Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

umc202 balanced out to unbalanced in

Hello to everyone,
i would like to know if i can connect my active monitor with RCA input to the balanced out (TRS JACK x 2) of my umc202 with 2 x Mono JACK to RCA cable.
In this case i know i will shorts the cold signal to the ground of the balanced signal. Is this dangerous for the interface?
Thanks a lot
Francesco
FrancescoLupi Contributor - Level 1 2015-05-12

2015-05-12

umc202 balanced out to unbalanced in

Hello to everyone,
i would like to know if i can connect my active monitor with RCA input to the balanced out (TRS JACK x 2) of my umc202 with 2 x Mono JACK to RCA cable.
In this case i know i will shorts the cold signal to the ground of the balanced signal. Is this dangerous for the interface?
Thanks a lot
Francesco

Contributor - Level 2

Re: umc202 balanced out to unbalanced in

Hi Francesco - While you *can* connect them in that way, you might not be satisfied with the results. Think of the Balanced TRS JACK as if it were an XLR jack, just with a different plug end. TRS cables can be confusing because they can function either as a stereo cable, or as a balanced (like an XLR) cable. More importantly, the line levels will be different. Studio line levels are normally +4db, while consumer line levels are normally -10db. So you might damage your monitors by over driving them.
Troubadour Emeritus, Manchester CT