Contributor - Level 2

Active DI800

Hi,

I'm slowly learning how to manage the sound in my local church.

Up to now, I beleive our equipment is rather acceptable for what we're doing.

However, I've had complaints from the musicians, who are not satisfied with the quality of the sound they get from the returns.

The installation : Yamaha piano -> Behringer DI800 -> Yamaha MG20 mixer -> HK audio PRSmiley Surprised 10" (active return)

I tried several things to ameliorate the sound in the returns. First step was compare the sound when straight from the instrument into the return, the sound is very good.

Then I tried to use the parallel in/out on the DI800, one for signal input (from the instrument) the other to supply the return. In that configuration, the sound gets worse (according to the musicians).

So I'm trying to understand the difference between (1) straight from the instrument into the return, and (2) first into the DI800 and then using the parallel out to feed the return. Is there even any?

I was also wondering about the active DI for an active instrument (such as an electric piano), I read and heard that it was not optimal, could that be the source of the sound deterioration?

Many thanks in advance!

Eric

Rico87 Contributor - Level 2 2019-10-20

2019-10-20

Active DI800

Hi,

I'm slowly learning how to manage the sound in my local church.

Up to now, I beleive our equipment is rather acceptable for what we're doing.

However, I've had complaints from the musicians, who are not satisfied with the quality of the sound they get from the returns.

The installation : Yamaha piano -> Behringer DI800 -> Yamaha MG20 mixer -> HK audio PRSmiley Surprised 10" (active return)

I tried several things to ameliorate the sound in the returns. First step was compare the sound when straight from the instrument into the return, the sound is very good.

Then I tried to use the parallel in/out on the DI800, one for signal input (from the instrument) the other to supply the return. In that configuration, the sound gets worse (according to the musicians).

So I'm trying to understand the difference between (1) straight from the instrument into the return, and (2) first into the DI800 and then using the parallel out to feed the return. Is there even any?

I was also wondering about the active DI for an active instrument (such as an electric piano), I read and heard that it was not optimal, could that be the source of the sound deterioration?

Many thanks in advance!

Eric

• 0 Kudos
  • 3 Replies
Valued Contributor - Level 2

Re: Active DI800

Hi Eric ( @Rico87 ), 

Welcome to the community.  Can you post the specs or at least the model of the Yamaha piano?  Just a guess but I suspect the outputs of the piano aren't Hi-Z instrument level but instead Lo-Z line level. In other words, you may not need the DI box for the piano.  This is evident when you plug the piano directly into the return and get clean sound. 

Hope this helps, 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Contributor - Level 2

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the answer!

I use the DI for all instruments in order to :
(1) lower the input signal (-30dB on the DI), and
(2) get a balanced signal before going back to the table.

It is indeed probably a line level output on the piano (I put the return in "line" signal level when I tried the direct plug in). I'll have a look at the piano specs next sunday and let you know.

However, I have the same trouble (poor sound) with an acoustic guitar that is definitely passive. I did not try to plug the guitar directly in the return, maybe that could be a useful test.

Best,
Eric

Contributor - Level 2

Hi @KenMitchell ,

Just had some information from the piano, it's a Roland FP-3.

There's a MIDI in and out, and stereo jack in and out (no idea if that's useful).

Any more detailed ideas about the problem? Also considering my previous message. If I understand well, you suggest to plug the piano directly into the table? Considering we use a multipair, I beleive I should at least get it through some device to get a balanced signal before sending it to the table, isn't that precisely what a DI does?

Thanks in advance,

Eric