Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

x32 rack, X-Dante, S32 - routing

Hi

I have the three items in the title line and I'm struggling with the routing to get them to talk to one another.

The equipment is used in afunction band set-up - x32 rack is situated next to drums and PA amp stack - X32 rack takes inputs from drums - mics and triggers (on xlr inputs 1-16), and uses output 7 and 8 (xlr) to feed the PA Amp stack at rear of stage.

The x32 rack is fitted with an X-Dante card - this is connected to a cymatic audio utrack 24 which provides backing tracks, click tracks and vocal cues. the x-dante card is routed to outputs 17-24 and 25-32 on the x32 rack.

The S32 sits at sfront og stage (left or right) vocal mics , instrument mikes , and keyboard inputs are spread across physical xlr inputs 1-16 on the S32.
Four stereo IEM mixes are fed through physical xlr outs 9-16 on the S32.

The x32 rack is set to 48khz sample rate, and synchronisation is set from the X-dante card.

can anyone help with the routing settings needed to achieve this configuration please?

Regards Glenn...
GlennStephens Contributor - Level 2 2018-11-05

2018-11-05

x32 rack, X-Dante, S32 - routing

Hi

I have the three items in the title line and I'm struggling with the routing to get them to talk to one another.

The equipment is used in afunction band set-up - x32 rack is situated next to drums and PA amp stack - X32 rack takes inputs from drums - mics and triggers (on xlr inputs 1-16), and uses output 7 and 8 (xlr) to feed the PA Amp stack at rear of stage.

The x32 rack is fitted with an X-Dante card - this is connected to a cymatic audio utrack 24 which provides backing tracks, click tracks and vocal cues. the x-dante card is routed to outputs 17-24 and 25-32 on the x32 rack.

The S32 sits at sfront og stage (left or right) vocal mics , instrument mikes , and keyboard inputs are spread across physical xlr inputs 1-16 on the S32.
Four stereo IEM mixes are fed through physical xlr outs 9-16 on the S32.

The x32 rack is set to 48khz sample rate, and synchronisation is set from the X-dante card.

can anyone help with the routing settings needed to achieve this configuration please?

Regards Glenn...

• 0 Kudos
  • 11 Replies
Contributor - Level 3

Re: x32 rack, X-Dante, S32 - routing

Possibly, but need you to confirm inputs.

You're saying 16 drum mics on the Rack, + 16 tracks coming back from the utrack 24 via Dante, + 16 mics on an S32.

16+16+16 = 48. That's going to be a problem, because the X32 can only mix 38 at once (+USB 2-track + internal FX returns.) Is it really all that many signals, or can they be condensed (ideally into 4 blocks of 8 + 1 block of 6.) If you really need to mix 48 signals simultaneously, you've got the wrong console.
Contributor - Level 2

Hi Craig
thanks for your reply.
I can condense the Dante inputs down to 8 - and also the s32 inputs down to 8.
Contributor - Level 3

Just a list of you're I/O to make it a more clear for us.

X32 Rack:

Inputs 1-16: Drums (mics and triggers)
Outputs 7-8: PA Amp stack

S32:
Inputs 1-16: Rest of the band
Outputs 9-16: IEM

X-Dante card:

Set to outputs 17-32: Playing back, click and vocal tracks

Patching outputs on the card tab (X-Dante) is for recording purpose only. Where is you're X-Dante card routed to input channels for playback of all those backing, click and vocal tracks?

Above question is probably the problem, with the local channels 1-16 for drums and S32 channels 1-16 coming in on channels 17-32 of the X32 Rack over AES50 there is no room left for 16 channels X-Dante playback on the routing input tab.

Can you post you're scene file so we can take a look at the routing to see what you trying to do?
Varomedia theater audio solutions
Contributor - Level 3

Yep, that Dante card is confusing me.

