Contributor - Level 2

Advice

So I was given a Nikon D3400 by a friend who no longer needed it and I want to use it for recording the church services. It only has an HDMI and USB port, and my church currently has an analog mixer with 6 aux outputs. Any advice on how I'd connect this so it could receive the audio from the aux output while still having the video? If so, please link to what would be needed to make this work, thanks in advance!

Cdoe99 Contributor - Level 2 2019-08-14

2019-08-14

Advice

So I was given a Nikon D3400 by a friend who no longer needed it and I want to use it for recording the church services. It only has an HDMI and USB port, and my church currently has an analog mixer with 6 aux outputs. Any advice on how I'd connect this so it could receive the audio from the aux output while still having the video? If so, please link to what would be needed to make this work, thanks in advance!

• 0 Kudos
  • 4 Replies
Highlighted
Super Contributor - Level 2

Re: Advice

@Cdoe99 

Hi Christian, I don't think there is any way to connect an external audio source to the D3400. It can only record sound through its internal microphones.

Contributor - Level 3

As Rex says there doesn't appear to be an external mic input jack on this camera. So you would have to record the audio on a separate device such as one of the Zoom range of digital audio recorders. Then in a video editing app you can use the rough guide track recorded by the camera's internal mic to sync up to the high quality audio recording from the separate recorder.

Contributor - Level 2

Is there any specific type of audio recorder that you could reccomend?

Valued Contributor - Level 1

Hi Christian, 

I have an Zoom H4n Pro and I'm very happy with it.  I think you were also looking at an X32/X32 Rack? Both support USB thumb drive recording or you could add an X-Live card for direct to SD recording.  With this setup you'd be using the miks you already have so maybe just adding an audience room mik would be enough. 

Hope this helps, 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver