Contributor - Level 2

X32 Rack and saved presets

The artist I work for prchased an X32 rack and an S16 (since the X32 rack is really an X16) for their IEM's. So, we have toured with this setup for two years now. I have saved show files/scenes religously. Here's an issue I just came across. We are about a month away from a fly date and decided to not fly the rig since the Samsonite gorillas at Delta last year decided to throw our flight case around smashing the X32R. Needless to say they did not accept responsibility.

Okay, I have arranged for the audio vendor to provide a full sized console (X32/M32) I took the file I saved onto my USB stick and went into my shop to verify the file on an M32. Everything loaded up fine EXCEPT for channels 17-32! Even though I saved the show/scene and individual channel presets, the preamps/headamps for 17-32 did not load up. They are all set at zero. What gives? I was dead sure a saved full channel parameter save would load up. Has anyone else run into this dilema? It can't be a dumb, "oh it's the S16 not an X32 set of channels" thing. Or is it? 

I need to resolve this soon because the IEM rack is in storage on the East Coast and I am on the West. I don't think management is going to pay to fly me to extract that little bit of info and then fly to our gig in Florida.

Any ideas?

Andrew Pardo
oidua Contributor - Level 2 2020-01-08

2020-01-08

X32 Rack and saved presets

The artist I work for prchased an X32 rack and an S16 (since the X32 rack is really an X16) for their IEM's. So, we have toured with this setup for two years now. I have saved show files/scenes religously. Here's an issue I just came across. We are about a month away from a fly date and decided to not fly the rig since the Samsonite gorillas at Delta last year decided to throw our flight case around smashing the X32R. Needless to say they did not accept responsibility.

Okay, I have arranged for the audio vendor to provide a full sized console (X32/M32) I took the file I saved onto my USB stick and went into my shop to verify the file on an M32. Everything loaded up fine EXCEPT for channels 17-32! Even though I saved the show/scene and individual channel presets, the preamps/headamps for 17-32 did not load up. They are all set at zero. What gives? I was dead sure a saved full channel parameter save would load up. Has anyone else run into this dilema? It can't be a dumb, "oh it's the S16 not an X32 set of channels" thing. Or is it? 

I need to resolve this soon because the IEM rack is in storage on the East Coast and I am on the West. I don't think management is going to pay to fly me to extract that little bit of info and then fly to our gig in Florida.

Any ideas?

• 0 Kudos
  • 6 Replies
Volunteer Moderator

Re: X32 Rack and saved presets

Hi Andrew @oidua ,

Welcome to the forum. The reason why the preamps for channels 17-32 is not what is expected is that the preamps are actually located at the XLR jacks. Therefore the preamps settings are not part of the channel strip data (OSC commands starting with /ch). Instead it is part of the /headamp OSC command section of the scene file. You were using the X32 Rack inputs (Local) probably for channels 1-16 and the S16 for channels 17-32 (AES50). Transferring those scene files to the full size M32, you are expecting these preamp settings to automatically become Local (1-32), and they are not. 

There is a solution using X32 Scene Parser. It has a a headamps tool that can transfer headamp settings from sets of 8 (eg. AES50 A1-8) to other sets of 8 (eg. Local 17-24). This will create a snippet that can be then merged with the current scene file. If you need help with Scene Parser, let me know.

The other option to transfer these settings is to go to the Setup, preamps screen and look at the appropriate AES50 set of 8, write down those settings then apply them on the appropriate Local set of 8.

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Rising Star - Level 2

I think it very well could be the issue of the s16. A Rack only has 16 preamps, if you were incorporating S16 aes50 ch's when you saved it and there are none used, none attached on the full desk when you load it up, it makes sense to me they might not register when local ch's show up in their place. 

Edit: Sorry Paul, I type mighty slow! Didn't see you reply

Contributor - Level 2

Hey Paul,

thanks for responding .I figured this would be the weak point of using this system. So is it possible to get the information from the file or do I have to fly across country to get the info from the X32/S16? All other digital console files tend to retain all scope info within scene/show files. 

Andrew Pardo
Volunteer Moderator

@oidua wrote:

So is it possible to get the information from the file  

Yes indeed. Import your show file into X32-Edit (or M32-Edit). Then go to the Setup, preamps screen. If you used AES50 port A (on the back of the X32 Rack), select the AES50 A1-8 and the first 8 gain and phantom from the S16 will be there. You can write them down, then change to the Local 17-24 and make the necessary changes. Do the same with the AES50 A9-16 and Local 25-32. But if you have many scenes, that is going to get tedious very quickly. That is why I suggested you use Scene Parser. 

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 2

Paul,

first thing this morning I opened the file and dove right in where you suggested to look. It seems to have worked. Luckily we only save a static scene per show and occasionally update channel presets. 

The show is saved and I learned another new little step in the X/M32. 

Cheers.

Andrew Pardo
Volunteer Moderator

Glad to hear that it was that simple Andrew, with only one scene. When you end up with multiple scenes, that is when it gets tedius (and where Scene Parser can help). Enjoy the tour.