Contributor - Level 2

Digital Snake over fibre

I am looking at buying an SD8 but need to locate the Digital Snake more than 100m away from my X32, I work at a lot of stadia where distances often exceed 100m. I know one option is to use a Klark Teknik DN9610 to extend the Cat5 another 100m but that is not a good solution for me in an outdoor environment as the box could end up anywhere and probably exposed to the elements.

Has anyone successfully extended over fibre? I use ST fibre for other things and have a 10/100 ethernet to ST fibre converter. Behringer specify shielded Cat 5 but fibre isn't affected by interference, anyone doing it or any thoughts if it would work without problems.

Many thanks

Steve Ryder - Stryder TV

SteveRyder Contributor - Level 2 2019-07-19

2019-07-19

Digital Snake over fibre

I am looking at buying an SD8 but need to locate the Digital Snake more than 100m away from my X32, I work at a lot of stadia where distances often exceed 100m. I know one option is to use a Klark Teknik DN9610 to extend the Cat5 another 100m but that is not a good solution for me in an outdoor environment as the box could end up anywhere and probably exposed to the elements.

Has anyone successfully extended over fibre? I use ST fibre for other things and have a 10/100 ethernet to ST fibre converter. Behringer specify shielded Cat 5 but fibre isn't affected by interference, anyone doing it or any thoughts if it would work without problems.

Many thanks

Steve Ryder - Stryder TV

• 0 Kudos
  • 9 Replies
Super Contributor - Level 2

Re: Digital Snake over fibre

@SteveRyder 

Hi Steve, welcome to the forum.

AES50 is not compatible with Ethernet beyond the physical level so probably would not work through typical Ethernet/Fibre converters. There is a Klark Technik product that is designed to transport AES50 over single-mode fibre up to 1km. This is DN9680 but it isn't a low-cost solution.

KT also have the DN9620 to run a pair of AES50 lines over multi-mode fibre up to 500m. This may be more cost effective.

Contributor - Level 2

Hi RexBeckett

Many thanks for your very prompt reply.

I knew it wasn't going to be that easy! As you say that is an expensive solution which I couldn't justify. Back to the drawing board.

Volunteer Moderator

Hi Steve @SteveRyder,

Why not use a couple of the KT DN9610 in in ziplock bags?

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator
Triber Contributor

Hi @SteveRyder 

I strongly second the recommendation for the DN9620 and running fiber. We have several clients using these with M/X32 systems and the added distance, flexibility, and reliabilty grossly outweigh the initial cost. As stated, being MM fiber, it can accommodate up to 500m however we do offer 150m opticalCON Duo reels that can be purchased via Midas dealers. 

Chase McKnight, Solutions Manager
Contributor - Level 3

Quote from a supplier..

“...the NCAT5E-50M is not only flexible in terms of its superior mechanical properties—it also can be deployed in many situations. If a single 50 m run is not sufficient, you can extend two cables to 100 m using the optional Neutrik NE8FF connector. Simply unwind the cable from the drum. If you need AES50 connections exceeding the typical 100 metre limit of CAT5 Ethernet, KLARK TEKNIK’s DN9610 Extenders or DN9620 Repeaters provide a very cost effective solution.”

Contributor - Level 2

Thank you for all of your input.

To explain my scenario, I provide 4-6 camera outside broadcasts for UK and international broadcasters and am frequently asked to cover football (soccer!) matches. For a match we would have a presenter and two guests on the gantry/pitchside and then 2 commentators in the gantry plus I need to feed talkback and programme sound back to them. These are often grounds with little or no cabling infrastructure. Usual cable run from the Production Trailer is about 150m, sometimes going around the edge of the pitch. My perfect solution would be to run in one robust ST fibre multicore cable and spur off that. I have an X32 with Dante card and could either use an SD8 via Cat5 or a Dante I/O device. The Dante solution now looks to be the favoured option as it goes over fibre easily.

Again many thanks for all of your contributions.

Steve Ryder

Stryder TV Ltd

Super Contributor - Level 2

@SteveRyder wrote:

Thank you for all of your input.

To explain my scenario, I provide 4-6 camera outside broadcasts for UK and international broadcasters and am frequently asked to cover football (soccer!) matches. For a match we would have a presenter and two guests on the gantry/pitchside and then 2 commentators in the gantry plus I need to feed talkback and programme sound back to them. These are often grounds with little or no cabling infrastructure. Usual cable run from the Production Trailer is about 150m, sometimes going around the edge of the pitch. My perfect solution would be to run in one robust ST fibre multicore cable and spur off that. I have an X32 with Dante card and could either use an SD8 via Cat5 or a Dante I/O device. The Dante solution now looks to be the favoured option as it goes over fibre easily.

Again many thanks for all of your contributions.

Steve Ryder

Stryder TV Ltd

@SteveRyder 

Having seen the level of equipment in some OB Production Scanner trucks, I'm surprised that the price of a pair of DN9620s would frighten you, Steve.  Dante may well be a better solution for you though as it would adapt more easily to your existing fibre cabling. 

AES50's main advantage is ultra-low latency - important when talent use IEMs. In a small system such as you describe, Dante's latency should also be OK. 

Contributor - Level 1

或許你用 x-dante 是一個較好的方案

透過dante 你可以用一般sm光電轉換器 獲得非常低單價的光纖轉換

而且從傳統p2p 傳輸當中解放出來

變為星狀拓樸

Contributor - Level 2

Thank you, this is how I am now looking to do it.