Contributor - Level 1

Midas M32 Live

Hey Folks..

I currently own a M32R for personal use (light gigging).  I installed an M32R into a House of Worship recently and it has been a great upgrade.  When I work for other companies usually corporate, I request an M32 because it's home to me.  However I've worked on Yamaha, A&H..and so on.   

The House of Worship I currently mix for finally decided to do an upgrade. There previous set up was analog circa 2001.   

So Yesterday and today were the first 2 days of install.    The setup is  M32 Live with 2 DL16's.     We got everything cabled, placed the console. plugged it all in. Then powered up. I have a sequencing system that consits of relays (2 switches: FOH and Amp Room . So I powered up the console AND   BAM--snap crackle POP!

NOTE: I hadn't even had time to flip the power for the Amp room relays.  However the DL16 (AE550B) on stage was powered on. The Drive DL16 (AE550A) was off.

Upon power up  all the faders slammed to the top and then back down. Crackling was heard coming from the DCA block...sizzling was heard from the Input blocks.  I could smell smoke. All of this within 10 seconds.  I immediately powered off the console.   I unplugged all the Cat5 connections. (Just in Case) and figured If it was jacked It couldn't hurt to power it up again.  Upon the second power up I let it run its course. On the start up screen in small yellow scrolling the following messages appeared :  No Faders Detected, No head amps detected and various other messages which obviously weren't good.   Then it booted to a gome screen for channel 1.  No buttons functioned or encoders. So I powered it down and packed it back up.      Thankfully our Fellowship hall has an X32 in it.        

So I grabbed it and put it at FOH, plugged everything in powered up. (DL16 on stage was still powered up) And it worked exactly as I would have expected...perfectly.     Our Dealer is taking good care of us as I will have a replacement on Monday.   

My question is:

Is there anything possibly that I could have done differently IE; DL16 firmware, Powering up sequence, 44.1 /48K on the DL16's? Anything I'm not seeing? Like I said the X32 Champed right up.

I have used the M32 on 100's of occasions never had a power sequencing protocol except obviously Amps last.   This was my first expierience with the M32 Live. I've been using Midas since the big purple beasts so I'm not concerned with product choice.  I just want to make sure that I got a bad console and that it wasn't something I overlooked.  My M32R had a power supply issue that I had repaired under warranty after 3 years of use, I've heard the power supply can have issues.

Cheers -J

Noisebender Contributor - Level 1 2019-09-05

2019-09-05

Midas M32 Live

Hey Folks..

I currently own a M32R for personal use (light gigging).  I installed an M32R into a House of Worship recently and it has been a great upgrade.  When I work for other companies usually corporate, I request an M32 because it's home to me.  However I've worked on Yamaha, A&H..and so on.   

The House of Worship I currently mix for finally decided to do an upgrade. There previous set up was analog circa 2001.   

So Yesterday and today were the first 2 days of install.    The setup is  M32 Live with 2 DL16's.     We got everything cabled, placed the console. plugged it all in. Then powered up. I have a sequencing system that consits of relays (2 switches: FOH and Amp Room . So I powered up the console AND   BAM--snap crackle POP!

NOTE: I hadn't even had time to flip the power for the Amp room relays.  However the DL16 (AE550B) on stage was powered on. The Drive DL16 (AE550A) was off.

Upon power up  all the faders slammed to the top and then back down. Crackling was heard coming from the DCA block...sizzling was heard from the Input blocks.  I could smell smoke. All of this within 10 seconds.  I immediately powered off the console.   I unplugged all the Cat5 connections. (Just in Case) and figured If it was jacked It couldn't hurt to power it up again.  Upon the second power up I let it run its course. On the start up screen in small yellow scrolling the following messages appeared :  No Faders Detected, No head amps detected and various other messages which obviously weren't good.   Then it booted to a gome screen for channel 1.  No buttons functioned or encoders. So I powered it down and packed it back up.      Thankfully our Fellowship hall has an X32 in it.        

So I grabbed it and put it at FOH, plugged everything in powered up. (DL16 on stage was still powered up) And it worked exactly as I would have expected...perfectly.     Our Dealer is taking good care of us as I will have a replacement on Monday.   

My question is:

Is there anything possibly that I could have done differently IE; DL16 firmware, Powering up sequence, 44.1 /48K on the DL16's? Anything I'm not seeing? Like I said the X32 Champed right up.

I have used the M32 on 100's of occasions never had a power sequencing protocol except obviously Amps last.   This was my first expierience with the M32 Live. I've been using Midas since the big purple beasts so I'm not concerned with product choice.  I just want to make sure that I got a bad console and that it wasn't something I overlooked.  My M32R had a power supply issue that I had repaired under warranty after 3 years of use, I've heard the power supply can have issues.

Cheers -J

Highlighted
Super Contributor - Level 2

Re: Midas M32 Live

Wow, it sounds like an awful experience! My first guess would be there was something wrong with that particular board and nothing more, though that in itself disturbing enough! The Live refers to the addition of the newer X-Live (KT version for Midas) card and I'm wondering how that was set or if somehow that card was the issue. I have an M32R with the X-Live added in it and so far have had no issues that I am aware of. I dont think firmware would be the issue either though my M32 and the X-Live both came with firmware that was NOT the most recent.