Re: Bad experience with AES50 to act as split snake to between M32C/DL32 as FOH and X32 as IEM Mixer
DannyKurywchak Contributor - Level 3 2019-08-06

2019-08-06

Bad experience with AES50 to act as split snake to between M32C/DL32 as FOH and X32 as IEM Mixer

I have a Midas M32C & DL32 that we always use with all our IEMs (in Stereo) connected to the AUX sends (4 wireless and our drummer is wired).   We have it setup with great mixes until we get a new sound guy that continually plays with gains changing our IEMS all night long.   I decided we had enough and tried tonight to connect our M32C/DL32 to act as FOH and use our DL32 AES50 B to connect to a X32 rack system.   I was able to get it all connected and working however, when testing it during band practice tonight the same issues prior appear that they will still be a problem as the AES50 doesn't allow a complete independant connection between the FOH and IEM Mixer in this case. They both share the gains of FOH which will be a problem again with a sound guy that likes to continually change gains.   Am I doing something wrong?  if not, why would anyone recommend AES50 split between FOH and IEM mixers?  

My goal is to give my band complete flexibility of EQing each channel to their liking within their IEMS. Right now by using just the M32C/DL32 after FOH is set we can change EQ of just their stereo Bus sends to assist but that's it.   I did purchase a 32 channel split snake this week and haven't tried it yet as I wanted to try the easier solution with AES50 split first.  If everyone agrees that we can never get true independant mixes this way for our IEMs that won't be affected by FOH, is my only solution to use an Anolog split snake?  And if so, what is the best way to give each musician what they want in their IEMs?  I'm willing to work with each musician until the EQ, FX, etc. is to their liking, I know if the drummer likes his kit mixed a specific way in his IEMs everyone gets what he prefers but seems to be the most fair as each gets to choose their own mix of their instrument, correct?

I would appreciate any pointers on this topic ASAP as I need a solution by this Friday so we can start and end with the same great mix in our IEMS regardless of what FOH does.

Thanks in advance,  Danny K

• 0 Kudos
  • 10 Replies
Highlighted
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Bad experience with AES50 to act as split snake to between M32C/DL32 as FOH and X32 as IEM Mixer

@DannyKurywchak wrote:

I look forward to your response on the best way to give EQ, FX to all, I think I'm forced to use a shared FX across someone bus which will be OK if I use FX1 for a  plate reverb just for snare/BD, FX2 for a Hall Reverb for Vocals, FX3 Delay for vocals, and only give FX1 & FX2 to buses that want FX in them but still looking forward to hear your thoughts.   We use all our own Mics every gig so once we dial it in and save it as a scene this should keep the IEM mix 95% there for most shows.

Each channel strip has a 4 band parametric EQ, compressor and gate. If the sends of that channel strip is set to pre-fader all of that processing is available to that sends. But other sends (if tapped as pre-fader) has the same processing available. What than means is that the channel processing is channel strip specific, not sends specific. If you are using a low channel strip count (eg. 8 channels), you could duplicate the channel source (eg channel 1, 9, 17, 25 assigned to AES50 A1). That would provide separate channel processing per monitor mixes (eg. 4 mixes). Realistically there are very few bands with only 8 channels and 4 monitor mixes that would invest in an X32, etc. So compromizes are required. 

An alternative is to use P16M that would provide separate EQ (basic) processing. Of course there are caveats to this solution (limited channel count, expense, etc.). My church uses 6 of them and love them. But we got them back in the days before David released Mixing Station (Aug 2013) and the P16 was cheaper than an iPad. 

In a similar manner, the FX (reverbs, etc.) has 4 slots available and the 4 mixbuses that feed them. The return (wet) signal to each of those FX has to be shared to any monitor sends and there is no getting around that. But most pros only want a bit of reverb to cut the dryness of IEM mixes and that is all, They don't expect studio quality individual FX mix. Anyone who requires individual FX is only showing their insecurity and lack of confidence IMO.

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator