Contributor - Level 2

x32 main mix to monitor

Hi again (Newbie) I would like to control 2 sets of speakers with the main mix but be able to adjust the volume of each set. Ive tried using a matrix with main L/R to matrix 1 linked and 3 linked. I can control the volume of the signal sent to the matrix with the main fader but I dont seem to be able to adjust the volume off each set. I thought I could then send the main mix to a monitor out does that make sense and how would I do it?, please step by step answers as I`m completly new to the digital world.

eichy1 Contributor - Level 2 2019-12-02

2019-12-02

x32 main mix to monitor

Hi again (Newbie) I would like to control 2 sets of speakers with the main mix but be able to adjust the volume of each set. Ive tried using a matrix with main L/R to matrix 1 linked and 3 linked. I can control the volume of the signal sent to the matrix with the main fader but I dont seem to be able to adjust the volume off each set. I thought I could then send the main mix to a monitor out does that make sense and how would I do it?, please step by step answers as I`m completly new to the digital world.

• 0 Kudos
  • 9 Replies

Accepted Solutions
Super Contributor - Level 2

Re: x32 main mix to monitor

@eichy1 

Hi Glenn, you should be able to do this using a linked pair of Matrix buses. Linking only works with adjacent odd/even buses though. You can link 1 & 2 but not 1 & 3.

The send to a Matrix has an adjustable level. You can see that by selecting Main LR and opening the Sends tab. You can make the send either Pre Fader or Post Fader depending on whether you want to Matrix output to be independent of the Main LR fader or to track it.

X32 Matrix Send Pre.PNG

Each Matrix also has a Master fader. You can see that by selecting the Matrix layer. If the Master fader has no effect on the output, check on Routing -> Output 1-16 that you have the Post Fader signal tap selected.

X32 Matrix Output.PNG

If you need help with the routing, save your scene and attach the file to your post. See Choose File button below.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

@eichy1 wrote:

Thanks rex I will give it a go tommorrow and let you know how it goes and  send you a scene. I should tell you that i`m outputing the 2nd set on out 5 & 6, main 15 & 16, I`m a bit concerned about using 13, 14, because I have my effects there or does`nt that make any difference. I also have at the moment buses 1-6 on pre fader.

@eichy1 

You can use outputs 13-16 without interfering with the FX slots. It is only Buses 13-16 that are used for FX Send buses by default.

Contributor - Level 2

hi Rex I tried your solution But I still dont have control over the volume. I can push the matrix faders up and down but get no change in volume. I can control it though through the main, Ive attached a scene that I used on x edit to see what you think.

@eichy1 wrote:

hi Rex I tried your solution But I still dont have control over the volume. I can push the matrix faders up and down but get no change in volume. I can control it though through the main, Ive attached a scene that I used on x edit to see what you think.

@eichy1 

I see that you are feeding stereo-linked Matrix bus pairs 1/2 and 3/4 from Main LR post-fader. Matrix pair 1/2 is routed through Outputs 13/14 to XLR Outputs 13/14. Matrix pair 3/4 is routed through Outputs 15/16 to XLR Outputs 15/16.

The Main LR fader will control the level of both output pairs. The Matrix Master faders for 1/2 and 3/4 will control the level of each pair:

X32 Matrix Faders.PNG

Which part is not working?

@eichy1 wrote:

Hi Rex, the problem is becuase the mains feed the 2 matrixes, more volume on the mains more output on the matrix sends pulling down the signal on the 2 matrix busses ive still got sound out of the mains, I suppose you could say I want it that when I pull the matrix busses down everything is quiet I only have these 2 sets of speakers in the room and they are all active,I want to control the volume indepentantly for each pair, in short have 2 main outs. Could I do this with leaving 15,16 as the mains and use only 1 matrix pair 13, 14, for the 2nd set of speakers?, but when I want no signal to 13,14 I can mute/pull down the faders and they are off and I dont hear anything from those speakers.

