Musician

Highlighted

What will I get, if to replace VL3 internal memory card on large ? for example will I

Contributor - Level 2
What will I get, if to replace VL3 internal memory card on large ?for example will I insert inward Micro SD 64 Gb ?
Tags (1)
12 REPLIES 12

Re: What will I get, if to replace VL3 internal memory card on large ? for example will I

Contributor - Level 2

Yes it is time to hear from folks who have opened the lid. And someone out there knows how to get a service manual. All products get orphaned at some point. If you love it (and know how to follow instructions) tips, tricks and info be good.

I have not thought about adding memory but I have thought the memory card will fail at some point.

Re: What will I get, if to replace VL3 internal memory card on large ? for example will I

Triber Moderator

In both VoiceLive 3 and VoiceLive 3 Extreme, the SD card is written at the factory when they're assembled. If you just popped in a larger card, as nice as it would be to have more memory, the pedal wouldn't boot up. The unit requires the factory code to function properly. Even if you duplicated the current card to a bigger one, that wouldn't make use of the added space because you'd have to tell the storage partition to use those additional memory blocks. Basically, I don't think it would work, and I couldn't advise trying it because it might mess up your systems settings, or worse. But if you do try it please report back, haha, I'd be interested to see how it behaves Smiley Tongue
Spencer Larsen - Testing Engineer @ TC Helicon, MUSIC Tribe. Our Support Team is always available for more urgent assistance.

Contributor - Level 2

Hi, if you read this Spencer, I wanted to ask you if you knew of anybody successfully swaping out the SD card in a VL3? Mine had the white screen of death just before a concert on Saturday and I'm trying to see whether or not it can be fixed and, somehow, regain enough faith in it to use it again in a live situation. Also, do you have any photos of the insides of a VL3 that you could let me see? I haven't opened it yet, I'm still at the plastic bag filled with rice phase, but if that doesn't work I'll go for the contact spray in through the sides, and only failing that will I try opening it up. I hope you're around! Thanks anyways, Rick

Contributor - Level 2

Hi Spencer and Craig

We're just trying to keep stuff working. How do you copy (details) the SD card to another BEFORE something fails. What is the exact process for replacing the card with the backup? Where can I get a Service Manual?

Thanks

John

Triber Moderator
Hey Rick and John,
So far, I don't know of anyone outside of the office here duplicating the micro sd card from either a VL3 or VL3X. Not that it's impossible, but it is trickier than just popping it into your computer. The cards are written with a Linux-based EXT4 filesystem, so your Windows and Mac computers won't be able to read them (do not 'format' them!). My experience with these cards consists of using a dedicated sd card duplicator to clone cards for testing purposes. I can say for sure, using one of those duplicators works great, as it carries over the partitions as well as the files on them (the cards have four partitions if I remember correctly). Maaaybe a local computer retailer/service center will have one they'll let you [or charge you to] use?

I just did a test with a virtual machine running Ubuntu on my Windows 7 machine... I plugged in the uSD card from a VL3X and can see the files on it, like presets and backing tracks. However just copying all the folders/files from the card to my local drive induced permission errors. I formatted a new uSD card to EXT4 format and tried to move the copied files onto it and... white screen. I think this is because the card needs to be properly partitioned with the exact partition sizes of the original. Maybe with more effort and research this method could work, but that's about as far as I can test for now.

Here's some food for thought: I once heard of a VL3 that was shipped overseas to a warm climate experiencing a white screen. The user opened the unit, cleaned the contacts of the sd card and the little spot where it mounts (isopropyl?), and that fixed the problem. Turned out some kind of grease or residue from the factory melted during shipping and goofed the sd card contact. If you want to try this, there's a little metal door that holds the sd card in place - this cannot touch the circuit board under it! Place a piece of paper (or even better, tape) onto the board to keep the door from touching it.

TL;DR - I don't think using your computer to copy the card data from one to another will work. Using an sd card duplicator has worked for me. Replacing your existing card with a larger capacity one is near impossible without dev hardware. Do not format your card without a backup, and do not remove your card without protecting the circuit board.

*John - I don't have access to service manuals, and I don't think the service guys would be able to provide you with one, sorry.
http://support.tc-helicon.com/entries/21000532-getting-technical-assistance-for-repairing-products
Spencer Larsen - Testing Engineer @ TC Helicon, MUSIC Tribe. Our Support Team is always available for more urgent assistance.

Contributor - Level 2
"the card needs to be properly partitioned with the exact partition sizes of the original. "

Use clonezilla. http://www.clonezilla.org/

Contributor - Level 2
just clone the sd of my unit using the dd command in a linux machine.
It boots, but it just shows the voicelive 3 logo and the "system manteninece" text but it gets stuck there and cant give it any input.

Any idea what could it be? I clone the sd card like 3 times usign different methods, always same result

Contributor - Level 1
Hello Spencer my name is Michael and I registered here because I got a Voicelive 3 extreme unit and I read all the horror stories about the terrible design (using a lousy SD card) most people know they are totally unreliable and they break easily. I used a program called Acronis to make an image of the card. I booted off the Acronis disk. I was able to restore the image on an identical SD card. No problem, I have this card as a back up. I also tired a 64 gig sd card and I instructed Acronis to resize the partitions accordingly. The operation is successful. The only thing is that Acronis is about 49 dollars and you have to burn a boot cd or USB drive. I tried Clonezilla (free) no luck. And I can make available the original image for people who need it but they will have to buy Acronis and remove the Torx screws to gain access to the card. I hope this helps a lot of people who are dealing with the issue. And I hope TC-Helicon will go away from this design.

Weird design choice indeed for pro level material...

Contributor - Level 2
My two cents on this one:

TC Helicon should have used an SSD device instead... Or I wouldn't mind the SD card but, you NEED to make it available with a cover on the back so that you can remove it and have a routine programmed into the software where you could clone the card to another for security/reliability purposes... I bought this unit thinking it was pro level design... feel free to correct me if I am wrong here.

I love the unit... I am not as sure about its long term reliability...

Conversation Stats
  • Replies
  • Views
  • Kudos Given
  • Contributors