Vocal

If singing is your thing then this page is for you! Join other vocalists and talk about singing techniques, tips, favorite artists, gear, experiences and more.

Highlighted

FX150 Noise adding artifacts, noise issues to my guitar sound! (with audio clips)

Contributor - Level 2
Hi!

So I decided to use electric guitar live for a while + singing.
I noticed that my FX150 totally changes (eq is flat tone off,, everything flat, no reverb. tried high Z on, off and even using a DI box) my tone for worst.

It adds some bad artifacts to the frequencies (like a buzz, white noise), cuts definitions, and makes the whole sound really worst.

I tried it with different guitars, pedals and preamps. It happens with them all. For mic/singing, I can't notice anything in my face like that, but it definitely sounds worst (less clear, defined) than straight to the PA or interface.
The audio clip below is with a Sansamp fly rig RK5.
(ignore the left and right pan)

About the audio clip:
1st part: Gibson->Rk5-> straight to my Apollo twin DUO mkII.
2nd part (13 seconds and on): same pedal settings. Gibson->Rk5-> but going to the FX150 and then Apollo twin DUO mkII.

https://soundcloud.com/giovannicozzaofficial/fx150-noise-problem

(LISTEN WITH HEADPHONES and you'll clearly understand the "buzz" and definition I'm talking about)

I didnt even touch the setting, all the eq are flats in the fx150 and my apollo. It totally changes the sound in a bad way.

What should I do?
6 REPLIES 6

Re: FX150 Noise adding artifacts, noise issues to my guitar sound! (with audio clips)

Contributor - Level 2

Re: FX150 Noise adding artifacts, noise issues to my guitar sound! (with audio clips)

Volunteer Moderator
I recall that there was a firmware update for the fx150 as certain instruments could trigger a condition that sounds like your issue.

Have you installed the latest firmware?
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!

Contributor - Level 2
Hi Robert!

Yes, I have the latest firmware installed.

I also have two FX150. They both are updated and show the same issue.

Contributor - Level 2
bump

Triber Moderator
Hey Giovanni,
This is so weird! I passed your recording around the office and we aren't really sure what the deal is. Especially since both of your FX150's are exhibiting this behavior... Since you're using the latest build, can you try disabling the new Bass Extend feature (by holding "Low" on the Aux channel for 3 seconds) and see if that makes a difference? Were you already hearing these artifacts before updating to the latest build (44)?
Ooh and one more long-shot test please - can you try this without the Rk5? One thing I noticed about the Rk5 is that it has a high-impedance input and a low-impedance output which seems weird to me.
Spencer Larsen - Testing Engineer @ TC Helicon, MUSIC Tribe. Our Support Team is always available for more urgent assistance.

FX150 Noise adding artifacts, noise issues to my guitar sound! (with audio clips)

Contributor - Level 2
Hi Spencer Larsen.

I just posted (being reviewed) a note on this issue, in relation with a much older thread date 2014, same issue. In the case of my FX150 the problem seems to have worsened as my audience take notice even at a high volume.

Just hoping I don't have to throw away my unit because in all other respects I really really like it.

Thanks!
Luis Lugo
Conversation Stats
  • Replies
  • Views
  • Kudos Given
  • Contributors