Vocal

If singing is your thing then this page is for you! Join other vocalists and talk about singing techniques, tips, favorite artists, gear, experiences and more.

Highlighted

What do the attack/release numbers relate to?

Contributor - Level 2
i have a play acoustic (last firmware)
When i go to the advanced options on the bodyrez in the compressor settings
attack and release only go from 0 to 19 ...
what do those numbers correlate to?
are they miliseconds?
I really hope not because having just 0-19 miliseconds to choose for attack and release times doesn't seem like a smart choice.
Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5

Re: What do the attack/release numbers relate to?

Contributor - Level 2
On a guitar (or in general) compressor, attack controls how much of the "initial attack" on the sting is articulated from min(0) to max(19). So if you're strumming you may want to set it toward a minimum setting so your strumming sounds more evenly, but if you're chicken picking (like country music players do) you may want to set it toward a maximum setting so each note pops out.

Release controls the decay time of the note you play. On min(0) setting, the note decays naturally but on max(19) setting the note is sustained.

So if you're playing Van Halen's Cathedral (from Diver Down) for example, you may want to set the attack to 0 and the release to 19.

Like any effect just experiment though.

Contributor - Level 2
It would sure be nice to know the actual or estimated milliseconds as that is what a lot of us refer to since we compare what we find useful in, say, a VST or RTAS plugin and would like to start with a close setting to what we already know works with a particular vocalist or genre.
Can the milliseconds reference to the 0 - 19 be unveiled somehow? Even if TC simply gave us a general reference chart.

Triber Moderator
Hey you guys!
I was also asked to dig into this by a coworker in support, I'll share my findings with you as well Smiley Happy So the compressor algorithm was actually developed by TC Electronic, and because we're such good buddies they let us use it in our products as well. The parameters for "Attack" and "Release" are not milliseconds, they're basically positions in a list of numbers that you're choosing from. In hindsight it seems weird this info wasn't in the manual, but I guess we figured people would use their ears instead of their eyes. Anyways I've attached a table showing how the values you see in the UI relate to the internal values for Attack and Release in the compressor. Cheers!
Spencer Larsen - Testing Engineer @ TC Helicon, MUSIC Tribe. Our Support Team is always available for more urgent assistance.

Contributor - Level 2
Thanks a lot for the response!!
Seriously ...very very grateful. Smiley Very Happy
That should really be added to the pdf manual

Contributor - Level 2
This chart is very helpful. At least now I know which direction to go when I want a faster attack and slower release. Lower number = faster and higher number = slower.
Conversation Stats
  • Replies
  • Views
  • Kudos Given
  • Contributors