq (and all other channel processing) will be separate on both consoles. Each mic will only be plugged into one input, so both consoles will be affected by preamp gain changes. Only 1 console can control the preamp gain (and +48V.) The console not controlling the preamp will get a -+18dB digital trim at the top of each channel. However, once preamp gains are set, the console controlling gain can enable gain splitting and expose its own -+18dB digital trim, so it can make further adjustments to its channels without affecting the preamp itself, and therefore also not affecting the signal hitting the other console.

Re the routing, you'd first connect both consoles via AES50. I'd use the monitor console's A socket and the FOH console's B socket. This assumes you don't have more than 12 monitor mixes and 3 FOH mixes (LRM.) If you have more than that it can still work, but the routing is a bit more complicated.

Set the Monitor console as clock master, and set the FOH console to slave off its B socket.
The monitor console will have control of its own preamps, where all the mics are connected. That can be changed via the Setup>Preamps HA Remote AES50A setting if you'd prefer FOH to have gain and +48v control of the monitor console's preamps.

On the monitor console:
Routing>Inputs (or "Home," essentially ch1-32) set to local 1-32.
Routing>Out1-16, you'd set the first 12 outputs to bus1-12, post fader. These are for your monitor mixes.
Routing>AES50A, you'd set Outputs1-32 to Local 1-32. This passes signals from the monitor console's 32 preamps up to the FOH console.
Routing>XLR Out, you'd set outputs1-4 as out1-4, outputs5-8 as out5-8, outputs9-12 as out9-12. These are your monitor mixes to the console's first 12 XLR outputs. You'd then set outputs 13-16 as AES50A 5-8. These will be for the FOH TB mic + FOH mixes (LRM) to appear on the monitor console's last 4x XLR outputs, assuming you have FOH amps close to the stage.

On the FOH console:
Routing>Inputs (or Home) and set inputs1-32 as AES50B 1-32. These are the signals from the Monitor Console's preamps.
Routing>Out1-16. Set Output5 as TB (you have to scroll all the way to the end of the list to get to it.) This will be the signal straight off the TB preamp. Output 6/7/8 set as MainL/R/M, post fader.
Routing>AES50B, set Outputs1-8 as out1-8.

Sorry about jumping to a conclusion re the Rack. Most of the people on here who ask about getting a dedicated monitor console have the band on IEMs, so the band use their own phones\tablets to manage their own mixes, and they typically don't have a ME. That reduces the need for physical faders on the console itself, so if you can deal 16x8 (or 22x14 if you include the aux TRS IO,) then an X32Rack is infinitely more rackable, and cheaper than a full size X32. I didn't realize you had a ME. In that case, physical faders ftw.
Contributor - Level 2

thanks a lot, this makes sense
i guess with an x32 rack you have the same issue about preamps??
adding a s32 will change that or not??