Top Solution Authors
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

DAW vocals post-processing with VL3X

I am trying to do this using USB only.  USB alone is connected to the DAW. Not so straightforward... The result is garbled and weird.  Main issues:

1. How would VL3X get Natplay/Roomsense - where would it get harmony scale reference from? I have tried using my guitar track sent to R and Vox track to the L (2 and 1 respectively) - nah! It comes back mixed together in a stereo, but all I want is Vox alone.

2. What is the recommended set up? What is DAW tracking? How is it different from DAW insert?

3. Can it even be done?  Guitar track in for scale reference Natplay that does not output. Dry vox in and wet only vox out (without the guitar).  All using USB only. (Or would I have to use my sound interface to route vox in to mic, guitar to aux/monitor for natplay, and main xlrs back in for recording? That would be sad...)

SETUP:

INPUT - USB mode – DAW insert (what is DAW tracking?)

INPUT - input type USB: voice L/ instr R

INPUT - Lead mute – on

SYSTEM – Global Natplay Source – autosense

SYSTEM – Mix roomsense to NP - on

DrCarrot Contributor - Level 2 2020-03-22

2020-03-22

DAW vocals post-processing with VL3X

I am trying to do this using USB only.  USB alone is connected to the DAW. Not so straightforward... The result is garbled and weird.  Main issues:

1. How would VL3X get Natplay/Roomsense - where would it get harmony scale reference from? I have tried using my guitar track sent to R and Vox track to the L (2 and 1 respectively) - nah! It comes back mixed together in a stereo, but all I want is Vox alone.

2. What is the recommended set up? What is DAW tracking? How is it different from DAW insert?

3. Can it even be done?  Guitar track in for scale reference Natplay that does not output. Dry vox in and wet only vox out (without the guitar).  All using USB only. (Or would I have to use my sound interface to route vox in to mic, guitar to aux/monitor for natplay, and main xlrs back in for recording? That would be sad...)

SETUP:

INPUT - USB mode – DAW insert (what is DAW tracking?)

INPUT - input type USB: voice L/ instr R

INPUT - Lead mute – on

SYSTEM – Global Natplay Source – autosense

SYSTEM – Mix roomsense to NP - on

• 0 Kudos
  • 2 Replies

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Re: DAW vocals post-processing with VL3X

Ok... Lemme tell you what I ended up doing to solve it. It's a workaround. Curiously, VL3X doesnt seem to have a native solution.

SETUP:

INPUT - USB mode – DAW insert (DAW tracking seems to send dry R to R and L to L... why?)

INPUT - input type USB: voice L/ instr R (itself useless as the output combines them into one stereo [or mono if chosen] track).

DAW - route the

a) Dry Vox (to be effected) to the VL3 1 (or, L track of USB) and

b) Guitar (NatPlay source) to your Computer audio (use ASIO4All to configure using both, VL3X and computer audio, in my case Realtek)

HARDWARE - connect the output of your computer audio (3.5mm headphones jack in my case) to the monitor of the VL3X (the beauty of connecting 3.5mm to XLR

I believe this qualifies Bob as your uncle!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Anyone? Going once... going twice...

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Ok... Lemme tell you what I ended up doing to solve it. It's a workaround. Curiously, VL3X doesnt seem to have a native solution.

SETUP:

INPUT - USB mode – DAW insert (DAW tracking seems to send dry R to R and L to L... why?)

INPUT - input type USB: voice L/ instr R (itself useless as the output combines them into one stereo [or mono if chosen] track).

DAW - route the

a) Dry Vox (to be effected) to the VL3 1 (or, L track of USB) and

b) Guitar (NatPlay source) to your Computer audio (use ASIO4All to configure using both, VL3X and computer audio, in my case Realtek)

HARDWARE - connect the output of your computer audio (3.5mm headphones jack in my case) to the monitor of the VL3X (the beauty of connecting 3.5mm to XLR

I believe this qualifies Bob as your uncle!

View solution in original post