Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Mixer Connections and cables??? what kind do i use??

I have some questions about my mixer output and would like some guidance. I will try to break it down on what I have, How It is used and how it is connected.  I would like to have someone tell me if this is correct and how to do it correctly.

What I have: 

2- microphones for Basketball Court Announcers. XLR Balanced.

Laptop computer audio 5- foot Mini-plug output to 1/4 inch mono plugs.

Behringer QX1002USB mixer. 

How it is used:

Basketball game cout side announcing. We have 2 mics for the announcers and I play music from a laptop. Very simple set-up. The area supplys the connection of a Single XLR cable. (i don't know how it hooks to the AMPS or arena speakers.) I do know if I connect a microphone (SM58) to the area supplied XLR jack it will work.  We needed music for the games so I wanted to add the mixer so i could get music from laptop. I connected the microphone into mixer.  

My Big question:

What kind of cable to I use to get out of the MAIN output of the mixer to this XLR connection.??

What kind of cable / adapter do i use from computer to mixer. am I using the correct cable now?

digitalfade Contributor - Level 2 2019-11-12

2019-11-12

Mixer Connections and cables??? what kind do i use??

I have some questions about my mixer output and would like some guidance. I will try to break it down on what I have, How It is used and how it is connected.  I would like to have someone tell me if this is correct and how to do it correctly.

What I have: 

2- microphones for Basketball Court Announcers. XLR Balanced.

Laptop computer audio 5- foot Mini-plug output to 1/4 inch mono plugs.

Behringer QX1002USB mixer. 

How it is used:

Basketball game cout side announcing. We have 2 mics for the announcers and I play music from a laptop. Very simple set-up. The area supplys the connection of a Single XLR cable. (i don't know how it hooks to the AMPS or arena speakers.) I do know if I connect a microphone (SM58) to the area supplied XLR jack it will work.  We needed music for the games so I wanted to add the mixer so i could get music from laptop. I connected the microphone into mixer.  

My Big question:

What kind of cable to I use to get out of the MAIN output of the mixer to this XLR connection.??

What kind of cable / adapter do i use from computer to mixer. am I using the correct cable now?

• 0 Kudos
  • 9 Replies
Rising Star - Level 3

Re: Mixer Connections and cables??? what kind do i use??

Hi Brett ( @digitalfade ), 

Welcome to the community.  The 1002 is a great mixer for this kind of setup.  Plug your two announcer mics into the XLR connectors for Channel 1 and 2.   Connect your laptop line out to the mixer Line In 3/4 using a 3.5mm stereo TRS to 1/4" TS plugs.  Something like this: https://hosatech.com/products/analog-audio/stereo-breakouts/hosa-breakouts/cmp-150/

Keep this cable as short as reasonably possible since it's an unbalanced connection. 

Rotate the "Pan" knobs on Channels 1-4 fully to the "L" so everything is coming out the left side. 

Connect Main Out L to the venue XLR connection using a 1/4" TRS-to-XLR cable such as this: https://hosatech.com/products/analog-audio/interconnect-cables/hosa-pro-single-interconnects/hsx-000...

This cable can be as long as needed or longer since it's a balanced connection. 

Hope this helps, 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Super Contributor - Level 2

@digitalfade 

In addition to Ken's ( @KenMitchell  ) advice, your comment "I do know if I connect a microphone (SM58) to the area supplied XLR jack it will work."  suggests that the house system is set to take a mic-level input. If so, you may need to attenuate the output from the mixer to a suitable level. An XLR attenuator like this should do the job.

Rising Star - Level 3

Thanks @RexBeckett - Good catch.  I'd missed that in the original post. 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks Guys. That is what I thought i shoudl do...but my brain is asking another question.  If I PAN to the Left will my computer audio lose the right channel?? Maybe the PAN on this mixer is controling the output side.?

Thanks again for the great replys. 

@digitalfade wrote:

Thanks Guys. That is what I thought i shoudl do...but my brain is asking another question.  If I PAN to the Left will my computer audio lose the right channel?? Maybe the PAN on this mixer is controling the output side.?

Thanks again for the great replys. 

@digitalfade 

You are correct - if you are only using one side of the stereo output you would lose one side of your stereo input.

The easy fix is to plug one side of your music source into LINE IN 3/4 Mono and the other side into LINE IN 7/8 Mono. This will convert the stero input to mono so you don't lose anything. Set the Level controls of channels 3/4 and 7/8 the same and set their pan controls to centre.

Rising Star - Level 3

@digitalfade , 

Sorry for the mis-information. I was thinking the line 3/4 balance would rotate the stereo image to the left vs. cut the right side. I've been working with too many stereo imaging plugins lately. 

Ken

Contributor - Level 2

I was really HOPEING you were correct on this PAN. I was thinking that it might work because of the TRS 1/4 inch plug to XLR. Then it would keep all the L/R inputs and send them out verses just a mono 1/4 inch. 

I guess i am overthinking.

Contributor - Level 2

@digitalfade wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/SiYear-Splitter-Microphone-Converter-Adapter/dp/B07HLL3S3B/ref=asc_df_B07HLL3...Smiley Tongue

If i use this cable on the MAIN MIX out it should work.

@digitalfade 

No I don't think so. The item description suggests that it is intended for connection to systems with stereo inputs on unbalanced XLR. If you use this to connect to a balanced mic input, it will cause the mono part of the stereo signal to be cancelled leaving only the stereo difference - which will sound strange.

I suggest that you follow Ken's advice for connecting one side of the mixer output to the single XLR input to the house sound system. If you connect your stereo music source as I suggested, you should get both sides summed to mono.