Thank you rex for your patience I know I`m testing them

Glenn

@eichy1 

If you set it up the way I suggested in my first reply in this thread, you would have the normal Main LR on outputs 15/16 and the Matrixed pair on outputs 13/14. The Main LR fader would control outputs 15/16 but have no effect on outputs 13/14. The Matrix 1/2 Master faders would control outputs 13/14 but have no effect on outputs 15/16. This is because the send from Main LR to Matrix 1/2 is Pre Fader so it bypasses the Main LR fader.

Is this how you want it to work?

Contributor - Level 2

Excactly How I want it to work obviously I missed something there will try again this evening, I think I had the pre/ post thing wrong.

Thanks again rex, will keep you posted, your the greatest

@eichy1 

Hi Glenn, you should be able to do this using a linked pair of Matrix buses. Linking only works with adjacent odd/even buses though. You can link 1 & 2 but not 1 & 3.

The send to a Matrix has an adjustable level. You can see that by selecting Main LR and opening the Sends tab. You can make the send either Pre Fader or Post Fader depending on whether you want to Matrix output to be independent of the Main LR fader or to track it.

X32 Matrix Send Pre.PNG

Each Matrix also has a Master fader. You can see that by selecting the Matrix layer. If the Master fader has no effect on the output, check on Routing -> Output 1-16 that you have the Post Fader signal tap selected.

X32 Matrix Output.PNG

If you need help with the routing, save your scene and attach the file to your post. See Choose File button below.

Contributor - Level 2

Thanks rex I will give it a go tommorrow and let you know how it goes and  send you a scene. I should tell you that i`m outputing the 2nd set on out 5 & 6, main 15 & 16, I`m a bit concerned about using 13, 14, because I have my effects there or does`nt that make any difference. I also have at the moment buses 1-6 on pre fader.

Highlighted

@eichy1 wrote:

@eichy1 

You can use outputs 13-16 without interfering with the FX slots. It is only Buses 13-16 that are used for FX Send buses by default.

Contributor - Level 2

Contributor - Level 2

P.S I want to be ble to move the fader volume independently

@eichy1 wrote:

@eichy1 

I see that you are feeding stereo-linked Matrix bus pairs 1/2 and 3/4 from Main LR post-fader. Matrix pair 1/2 is routed through Outputs 13/14 to XLR Outputs 13/14. Matrix pair 3/4 is routed through Outputs 15/16 to XLR Outputs 15/16.

The Main LR fader will control the level of both output pairs. The Matrix Master faders for 1/2 and 3/4 will control the level of each pair:

X32 Matrix Faders.PNG

Which part is not working?

Contributor - Level 2

Hi Rex, the problem is becuase the mains feed the 2 matrixes, more volume on the mains more output on the matrix sends pulling down the signal on the 2 matrix busses ive still got sound out of the mains, I suppose you could say I want it that when I pull the matrix busses down everything is quiet I only have these 2 sets of speakers in the room and they are all active,I want to control the volume indepentantly for each pair, in short have 2 main outs. Could I do this with leaving 15,16 as the mains and use only 1 matrix pair 13, 14, for the 2nd set of speakers?, but when I want no signal to 13,14 I can mute/pull down the faders and they are off and I dont hear anything from those speakers.

Glenn

@eichy1 wrote:

Glenn

@eichy1 

If you set it up the way I suggested in my first reply in this thread, you would have the normal Main LR on outputs 15/16 and the Matrixed pair on outputs 13/14. The Main LR fader would control outputs 15/16 but have no effect on outputs 13/14. The Matrix 1/2 Master faders would control outputs 13/14 but have no effect on outputs 15/16. This is because the send from Main LR to Matrix 1/2 is Pre Fader so it bypasses the Main LR fader.

Is this how you want it to work?

Contributor - Level 2

Excactly How I want it to work obviously I missed something there will try again this evening, I think I had the pre/ post thing wrong.

Thanks again rex, will keep you posted, your the greatest