Highlighted

Continuous popping/clicking in IQ8 Speakers on Ultranet

Contributor - Level 2
I just installed a pair of IQ8 speakers for some side seating areas in a church sanctuary. They sound great until they start popping/clicking continuously. They always click with the same timing like a metronome. If I turn them off and back on they will quit and if I send an audio signal to them that makes them stop as well, but after some time they will just start popping/clicking again. It is very frustrating.

The building was built in the 1960s and had no real ground in any of the panels. The main 400A service only had a number 6 bare copper wire running from a single ground rod to the bonding lug on the neutral for the main service. We drove two new 8' copper clad ground rods, joined the two new ground rods with #2 copper and ran #2 copper back up to the neutral bonding lug of the main service. We ran #4 copper from each ground rod to the two main 200A, inside, panels that we could get to from the attic and mounted new ground bars in these panels. One ground bar for the grounds that were already going out to the branch circuits and one to an isolated ground bar for the six new circuits I ran for the new audio equipment. One panel was from an addition about 20 years ago and had separate ground wires on all circuits but they were just tied to the neutral bar. On that panel I removed the grounds from the neutral bar and landed them on the new shared ground bar. The other panel had only four circuits with grounds that had been added over the years, and I connected these to the new ground bar there as well. Saying all that I believe we have about as good of a ground that we are going to get within the limits of the electrical code.

We flew two new Athens TCS152/94-AN, and one Athens TCS115-AN Sub horizontally in a vertical array in the main part of the sanctuary that is very narrow. These are on Ultranet as well and have not had any problems aside from them quitting in the middle of the first service. After a little research on these forums I found out that was from the feedback reduction setting in the DSP. We updated the firmware on these and turned off the feedback reduction and have not seen any more issues from these. But still, we have the popping/clicking in the IQ8s.

Four of the new circuits run through a relay panel with 4 - 25A solid state relays that turn on outlets for the two main TCS152s, the TCS115 sub, the two IQ8 speakers and an amp for stage monitors in the equipment rack we installed in a closet behind the stage. There is a 24V transformer plugged into a sequencer in the sound booth that energizes the relays to turn on the speakers at the correct time. Another of the new circuits powers outlets in five new stage boxes and wireless microphone receivers on a shelf off to the side of the stage. The last new circuit is behind the rack and powers an unswitched outlet with a power conditioner plugged in for an S32 stage box, two D16 switches, and an 8 channel DI box.

One D16 switch is for 8 P16Ms on the stage utilizing the main P16 network and the other is to send audio via Ultranet to the main speakers and sub through the AES50-A network. The X32 is located in the back of the room in a soundbooth. The only cables between stage and sound booth are two Cat6 shielded cables, one for main Ultranet network and the other for AES50-A, and a shielded cable carrying the 24V to the relay panel. The only other things connected to the X32 are Aux ins from the tape deck, CD player and computer and two Aux outs for recording/streaming computer and assisted listening.

Each IQ8 speaker has its own home run Cat6 shielded cable back to the P16D and each has its own address. The main speakers and sub are daisy chained with one Cat6 shielded cable back to the P16D and have two addresses one for the two mains speakers and one for the sub.

I really need to figure out what is causing this popping. I assumed it had something to do with some EMI or RFI interference from a motor on an air conditioner or some other appliance in the building, but after turning off , and back on, every breaker with no change in poping, aside from the breaker that the speakers are powered by, I just don't know. I thought it could be Ultranet, but the mains speakers are just fine.

We have traced down and cleared up any hum, buzz or noise on every input and output due to the grounding issue. The only thing left is the popping/clicking in the IQ8s.

Sorry for the long description, but I figured the more info I could provide upfront the better chance I might have of someone seeing something that I don't see in my setup that could be causing a signal issue.

Has anyone had similar issues and what was the cause/fix for it?
29 REPLIES 29

Re: Continuous popping/clicking in IQ8 Speakers on Ultranet

Volunteer Moderator
Do you have the usb connected on the iq-speakers when this starts to happen?
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!

Contributor - Level 2
The Ultranet cable for the sub is daisy chained with the two main speakers and home run back to the P16D, and each of the IQ speakers have their own Ultranet home run back to the P16D. If you are asking if they are all powered on when this happens, the answer is yes just not connected on the same Ultranet cable.

Contributor - Level 2
Sorry, I just saw you said USB. No, the USB is not connected to any speaker when this happens

Contributor - Level 3
check if you have a dispersion on ground of halogen light... Smiley Wink
Gabriele

Contributor - Level 2
Both IQ8s are on the same circuit. It is a brand new circuit pulled just for these and has a ground connected to a ground bar along with five other audio-only circuits and is terminated to a ground bar that is isolated from all other grounds in the panel. There is a #4 ground wire just for this ground bar that is run back to an 8' ground rod attached at the main building ground.

I don't think there are any halogen lights in the room. They have changed most of them to LED accept for two troughs that run down either side of the main room which are fluorescent strips with electronic ballasts.

Triber Moderator
Do they continue to click/pop when there's nothing connected to the input channels on the back of the speaker? If so then I think it might be time to call CARE.
Michael Lapke

Contributor - Level 2
Only Ultranet is connected to back of speakers. I don't know why, but now that you mention it I have not disconnected Ultranet to see if it happens with no signal input. I will definitely do that when I am back on site. What is CARE?

Volunteer Moderator
Care Support. Behringers (yes I know that they actually are called MusicTribe) customer tech support.

Please see my signature.

John Anthony Deaton;153676 wrote:
Only Ultranet is connected to back of speakers. I don't know why, but now that you mention it I have not disconnected Ultranet to see if it happens with no signal input. I will definitely do that when I am back on site. What is CARE?
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!

Contributor - Level 2
Robert Lofgren;153683 wrote:
Care Support. Behringers (yes I know that they actually are called MusicTribe) customer tech support.

Please see my signature.

I figured it was something like that. Thanks