Highlighted

Perform VG Audio Issue

Contributor - Level 2
I have been experiencing a bug with my Perform VG via head Phone use where the Vocal and guitar volume mix will increase and drop off a few dbs also at the same time the sound mix image will seem to cycle between a full stereo image and what I would describe as not a mono image but a reduced stereo image. These events occur regardless if there are other cables plugged into the unit or if the only connects are the mic, guitar input and head phones. The same behavior occurs regardless if any or all of the vocal and guitar effects are active. I just installed the new firmware that is available but I am not sure if that update addressed this issue or if perhaps I just have a unit with issues.

UPDATE: Well I just tried the unit after the firmware update and still have the same issue.
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Perform VG Audio Issue

Triber Moderator
Hi Gary,
How long does it take for your Perform-Vg to exhibit this issue? Would it be possible for you to please make a recording of the output? It's possible you might have a faulty device :/
Spencer Larsen - Testing Engineer @ TC Helicon, MUSIC Tribe. Our Support Team is always available for more urgent assistance.

Contributor - Level 2
Hello!!

I have bought Perform AG after over a year using VL3. My other singer started to sing more and VL3 is too much for us now.

I have a problem with Perform AG. I use Trex Soulmate for my acoustic guitar effects and its ok, just when i connect it to Perform AG via IN and Thru i experiance tonal lost, AG is eating some tone and tone is not the same anymore connected this way Smiley Sad

Is IN/THRU true bypass or not?

I ended up connecting my guitar effects normally, and from right output i go in Perform AG but in TRU jack i have put just a blank Jack.

Other issue i have is that backing vocals on Perform AG are not that loud even on volume set to max.
Is there a way to make back vocals louder?

Triber Moderator
Hey Frankie,
You might want to experiment with the BodyRez button on the VG if you're not happy with your tone. Maybe try turning it off if you're content with just the T Rex?
The "Thru" guitar output on the VG is not a true bypass, it is a buffered output.
You can control the volume level of the harmony voices by holding the Harmony button, then the dark blue ring that shows up is the level control. Fully clockwise (all LEDs blue) is 100% volume, at unity with your input lead voice.
Hope that helps, cheers!
Spencer Larsen - Testing Engineer @ TC Helicon, MUSIC Tribe. Our Support Team is always available for more urgent assistance.

Contributor - Level 2
Spencer Larsen;134220 wrote:
Hi Gary,
How long does it take for your Perform-Vg to exhibit this issue? Would it be possible for you to please make a recording of the output? It's possible you might have a faulty device :/

Hi Spencer,

Sorry i lost track of this thread and did not see your reply.
To answer your first question it generally starts to happen after 15-20 minutes of use. Since first posting this I have replaced the unit but still have the same exact issue with the new unit. In the exact same signal chain i can replace the VG with my Voice Live3, Harmony singer or even my Harmony GT pedal and never experience the issue. I will
try to record an example of what is going on and provide that to you.

Same here!

Contributor - Level 2
I am having a similar issue with the VG. I believe that I have narrowed it down to the pitch correction feature.

As I get closer and farther from the mic, it will tend to trigger this more frequently. If I hit a chord and then hold my hand over the mic it definitely triggers these fluctuations. I feel like it is the correction feature trying to find the pitch. Maybe the guitar out of the monitor is looping back through the mic and confusing the unit? It happens with or without singing. It really makes the pitch correction feature unusable as it is quite noticeable.

I hope they can come up with a fix quickly.

Triber Moderator
Gary or Frank,
I'd greatly appreciate a recording (audio or even video) of this issue in action please. I still don't really understand what you're experiencing other than "reduced stereo image" after 15-20 minutes which isn't much to go on. I've spent quite a bit of time playing with VG myself so I'm wondering if the signal chain or input is making a difference.
Are you both on the latest firmware? What kind of microphone are you guys using? What kind of guitar? Any processing pre-VG? Which outputs are you using? Which effects do you have active (Tone, anti-feedback, vocals, guitar)? What exactly are you experiencing (output dB up and down?)? More details pretty please, basically just please describe your entire setup Smiley Wink

Details

Contributor - Level 2
Spencer,

I am using an SM58 mic into the mic input, A Gibson L-1 with an LR Baggs Lyric pickup plugged into the guitar jack. I am using the XLR out into a PA. I have used a pedal or two in front at various times but this issue happens running direct or in a chain. I noticed no difference between either setup. I think that I noticed it using headphones, as well but I need to double check that.

There is no specific time frame that it occurs after star up, as far as I can tell. It is hard to describe the change in sound. The tone and or volume seems to change noticeably. It is a an abrupt change, not gradual, and it seems to be triggered by proximity changes with the microphone. I also seems to be isolated to when pitch correction is on, again, this is as far as I can tell. I will try to get a recording but I will not have the opportunity for a couple of weeks as I will be traveling.

Thank you

Firmware

Contributor - Level 2
And I did not update with the latest firmware. Were there any audio bug fixes? It looked like mostly footswitch assignment adds. I have updated and plan to check again when I can.

Same issue here

Contributor - Level 2
Hey I've been experiencing the same issue (most noticeable through headphones). Since the firmware update it's been less consistent though. I was using the unit to record (via another USB interface) 2 days in a row. First day no noticeable sound image pops or sudden shifts. Today however it was fine for a little while then did it about 8 times in 5mins... Also now that i've been looking out for it, i've actually heard it through a PA so its not just the headphone jack.

You can hear it in 2 small clips here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wbjz2qkk0pnss16/Sound%20Issue.mp3?dl=0
and
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cyfs784iimo3yrn/Sound%20Issue%202.mp3?dl=0

I'll make separate posts but I thought Id mention some other things here as they may be related (others with this issue may have noticed these other things too). 1. The guitar channel is interacting with the microphone peak LED - should this be the case? 2. The anti feedback is activating even when there is no other sound source for the mic to pick up (playing with headphones only or again into the USB interface for recording).

Cheers