Contributor - Level 1

M32r and dl32 connection dropouts

having drop out issues with my m32r and dl32 stage box. I’m using a brand new 50m cat5e reel. Is there a way to check if the cable is broken? The problem seems like static build up because it will be fine for about 20mins then will start intermittently dropping out. 

Jhayward1 Contributor - Level 1 2019-11-07

2019-11-07

M32r and dl32 connection dropouts

having drop out issues with my m32r and dl32 stage box. I’m using a brand new 50m cat5e reel. Is there a way to check if the cable is broken? The problem seems like static build up because it will be fine for about 20mins then will start intermittently dropping out. 

• 0 Kudos
  • 7 Replies
Super Contributor - Level 2

Re: M32r and dl32 connection dropouts

@Jhayward1 

Hi Jordan, welcome to the forum.

Does your Cat5e cable have Ethercon shells fitted? These should have end-to-end continuity to avoid dropouts due to ESD. You could check with any multimeter that has resistance or continuity measurement. Some users have found that the shells were not grounded on their cables because the shielded RJ45 plugs had not been fitted correctly.

Valued Contributor - Level 2

Yes and there are some made and for sale, even with ethercons, where they only connected the shell to a ground on one end. As Rex said the easy test to see if it's wired properly is to put a multimeter on the continuity setting and touch the probes to each end's ethercon shell, if you get continuity, they are wired correctly. If not you should replace them or repair them. You can also check the shieded rj45's the same way. If they are wired right you will get the same results. However you still need the ethercon as the rj45's shell makes contact with the ethercon shell which then prevents the static build up from shorting from the cable to the mixer case.

Contributor - Level 1

Thanks guys I will dig a multimeter out. It’s a supposedly a touring grade cable with ethercon connectors at both ends so it Should be wired right. I’m travelling around Europe so was also wondering if grounding could be an issue? I’m using uk to European adapters on both my stage box and desk 

I've seen the "touring grade" cable be just as discussed. Cable fine, good quality, ethercons fine but drain/shield only connected at one end, and by design I might add, it wasn't a lazy solder day at the plant. It is still possible your cable is just fine and not the problem. It sure fits the symptoms of faulty cable though. Hope you solve it!

Highlighted
Rising Star - Level 3

@GaryHiggins , 

There are some EEs who feel it's better to only connect the drain at one end to avoid chassis ground loops between equipment.  I've done susceptibility testing both ways and as long as it's connected at one end the drain will do it's job.  That being said, I favor conected at both ends since it does improve EMI noise shielding. 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver

@KenMitchell It was demonstrated many years back that the protection afforded by connecting the braided or foil shield at both rj45 ends along with using ethercons was the best way to keep aes50 signals from being disrupted by the effects of ESD. It has been the accepted way to wire them by the major players for some time, including models offered by KT and Behringer (Ncat5e-50m). Yes improved EMI protection an added benefit as well. I have also seen a fair number of threads over the years regarding the use of the 'one end connected' Cat5 where the same pops and crackles and disconnects were present. This is about as official of a stance I could locate

Rising Star - Level 3

hi @GaryHiggins , 

Not disagreeing with you. Just wanted to point out why some cables may be that way "by design". That KT article even mentions the ground loop issue.  In a telco setting, I once had an STP shell spark when it came in contact with the chassis of a far-end switch.  Scary in a telco environment and could possibly be worse in an AV setup.  Being that TRS and XLR cables have the shield connect at both ends it stands to reason that Ethercon should be configured that way as well. 

Ken

As the saying goes "the proof is in the pudding." 

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver