Contributor - Level 3

DL32 as a split snake option with analog FOH

Hello,

I own a DL32 and a M32C. I love my setup but need a split snake for our IEM setup for analog FOH systems.  I was thinking about purchasing another DL32 or another device that i could connect via the second AES50 port to act as a split snake. Any thoughts on how this could work for Anolog FOH systems or digital systems that don't have a AES50 port?

Thanks for any info,

Danny K

DannyKurywchak Contributor - Level 3 2019-07-26

2019-07-26

DL32 as a split snake option with analog FOH

Hello,

I own a DL32 and a M32C. I love my setup but need a split snake for our IEM setup for analog FOH systems.  I was thinking about purchasing another DL32 or another device that i could connect via the second AES50 port to act as a split snake. Any thoughts on how this could work for Anolog FOH systems or digital systems that don't have a AES50 port?

Thanks for any info,

Danny K

• 0 Kudos
  • 4 Replies
Volunteer Moderator

Re: DL32 as a split snake option with analog FOH

Hi Danny @DannyKurywchak,

It would be better to get a couple of rackmounted 8 channel splitters such as the Behringer MS8000 or ART S8. That way each consoles will have independent gain control. 

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Rising Star - Level 2

Hi @DannyKurywchak 

You could use the preamps and then send those signals back to the outputs (with 16 more outputs). The FOH sound tech might not be happy not having control of the preamps, not to mention the possibility of extra noise and hum. Splitting transformers (or a splitting snake) are the preferred choice. ART and Behringer make rack mount splitter (8 channels/rack). Several forum members have used these and have been discussed at length.

Contributor - Level 3

Thanks for the info Paul & Dave.  For my band we use 24 channels of the DL32, sounds like it might be easier to purchases a 24 or 32 channel split snake with breakout xlr cables attached?  If so, do you have one in mind that you can recommnend? Thanks for any follow-up advice. Danny 

Highlighted
Volunteer Moderator

@DannyKurywchak wrote:

For my band we use 24 channels of the DL32,  

Then getting a second DL32 won't help for splitting purposes, since it only has 16 outputs.

I still think a good option is to get enough (3) of those rackmounted mic splitters. That way it can be added to the flight case that you have the DL32, patch in your side of the inputs (from splitters to DL32) and have a short 24 channel snake cable to patch from the splitters the house snake. 

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!