Top Solution Authors
Contributor - Level 1

Can I use VoiceLive 3 with a midi keyboard instead?

Hi there,

I'm currently using TC Helicon's Harmony M with my midi keyboard.

I need the presets/steps features that VoiceLive 3 is offering so I want to switch to that product.

However, it is being advertised/promoted as a voice/guitar effects product and I'm not planning on using it with a guitar but with a midi keyboard instead.

I want to sing, play some chords on my midi keyboard and I want VoiceLive 3 to be able to translate those keyboard chords into harmonies for example.

Is this possible or will I have problems with it?

Is VoiceLive 2 Touch better for me maybe? However, I noticed that VoiceLive 2 Touch does not have "steps" but only "presets". I don't want to have to create 5 presets for a single song. I want one single song-preset containing a bunch of steps inside (verse, chorus, bridge etc..)

Thanks in advance for your help! Smiley Happy

nimasan Contributor - Level 1 2019-11-12

2019-11-12

Can I use VoiceLive 3 with a midi keyboard instead?

Hi there,

I'm currently using TC Helicon's Harmony M with my midi keyboard.

I need the presets/steps features that VoiceLive 3 is offering so I want to switch to that product.

However, it is being advertised/promoted as a voice/guitar effects product and I'm not planning on using it with a guitar but with a midi keyboard instead.

I want to sing, play some chords on my midi keyboard and I want VoiceLive 3 to be able to translate those keyboard chords into harmonies for example.

Is this possible or will I have problems with it?

Is VoiceLive 2 Touch better for me maybe? However, I noticed that VoiceLive 2 Touch does not have "steps" but only "presets". I don't want to have to create 5 presets for a single song. I want one single song-preset containing a bunch of steps inside (verse, chorus, bridge etc..)

Thanks in advance for your help! Smiley Happy

• 0 Kudos
  • 2 Replies

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Triber Moderator

Re: Can I use VoiceLive 3 with a midi keyboard instead?

Hey @nimasan,
VoiceLive 3 is advertised as a vocal and guitar processor because in addition to our suite of vocal effects it also has a bunch of guitar effects, but you can absolutely use it with a keyboard instead.  You can either use just the MIDI output from your keyboard to guide harmony voices, or use the audio output of your keyboard (if it has any) and apply the guitars effects to it, or even use a combination of the two.  So yeah what you're asking is totally possible, Gavin Castleton has a really good video on the topic here.

As for VoiceLive Touch 2, it can work well with a keyboard as well but I wouldn't say it's better for you.  Like you've noted, the Touch 2 doesn't have the ability to create Steps so you'd be working with neighbouring presets instead.  The biggest benefit that Touch 2 has over VoiceLive 3 - aside from being mountable on a mic stand - is its 6-track looper, VoiceLive 3's looper only has 3 tracks.

Hopefully that's helpful, let me know if you have any more questions.  Cheers!

Testing engineer at TC Helicon, MUSIC Tribe. Our Support Team is always available for more urgent assistance.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Triber Moderator

Hey @nimasan,
VoiceLive 3 is advertised as a vocal and guitar processor because in addition to our suite of vocal effects it also has a bunch of guitar effects, but you can absolutely use it with a keyboard instead.  You can either use just the MIDI output from your keyboard to guide harmony voices, or use the audio output of your keyboard (if it has any) and apply the guitars effects to it, or even use a combination of the two.  So yeah what you're asking is totally possible, Gavin Castleton has a really good video on the topic here.

As for VoiceLive Touch 2, it can work well with a keyboard as well but I wouldn't say it's better for you.  Like you've noted, the Touch 2 doesn't have the ability to create Steps so you'd be working with neighbouring presets instead.  The biggest benefit that Touch 2 has over VoiceLive 3 - aside from being mountable on a mic stand - is its 6-track looper, VoiceLive 3's looper only has 3 tracks.

Hopefully that's helpful, let me know if you have any more questions.  Cheers!

Testing engineer at TC Helicon, MUSIC Tribe. Our Support Team is always available for more urgent assistance.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

Thank you for your reply! Really helpful indeed! Smiley Happy