Vocal

If singing is your thing then this page is for you! Join other vocalists and talk about singing techniques, tips, favorite artists, gear, experiences and more.

Highlighted

Output - can voicelive carry out only "processed vocals"? (processed singing)

Contributor - Level 2
I read vl3x manual and videos but still not sure...

If I play a song on a mp3 player plugged in voicelive AUX input and, aswell, sing on a microfone plugged in voicelive , can the output of voicelive be only "processed vocals"? And which output type would be? XLR ?

By "processed vocal" I mean the whole result of my singing being effected by voicelive: for example using just a reverb or NaturalPlay hardtune feature of voicelive.
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Output - can voicelive carry out only "processed vocals"? (processed singing)

Contributor - Level 2
What makes you unsure? is there something making you think your pitch is not being corrected when monitoring?

My understanding is, the VL3 Natural Play pitch correction is always working, UNLESS, you have the global pitch correction turned down to Zero percent in the System Input settings. There are also system level settings affecting the quality of the vocals in the Tone tab. Also, in System tab, make sure you select the appropriate Natural Play source to include Aux, since your MP3 player will be used for pitch correction.

A simple experiment to experience pitch correction is to play your guitar/instrument with a simple chord (G chord), and sing the note G intentionally flat or sharp and notice how VL pulls your singing into pitch with the chord. While doing this, you can also adjust the pitch correction setting to get an idea how much correcting you want VL3 to do. Depending on how good your voice is will determine what you set it at. I have found setting it to high makes it sound artificial. You can also plug an instrument into the Aux jack, if you are concerned the Natural Play is not using the Aux input. Personally I have not used the Aux as a Natural Play source but suspect it can be complex given it has to determine the key’s from a “song” from the MP3 player. But glad it’s in there since many folks requested it years ago. I suspect you can use Aux to have your very own Karaoke .

Jeff

Re: Output - can voicelive carry out only "processed vocals"? (processed singing)

Contributor - Level 2
No, I mainly ask if the output of Voicelive would just be the voice; because I would like it to be this way;

I would't want output to be voice all in one with music (music and voice combined/mixed).

I would want only voice.

Thanks Jeff

Contributor - Level 2
The Guitar Output jacks are auto sensing - if anything is plugged into the the Guitar Out jacks, only the Voice will come out of the XLR outputs. But since you will need to listen to the MP3 player too, you will need to use the headphone jack. But the problem is, you will also have vocals coming out of the Headphone jack with the MP3 player. I don’t believe there’s a way there’s a way to isolate them but explore the mix control knobs below the LED screen, for the Main Mix and Headphones tab. You may be able to isolate them.

Contributor - Level 2
I haven't bought any Voicelive, so had this pre-sale question.

I wont need to listen to the music in Voicelive headphones jack, because actually a mixer will be plugged in between mp3 player and Voicelive, so I will use mixer for listening, not Voicelive headphones jack.

Thank you Jeff for kindly reply, I really appreciate your even if still figuring it out. I wish somebody had made an exemplifying video about this topic.

Contributor - Level 2
* or somebody try it out.
Conversation Stats
  • Replies
  • Views
  • Kudos Given
  • Contributors