Contributor - Level 2

using compressor to stop mic feedback

I understand using a graphic eq to prevent feedback on a microphone, but there are times where a certain mic of ours is still feeding back.  I know it's the position of the mic relative to the house speakers.

I'm wondering would it be possible to use the compressor set at a certain frequency to help prevent feedback on this mic ?

(Midas M32 soundboard with a 'countryman' omnidirectional mic)

JasonBrowne Contributor - Level 2 2019-09-11

2019-09-11

using compressor to stop mic feedback

I understand using a graphic eq to prevent feedback on a microphone, but there are times where a certain mic of ours is still feeding back.  I know it's the position of the mic relative to the house speakers.

I'm wondering would it be possible to use the compressor set at a certain frequency to help prevent feedback on this mic ?

(Midas M32 soundboard with a 'countryman' omnidirectional mic)

Highlighted
Volunteer Moderator

Re: using compressor to stop mic feedback

Hi Jason @JasonBrowne 

Actually compression could make the feedback worse. I would highly suggest that you learn to use the the channel parametric EQ to control the Countryman omni mic. My pastor uses a "knock off" Countryman E6 and regularly goes over to the right side (directly in front of the speaker) to pray for the kids before they go downstairs to their junior church. Using that channel PEQ I have been able to completely control the feedback even in that situation.

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator