Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

xr18 recording options to consider

So i was thinking about getting an xr18 and then i realized something kind of ridiculous in my opinion. What i would use the xr18 for is to put on a stage and use it as a drop. Then run everything wireless from a remote location. Great, i can do that. BUT if i want to record the band then what??? When i use my rack i just insert the usb flash drive and hit record. But this is not how the xr18 works. It is a computer interface. So now i have to have my computer connected to it and what???...leave it on stage running the whole time? Ridiculous. Why did they omit the basic and very useful 2 track recording on the xr18. The xr16 and the xr12 have it.

i hope they are working on a direct to drive option that can be controlled by the app. This is a fail for anyone who wants to remotely use the xr18 and record.
Joellee Contributor - Level 2 2015-03-23

2015-03-23

xr18 recording options to consider

So i was thinking about getting an xr18 and then i realized something kind of ridiculous in my opinion. What i would use the xr18 for is to put on a stage and use it as a drop. Then run everything wireless from a remote location. Great, i can do that. BUT if i want to record the band then what??? When i use my rack i just insert the usb flash drive and hit record. But this is not how the xr18 works. It is a computer interface. So now i have to have my computer connected to it and what???...leave it on stage running the whole time? Ridiculous. Why did they omit the basic and very useful 2 track recording on the xr18. The xr16 and the xr12 have it.

i hope they are working on a direct to drive option that can be controlled by the app. This is a fail for anyone who wants to remotely use the xr18 and record.

• 0 Kudos
  • 57 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Re: xr18 recording options to consider

Dear Joel,

The XR18 is our flagship X AIR model. As many considerations go into a product, we cannot always address every particular use-case. *

Many users are considering the benefits of the XR18 for live use, but the XR18 actual brings a wealth of options to studio recording users as well. In actuality, this was a design consideration. A musician can use the XR18 at home to record, and then easily use it at a gig for live sound WHILE multitrack recording the show:

-16 MIDAS Designed Mic Preamps
-Complete 18x18 USB Audio Interface
-P16 Connectivity for 16-Channel Discreet Headphone Monitor Solution

In addition, many musicians actually prefer recording direct to a DAW at a gig as they often have the computer at the show anyway for backing tracks or break music.

We appreciate your input though, and always consider all view points.
Let's keep in touch, John DiNicola Manager, Customer Experience, Engagement MUSIC Group BEHRINGER
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Joel -

The clue here is that the USB connector on the X-Air-18 is a B type (like a printer has), not an A type (like a computer has). Any device with a USB B connector is designed to have a computer on the other end - you won't find a memory stick which will connect to a USB B socket.

USB multitracking could be better supported - but this unit is built to a price, and it's a damn fine one, so I'm not complaining (or not about that, at least).

And thinking about it, I wouldn't record a gig straight to a USB stick anyway, because I wouldn't be able to see any meters or indicators which would tell me whether it's working! I'll take a laptop every time.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

I have to agree on that one. A laptop to record a gig is the way to go. There are other options such as the camera connection kit and an iPod or iPad, but I would still go with a PC if I were recording.

Besides the fact that unless I am doing a live album for some reason, recording at a gig is mostly pointless. We have used small sections of live recordings for demos, but if you are doing something you plan on selling, take the XR18 into a good room and record it right. People are paying for a quality product, don't give them something you threw together from a gig recording and force them to listen to it. In all honesty, if you really want to record a "live" recording get a Zoom or something like that and put it out in the middle of the room.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

As a live audio and recording engineer, I can say if it came down to the choice of a simple 2-Track direct to disk recording option versus a full 18-track output recording option, I'd much prefer the latter. I can get a 2 track recording out of the 18 track option but also have the ability to get a fully mixable live recording that can be mixed down and mastered later. That's far more valuable to me than a 2 track PA mix that may suck when listened to outside of the live environment.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

I agree with TJ. The 18x18 recording feature was the final selling point for me with this unit over other brands that only do 2 track. 2 track is all but worthless to me. An 18x18 usb doubles as a studio box, you can't get a full 18x18 live recorder and an 18x18 studio box in one unit for this price anywhere else on the planet... not to mention the quality of the pres.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Plus (once they actually get it working fully) having on-board effects processing takes a TON of the load off of the PC doing the recording.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Nik I know How it works. But like many others the xairs are purchased as a hands off remote device. And yes that is live. So if you wanted to record you will no longer be able to be hands off because you will have to record with a computer directly connected to the xr18.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

I think you all are forgetting that the xairs are a live mixer well before they are a studio mixer.
Contributor - Level 2

I just did an event for st pats day. I used a digital snake from the stage to my full size x out front. I used my macbook to record all the channels. And also the usb to capture the stereo. I only used 15 channels for the band. So I could get away with the xr18 on stage as a stage drop. Like I have done with my rack. But then, as in my original reason for this post, I would not have been able to record because I needed to be out front and not on stage. When I use the rack I just use the usb to capture the mains or create a separate recording mix.