Highlighted

VL3X mic gain dropping

Contributor - Level 2
Hi, I'm currently on my 3rd VL3X. My first one had everything freeze up and stopped working, my second had the pixels in the screen glitch out as well as the mic gain dropping in and out. My third one also appears to have this mic gain problem. I have not updated the unit yet but my first one (the one week it worked for) did not have this gain issue without the update so I don't believe that updating it will solve the problem. I have automatically set the mic gain and manually set the mic gain but still has not resolved the issue. I am a guttural vocalist but I also do cleans so the input I give to the mic does vary. I would like to know if there is a factor I've missed setting up my unit. It would be great not having to send a third pedal away costing me a lot of money in shipping. Any advice would be fantastic, thank you.
7 REPLIES 7

Re: VL3X mic gain dropping

Contributor - Level 2
what does "drop in and out" mean? can you be more specific? you're saying you set it manually and it still does this?
Beta Tester for Fractal Audio Systems

Contributor - Level 2
Hi
Do you have MIC CLIP PROTECTION turned ON.
Setup->INPUT
This is designed to help Clipping occur, if you start to sing louder and it is causing clipping the unit will then reduce the Mic Gain to help reduce Clipping.

If it is doing it on a per preset basis, make sure that the vocal trim is not effecting this, Press Vocal, arrow all the way to the right to PRESET and you have options for VOCAL LEVEL TRIM and LEAD PAN.
Editors for :- VoiceLive 3/Extreme, VoiceLive 2, VoiceLive Touch, VoiceLive Touch2, VoiceLive Play GTX, Perform VK. https://www.voiceliveeditor.com

Contributor - Level 2
Chris: While singing the gain will get quieter all of a sudden and then come back. The dipping of the gain happens intermittently but when it does happen it will happen several times.

VoiceLiveEditor: I have now turned off the mic clip protection for a show I played over the weekend. I thought I still noticed some dips in the levels how ever this could have been due to the different place on stage I was standing. I will test again during the week at home to see if it still occurs.

Could you please explain the vocal trim to me as I do not quite understand what it does.

Thank you

Contributor - Level 2
Hi
The Vocal and Guitar Trim that is in the Preset TAB, is there to help you level all you presets.
What can happen when you add effects and alter their parameters you can end up with a combination where the complete volume for the vocal or guitar effects are higher or lower than the other presets you have crafted, so by either increasing or decreasing the vocal/guitar trim you can make the preset match your other presets.

Hope that helps.
Editors for :- VoiceLive 3/Extreme, VoiceLive 2, VoiceLive Touch, VoiceLive Touch2, VoiceLive Play GTX, Perform VK. https://www.voiceliveeditor.com

Contributor - Level 2
Have the same problem
Have you found any solution yet ?

Contributor - Level 2
I ended up sending this product away to be assessed and found it to be faulty they replaced the device for me for the second time. I'm actually now trying to get it replaced for another fault now

Contributor - Level 1

I'm having the same problem... Any luck? Onto my THIRD VL3X in 15 months..