Contributor - Level 3

New System

So my church currently has an analog mixer, and we're wanting to get a new mixer (the Behringer X32 Rack specifically) and I just wanted to know opinions on this specific mixer. I've looked up reviews and it doesn't seem too much of a difference from the X32 but I just wanted to know if anyone has dealt with this mixer as a FOH?

Christian Doerflinger
Cdoe99 Contributor - Level 3 2019-08-12

2019-08-12

New System

So my church currently has an analog mixer, and we're wanting to get a new mixer (the Behringer X32 Rack specifically) and I just wanted to know opinions on this specific mixer. I've looked up reviews and it doesn't seem too much of a difference from the X32 but I just wanted to know if anyone has dealt with this mixer as a FOH?

• 0 Kudos
  • 6 Replies
Rising Star - Level 3

Re: New System

Hi Christian ( @Cdoe99 ), 

Welcome to the community.  It's just my personal opinion, but for a church, I would replace an analog console with an X32 (not a Rack) for FOH.   The X32 has full-size faders and buttons so it gives more of a "feel" of an analog console although the signal and work flow are very different.   With an X32 Rack, you are looking at always using a computer running X32 Edit or a Tablet running the X32 App or Mixing Station Pro.   The cost of the X32 Rack is attractive but if you factor in the computer cost, it's almost a wash. 

There are many X32 users here so I'm sure you'll get some valuable feedback. 

Hope this helps, 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Rising Star - Level 2

@Cdoe99 

I'm of the opinion the the X32 Rack is one of the finest mixers out there. The small form factor and it's versatility are some of the reasons I like it. I don't miss the faders at all. 

Rising Star - Level 3

Yes. @DaveMorrison . I agree with that assessment. I'm just thinking of familiarity for a church group who's used to an analog mixer.  I happen to use an X32 Rack positioned just off stage for a theatre group I support.  The FOH connection is Ethernet for a computer running X32 Edit along with Mixing Station Pro running on an 18" Samsung Galaxy View tablet.   Background music and sound effects are injected via USB from a remotely controlled laptop that is in the rack with the X32 Rack. 

This just seems over complicated for a church FOH, particularly if they already have the XLR snakes in place. 

Sorry @Cdoe99 . Didn't mean to hijack your post. 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Rising Star - Level 2

@KenMitchell  

Surface-less mixing is definitely viable—some people love it, some people don't. It would great if @Cdoe99 could try it before buying. For a church group, keeping track of tablets could be a nightmare. And then there is the problem of three people trying to mix at the same time.

Volunteer Moderator

@DaveMorrison wrote:

@Cdoe99 

I'm of the opinion the the X32 Rack is one of the finest mixers out there. The small form factor and it's versatility are some of the reasons I like it. I don't miss the faders at all. 

I also agree with you Dave. The X32 Rack should always be considered an option, particularly for a church situation. My church has the full console, mainly because that was the only model available when they got it (Dec 2012 - Rack was introduced at NAMM 2014). 

With regards to the requirements of physical faders and knobs, I was of the same opinion a few years ago. But I forced myself to learn how to do everything with apps. I just had to swallow my pride first and think out of the box - and I'm glad I did.

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 3

I have an X32 Rack that I let the church use and it is great for me! However, there are others who have a harder time with it because they are less technically inclined. I need to find time to go through the mixer and app with them to help them become more comfortable with it.

It all really depends on the people you have running it, and the training that is able to be provided to them to learn things.