Highlighted

About to buy VL3X - Last Minute Question!!!

Contributor - Level 2
Hi everyone, and Happy New Year!* Smiley Very Happy

I'm planning on buying a VL3X this week, but have a last min question which I can't find a specific answer to (well, not a crystal clear answer anyway)...

I want to use the VL3X for vocals of course, but also for guitar effects.** But, I want to use my existing guitar effects as well.

So onto my question(s):

Can I use the VL3X for both my vocal effects and the guitar delay and reverb, BUT whilst using some other pedals from my existing guitar pedalboard?* I need to be able to combine VL3X guitar effects with my other pedals.

This is a potential dealbreaker for me if the answer is no, so any advice would be really appreciated!

Would I simply put the VL3X into my guitar amp effects loop?* If so, where should it sit in the chain (I have a delay and boost already in the loop).* I'll be using the guitar amp and some drive pedals for my overdrive tones.

Just as an example, I'd like to use the VL3X 's Flashback delay and HoF reverb alongside my Strymon Riverside overdrive and my Digitech Mosaic.

Thanks in advance!
Tags (1)
10 REPLIES 10

Re: About to buy VL3X - Last Minute Question!!!

Volunteer Moderator
The vl3x does not support the 4-cable method so you might get tracking problems if you put the vl3x in the gtr.amp loop and if you use distortion pedals or similar at the same time.

I’m thinking that it might be possible to split the signal from the guitar into the aux input and have it track from that source.
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!

Contributor - Level 2
Robert Lofgren;157959 wrote:
The vl3x does not support the 4-cable method so you might get tracking problems if you put the vl3x in the gtr.amp loop and if you use distortion pedals or similar at the same time.

I’m thinking that it might be possible to split the signal from the guitar into the aux input and have it track from that source.

Thanks Robert,

I'm not too worried about tracking - harmonies are not my main priority, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference? I'd like to use harmonies, but if they can't track properly I'll switch them off.

I would just like the VL3X to replace some (but not all) of the pedals on my board.

Volunteer Moderator
I’d use the time based fx from the vl3x in the gtr.amp loop and you can ditch your current delay pedal. It also has a boost so you can remove that as well.

The vl3x fx are fully separated between the vocal and gtr fx, so they don’t share the same fx engine(s). The tap tempo is common so you can enjoy tap sync’ed delays for your vocals and gtr.
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!

Contributor - Level 2
Hey Robert, Thanks for the replies!

So I can definitely run the VL3X into the amp fx loop for time based effects and still use my other pedals in the front of the amp?

I'm pretty keen on keeping my boost pedal in the loop, it's probably the best/cleanest boost I've ever tried (and I've tried a lot!), but I'll try the VL3X boost for comparison too.

If I decide to stick with my own boost pedal, would that cause a problem having it in the loop alongside the VL3X?

Volunteer Moderator
Sean Fox;157977 wrote:
Hey Robert, Thanks for the replies!

So I can definitely run the VL3X into the amp fx loop for time based effects and still use my other pedals in the front of the amp?

Yes, you can. But as I said before, your front pedals might interfere with the harmony tracking if they are a bit too excessive.

I'm pretty keen on keeping my boost pedal in the loop, it's probably the best/cleanest boost I've ever tried (and I've tried a lot!), but I'll try the VL3X boost for comparison too.

What boost pedal do you use? Yeah, give the vl3x boost a try. I assume that it is a solo boost since you keep it in the loop?

If I decide to stick with my own boost pedal, would that cause a problem having it in the loop alongside the VL3X?

Nope, you should be good to go.

Have a blast and explore the fx in the vl3x. I had fun trying them out

If you are a fx type of guy then you should look at ‘steps’ as well. It is a kind of presets within presets...

Contributor - Level 2
Thanks so much Robert, yes you're right about the boost - it's a solo/lead boost. It's an Xotic EP Booster.

Hopefully the harmony tracking won't be too bad - if/when I use harmonies, I'll generally just be playing power chords with a bit of dirt added.

I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on the VL3X. I've had a VL2 for about 7 years now, although I only really ever used it for delay/reverb and doubling. The guitar effects a big selling point for me - also I think looper function on the VL3X will be really useful as my band plays to a click a lot, so I'm planning to pre-record some backing vocal loops to kick in during some songs.

Volunteer Moderator
Dirt is ok. It is when you dig into heavy gain distortion when things get tricky

Power chords won't help you much with the harmonies since they are 'uni-sex'. They are neither minor nor major so the vl3x will have problems guessing the intended type of chord.

However, the vl3x has a builtin mic that will listen to the room so it may be able to detect the proper chords that way.

But you can always use the fixed harmonies like octaves or fifth's without any tracking.

Sean Fox;157993 wrote:
Hopefully the harmony tracking won't be too bad - if/when I use harmonies, I'll generally just be playing power chords with a bit of dirt added.

Contributor - Level 2
That's interesting!! I didn't know the VL3X had a built-in mic for sensing keys!

It's a fairly loud rock band that I'm in so I don't know how accurate it'll be given the volume levels of everything, but it'll be fun to try out at least!

Thanks so much for your help Robert - I now feel confident placing my order when I get home from work tonight!

Contributor - Level 2
Actually... Can I ask another question - about the built-in mic this time?

Could I use it at home with just me and an acoustic guitar to show me what the harmony keys are? I'm thinking I could then use that info to manually program the harmonies, rather than relying on the guitar tracking.