Highlighted

VL3X Performance Files (Backing Track and Effect Automation)

Triber Moderator
Hiya VL3X users,
As you probably already know, the Extreme version of our VoiceLive 3 added internal backing track functionality and the ability to automate effects in time with the backing track. The combination of a backing track with automated effects, in the context of VL3X, is called a Performance.
I'm making this post to share with you a couple of Performances for you to play with. The first is Amazing Grace, many of you already have this as it shipped pre-loaded onto VL3X's. However I've been asked many times by users who have performed a factory reset and lost the Performance, so here it is. The second is Blank Space by Taylor Swift. I was tasked to create this Performance automation for a promo video we were going to shoot that never came to be. So instead of letting my time go to waste, maybe some of you can make use of this Smiley Wink

Amazing Grace Performance download link

Blank Space Performance download link

To download these as a Performance, click the "Download" button in the top right of the Google Drive page, don't selectively pick out files from the package. These Performance files (.vl3pkg) contain both the backing track and the effect automation. To import these to your VL3X, place them on a USB flash drive in the root directory. Plug the flash drive into the USB-A port on VL3X, press the "Store" button, and tab over to the "Performance Import" tab. Here when you've highlighted one of the Performances, you can use the rightmost Mix knob under the screen to select the destination preset. It'll overwrite whatever preset you choose here so be careful. You press the Control Knob to select the Performance(s), then hold it to confirm, select OK, then just wait and boom, you got it!

Also, if you've made your own Performances please feel free to share them here with others! I know they take quite a bit of effort to create, and they're such a great way to demonstrate what VL3X is capable of.

You can find more information on Backing Track Sequence Recording starting on page 80 of the VL3X manual.
Spencer Larsen - Testing Engineer @ TC Helicon, MUSIC Tribe. Our Support Team is always available for more urgent assistance.
Tags (1)
13 REPLIES 13

Performance Tracks

Contributor - Level 2
Where are people uploading Performance Tracks? Is there a place that Users Upload User Presets that they made? Any links?

Re: VL3X Performance Files (Backing Track and Effect Automation)

Triber Moderator
Nothing for Performance sharing yet, Paul. I'm trying to get that going on here Smiley Wink Have any of your own to contribute?
(As for presets, I already answered that in your other thread)
Spencer Larsen - Testing Engineer @ TC Helicon, MUSIC Tribe. Our Support Team is always available for more urgent assistance.

Edit Performances Externally?

Contributor - Level 2
I know I can save and export Performances, but can I edit them Externally on a desktop? For example take a few exported performances and select portions of several and mash them together like a medley?

Triber Moderator
Unfortunately no.

How many performances ......

Contributor - Level 2
How many performances can the VL3X store and in what format can the music tracks be?

Triber Moderator
Hey Martin,
The VoiceLive 3 Extreme has 16GB of memory for you to work with. How many songs it stores will depend on their length and quality. Here's some relevant info from the manual (p. 75)...

"The internal audio file format of VL3X for Backing Tracks is 16 bit resolution and 48 kHz sampling rate. If you convert your audio files to this format directly from the signal source (e.g. your DAW), you can save up to 60% of the import time.
If your audio files are MP3 files or WAV files with another resolution or sampling rate, they need to be converted. When the conversion is done, you can start using these tracks. This process can take a while.
Please note that VL3X will NOT show up as a hard drive when connected to your computer. A USB flash drive must be used for Backing Track import."

Contributor - Level 2
Thank you Spencer

Why not export & mix in a DAW?

Contributor - Level 2
Spencer Larsen;139748 wrote:
Unfortunately no.

I was wondering if you downloaded the performances in question and then imported into a DAW, could you not use the DAW to get the mix you wanted? Depending on BPM, you could also add a click track to aid in transition between songs?

Triber Moderator
Hey Gui,
Performances are saved as ".vl3pkg" files, a proprietary format created to contain the audio and effect automation. So unfortunately this is not something you can import into a DAW.