OP says it's routed to outputs 17-32, but then mentions it's got things like backing tracks, clicks, and cues. Those are the sorts of things I would have thought he'd want coming into the mixer and making it to FOH\IEMs (obviously not the clicks and cues going to FOH.) Also, OP mentions that the Dante card is connected to a multitrack recorder and playback device. Why would he record backing tracks, clicks, and cues? Surely those things are already on the device to be used as inputs to the mixer, not outputs from it. That's why I took the Dante card to be 16 inputs rather than outputs, which is why I'm having the problem with 48 inputs.
Contributor - Level 2

Craig Fowler;154657 wrote:
Yep, that Dante card is confusing me.

OP says it's routed to outputs 17-32, but then mentions it's got things like backing tracks, clicks, and cues. Those are the sorts of things I would have thought he'd want coming into the mixer and making it to FOH\IEMs (obviously not the clicks and cues going to FOH.) Also, OP mentions that the Dante card is connected to a multitrack recorder and playback device. Why would he record backing tracks, clicks, and cues? Surely those things are already on the device to be used as inputs to the mixer, not outputs from it. That's why I took the Dante card to be 16 inputs rather than outputs, which is why I'm having the problem with 48 inputs.

the dante card is connected to a Cymatic audio Utrack24 (which itself has an AudioLan interface card in it)
So all of our backing , click tracks, vocal cues etc are currently brought in on channels 17 -32. I'm not using all of those 16 channels so I know I can probably condense that down to 8 channels - 17 - 24. I'm not recording the backing traCKS AND CLICKS - all of the backing is routed to FOH (outputs 7&8) and clicks and voical cues are routed to IEM buses.

Dante card is currently 16 inputs - but i now understand I need to rationalise that down to 8
Contributor - Level 2

Vasco Romijn;154655 wrote:
Just a list of you're I/O to make it a more clear for us.

X32 Rack:

Inputs 1-16: Drums (mics and triggers)
Outputs 7-8: PA Amp stack

S32:
Inputs 1-16: Rest of the band
Outputs 9-16: IEM

X-Dante card:

Set to outputs 17-32: Playing back, click and vocal tracks

Patching outputs on the card tab (X-Dante) is for recording purpose only. Where is you're X-Dante card routed to input channels for playback of all those backing, click and vocal tracks?

Above question is probably the problem, with the local channels 1-16 for drums and S32 channels 1-16 coming in on channels 17-32 of the X32 Rack over AES50 there is no room left for 16 channels X-Dante playback on the routing input tab.

Can you post you're scene file so we can take a look at the routing to see what you trying to do?

yes the above input list is correct - from Craig's reply above I now know i need to condense the Dante cards inputs from 16 down to 8 , so that i can access the physical inputs of the S32.

How do I go about routing outputs 9-16 on the S32 for my IEM mixes (4 stereo pairs)

thanks for your help!
Contributor - Level 3

Ok, so 16 preamps from the Local Rack + 8 channels from dante leaves space for 14 preamps from the S32. If you can get Dante down to 6, or 14 preamps from the rack, you'll have space to have 16 preamps from the S32. Bottom line is you can have up to 4x blocks-of-8 and 1x block-of-6.

Re getting IEMs out to the S32 (Assuming buses used for IEMs are bus1-8, all stereo linked.)

Routing>Out 1-16
Output9: Bus 1, Post Fader
Output10: Bus2, Post Fader
Output15: Bus7, Post Fader
Output16: Bus8, Post Fader

Routing>AES50 A\B
(Assuming connecting to the console's AES50A socket)
Output9-16: out1-16 (should be the default.)
Contributor - Level 2

Craig - thanks for that - I was finally able to get my head around it based on your feedback Smiley Very Happy
Contributor - Level 2

ok - so using the i/o configuration above i've been able to record 32 tracks into cubase pro n8.5 using dante virtual soundcard and patching the dante signals in dante controller

what i'm now struggling to do is bring a simple stereo feed from cubase basck to the x32 rack (i'm trying usinf channels 12 and 13) of the recorded material so we could play it back to check for pops and glitches etc ( playback either over the main PA or through headphone monitor on x32 rack.

i have stereo out on cubase set to dante tx channels 12 and 13

any help greatly appreciated