Contributor - Level 2

Mobile app for Monitor Mix control on X32

I'm looking for a solution to enable our vocalists to set and control their own monitor mixes, but only their own mix, and not anyone else's, and not the FOH mix.

We have an X32, and each vocalist IEM mix is on a separate mix bus, going to wireless transmitters.  They are using body packs and IEMs.

I've seen the X32 mobile apps, but these seem to either give full control to the user, o rif limited, gives control over every mix bus; including all the other vocalists.

In a previous church, I ran a Presonus board, where it was really easy to assign a connected mobile device to one single Aux bus mix. 

Is there a similar app for the X32, to enable this type of control?

Stoopalini Contributor - Level 2 2019-08-21

2019-08-21

Mobile app for Monitor Mix control on X32

I'm looking for a solution to enable our vocalists to set and control their own monitor mixes, but only their own mix, and not anyone else's, and not the FOH mix.

We have an X32, and each vocalist IEM mix is on a separate mix bus, going to wireless transmitters.  They are using body packs and IEMs.

I've seen the X32 mobile apps, but these seem to either give full control to the user, o rif limited, gives control over every mix bus; including all the other vocalists.

In a previous church, I ran a Presonus board, where it was really easy to assign a connected mobile device to one single Aux bus mix. 

Is there a similar app for the X32, to enable this type of control?

• 0 Kudos
  • 6 Replies

Accepted Solutions
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Mobile app for Monitor Mix control on X32

Hi Thomas @Stoopalini,

Welcome to the forum. The performers can use either the M32-Q app (don't use the X32-Q) or Mixing Station. M32-Q is the official app that restricts the user to only one mixbus (or mixbus pair). Mixing Station is a 3rd party app that can be used unrestricted (for FOH mixing) or restricted to the desired mixbus (or mixbus pair). Both are available for android and iOS. Most of us far prefer Mixing Station, since it provides so much more features (custom layers, custom layouts, different backgrounds - for bright sunlight, etc.).

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

Hi Thomas @Stoopalini,

Welcome to the forum. The performers can use either the M32-Q app (don't use the X32-Q) or Mixing Station. M32-Q is the official app that restricts the user to only one mixbus (or mixbus pair). Mixing Station is a 3rd party app that can be used unrestricted (for FOH mixing) or restricted to the desired mixbus (or mixbus pair). Both are available for android and iOS. Most of us far prefer Mixing Station, since it provides so much more features (custom layers, custom layouts, different backgrounds - for bright sunlight, etc.).

Contributor - Level 2

Thank you for the response!

Do either MixStation, or M32-Q, provide the ability to restrict a single user to a single mix bus?  And have different Mix Bus assignments for different users?

So:
Vocalist 1 uses an iPhone, and has access to only Mix Bus #2
Vocalist 2 uses an android, and has access to only Mix Bus #5
Drummer uses a tablet, and has access to only Mix Bus# 16
etc ....

Or do these apps only allow restricting of a group of Mix Buses, and anyone connecting has access to any of the unrestricted busses?

Volunteer Moderator

The answer is yes to your first main question. When you launch Mixing Station. On the first screen is a drop down that provides the user with Unrestricted, Bus 1, Bus 2, Bus 3, etc. If the bus is linked in the X32, it will configure as a stereo pair in the app as well. I believe that is the same with M32-Q (haven't used that app in years). The best way to find out for yourself is to install the free version (Mixing Station) on an android tablet. There is also a Pro version (which I highly recommend and is only a few dollars in cost). The iOS version of Mixing Station has to be purchased before you can actually see all of the features (something to do with how Apple Store does things). 

I've been using Mixing Station Pro on cheap android tablets that I provide the musicians for about 4 years now and it works great. The musicians love it and I can concentrate on mixing FOH.

Contributor - Level 2

Thanks Paul.  I played with Mixing Station last night, but didn't get far enough to really understand the password protection piece.  I do understand the password is a common password to restrict a group of mix busses.

So when you set a password to restrict the buses (let's say I restrict all 16 mix buses and FOH), then when vocalist #1 connects, and selects Mix Bus #2 from the drop down, the app requests the password.  So I enter the password for them, and they have access to bus #2.

Question 1:  If they back out to the 1st screen, and then try to acces mix bus #3, will it prompt for the password again, thereby restricting their access, even though the common password was already entered previously?

Question 2:  If they back out to the 1st sreen, and then try to re-access mix bus #2 again, will it let them in without asking for the password to be re-entered?

Question 3: If they don't back out, and stay on the mixing console scren, and just close the app .. The next time they open the app (say the following week), will it allow connection to mix bus #2 without the password needing to be entered?

Apologies for all the questions, I'm not at the console now, and won't be until early Sunday morning .. but by that time, I really won't have time to experiement with the setup. 

I really appreciate your input Smiley Happy

Volunteer Moderator

Actually I never use the password feature, since I don't see the value of it. It only stores one password as far as I know. So all of the musicians use the same password for all of the various bus access. When you do close the app, it does remember what bus (or unrestricted) you last selected. All of the musicians that I work with (200+ per year) are completely trustworthy in mixing their own monitors and not others.

Contributor - Level 2

Gotcha, makes sense.  The challenge I saw was that the dropdown only shows the bus #, but not the label.  You don't actually see the label until you access the bus, and then have to look at the top left to read it.

This will be new for all our vocalists, who are on rotation.  Anywhere from 3-7 on stage at any given time.  So I was hoping to set their devices for the bus they'll use, and then not have to worry about them selecting the correct one; or accidentally selecting the wrong one and making changes without realizing it's the wrong one.

I'll experiment when I get some time, and again, I really appreciate your input .. thanks!