Contributor - Level 3

Only BUS 1 Has Effects Capability on M32C / DL32

Hello All,

I've gone through all settings and can't see the difference why only BUS 1 has effects working.  We use the M32C (that I updated to 4.01 because I couldn't get effects working in the other busse) along with the DL32 as a IEM rack system along with a split snake.  After updating the FW to 4.01 I used the clean scene to test other busses and effects work fine.  I tried using my latest scene over the clean install scene with a safe on routing and it still wouldn't allow the other buses to get effects working.  I'm attaching my latest scene, can someone please let me know what I missed?  Any information would be greatly appreciated.  

Danny

DannyKurywchak Contributor - Level 3 2020-01-02

2020-01-02

Only BUS 1 Has Effects Capability on M32C / DL32

Hello All,

I've gone through all settings and can't see the difference why only BUS 1 has effects working.  We use the M32C (that I updated to 4.01 because I couldn't get effects working in the other busse) along with the DL32 as a IEM rack system along with a split snake.  After updating the FW to 4.01 I used the clean scene to test other busses and effects work fine.  I tried using my latest scene over the clean install scene with a safe on routing and it still wouldn't allow the other buses to get effects working.  I'm attaching my latest scene, can someone please let me know what I missed?  Any information would be greatly appreciated.  

Danny

• 0 Kudos
  • 3 Replies

Accepted Solutions
Super Contributor - Level 2

Re: Only BUS 1 Has Effects Capability on M32C / DL32

@DannyKurywchak 

Hi Danny, the most obvious difference is that the signal tap for all eight FX Returns is set to Pre Fader for buses 1/2 but Post Fader for the other buses:

X32 Channel Sends.PNGChannel Sends

This wouldn't stop FX working on the other buses, provided the FX Return faders (Fx1 L .. Fx4 R) were raised for the Main LR mix but they are all right down.

Adding FX Returns to monitor mixes is a compromise: The FX Sends depend on the channel fader levels (post-fader) and therefore so does the level of the FX Return; Monitor sends from channels are usually pre-fader so, when you add FX Returns to a monitor mix you are mixing pre-fader and post-fader signals. The best compromise is probably to take pre-fader sends from the FX Returns as you currently have on buses 1/2.

You can change the signal tap to a bus for all channels at the same time by clicking on the global button on the left before changing the tap.

BTW: I notice you have a potential FX feedback loop in that FX4 Send (Bus 16) is being sent all the FX Returns including its own. This can result in loud digital feedback which is not good for speakers or ears! I suggest you pull all the FX Return faders down for Bus 16.

X32 FX Loop.PNGBus 16 Sends on Fader

View solution in original post

Contributor - Level 3

Since I know that effects do work on all buses with a clean intialized M32, what is the best way to use safes to load my latest scene after a clean wipe that has all my saved channels labeled and all eq'ing done in hopes to get effects working again without redoing all labeling, eqing, iem aux settings etc?

Super Contributor - Level 2

@DannyKurywchak 

Hi Danny, the most obvious difference is that the signal tap for all eight FX Returns is set to Pre Fader for buses 1/2 but Post Fader for the other buses:

X32 Channel Sends.PNGChannel Sends

This wouldn't stop FX working on the other buses, provided the FX Return faders (Fx1 L .. Fx4 R) were raised for the Main LR mix but they are all right down.

Adding FX Returns to monitor mixes is a compromise: The FX Sends depend on the channel fader levels (post-fader) and therefore so does the level of the FX Return; Monitor sends from channels are usually pre-fader so, when you add FX Returns to a monitor mix you are mixing pre-fader and post-fader signals. The best compromise is probably to take pre-fader sends from the FX Returns as you currently have on buses 1/2.

You can change the signal tap to a bus for all channels at the same time by clicking on the global button on the left before changing the tap.

BTW: I notice you have a potential FX feedback loop in that FX4 Send (Bus 16) is being sent all the FX Returns including its own. This can result in loud digital feedback which is not good for speakers or ears! I suggest you pull all the FX Return faders down for Bus 16.

X32 FX Loop.PNGBus 16 Sends on Fader

View solution in original post

Contributor - Level 3

Thank you Rex!  Once I changed Fx 1L through Fx 4R globally to Pre Fader and brought all down in Bus 16 everything started working perfectly!  I don't understand why effects wouldn't work on the other busess even if the faders were up in post, oh well.  You just saved me from pulling out more hair.  It's much appreciated!