Highlighted

Should I get a NEW VL3E or go with a different Vocoder?

Contributor - Level 2
So I got a brand new VL3E, and after the second time using it, I got the blue screen of death. A factory reset didn't work.

Luckily, it was under 30 days so I was able to send it back to Amazon.

My question is, should I take my chances and get another VL3E, or get a different, more reliable product?

From reviews, it seems like the blue screen issue is pretty common. Which is super weird considering how expensive it is.

Anyway, if I got a different vocoder/effects peddle, which would you recommend?

My current set up is an MPC Live with a KP3. The KP3 has some vocoder effects, but it's a little more robotic than something like the VL3E would be.

Thanks so much!
Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5

My two cents...

Contributor - Level 2
Michael Bird;158562 wrote:
So I got a brand new VL3E, and after the second time using it, I got the blue screen of death. A factory reset didn't work.

Luckily, it was under 30 days so I was able to send it back to Amazon.

My question is, should I take my chances and get another VL3E, or get a different, more reliable product?

From reviews, it seems like the blue screen issue is pretty common. Which is super weird considering how expensive it is.

My current set up is an MPC Live with a KP3. The KP3 has some vocoder effects, but it's a little more robotic than something like the VL3E would be.

Thanks so much!

Obviously, you are going to read people that had problems with the units... because people with units that work perfectly are not going online to complain... they just use it happily... if 10 units had issues VS 25,000 units on the market... I can't tell you the exact number but, you got my drift? I wouldn't order this thru Amazon but I'd rather buy the unit from a reputable music dealer... You get to try it before buying it... A defective device doesn't make a good demo..

Re: Should I get a NEW VL3E or go with a different Vocoder?

Contributor - Level 2
That makes sense Dennis...thanks man. Yeah, judging by the low reviews on Amazon, they must have a lot of defective units. Because on sites like Sweetwater, the reviews are stellar.

Ok, I'll just get a full refund from Amazon then, and go to Sam Ash instead and buy it there in person where I can try it out.

Thanks for the advice!

~Michael

You're welcome! :-)

Contributor - Level 2
Michael Bird;158753 wrote:
That makes sense Dennis...thanks man. Yeah, judging by the low reviews on Amazon, they must have a lot of defective units. Because on sites like Sweetwater, the reviews are stellar.

Ok, I'll just get a full refund from Amazon then, and go to Sam Ash instead and buy it there in person where I can try it out.

Thanks for the advice!

~Michael

Well, you're welcome, Michael. I do own this unit and it's downright fantastic. We must keep in mind that this unit is designed for voices purposes first and foremost... the looping, backtrack, amp processing and automation features are bonuses.. thus, they are not as complete as separate devices would be...

Vl3x

Contributor - Level 2
I hope if you get a new one it works for you i've had 3 of these VL3X devices and all have gone faulty i've not had much luck with them at all be careful. If you don't need all the excess stuff i'd go with something simpler I'm not overly happy with the way i've been treated with the faults of my board either which is rather unfortunate considering the price of these devices

Re: Should I get a NEW VL3E or go with a different Vocoder?

Super Contributor - Level 1

@MichaelBird wrote:

I got the VL3X and I use most of the features in it. But it takes a looong time to learn how to use it. If you just need the vocal effects, but not the guitar effects, looper, recording capabilities etc., I would go for something simpler. Something you can just plug in and start using without having to read hundreds of pages, consult forums, experiment with settings and setups, troubleshoot etc. I can't recommend anything in particular, it depends on your needs.