Contributor - Level 2

P-16i connection to X32

Hi everyone! Our church has an X32 mixer and currently uses the P16 system, but we have limited volume control for the in-ears. I found a P-16-i sitting in a box unused. Is it possible to use this directly off of the X32 and before the P16-D module to allow us to utilize the gain switches to give us more flexability? 

From what I'm seeing, I would have to utilize ADAT on these channels. If not, is there a workaround? Thanks in advance for any help!

Tags (1)
JoeyWheaton Contributor - Level 2 2019-11-17

2019-11-17

P-16i connection to X32

Hi everyone! Our church has an X32 mixer and currently uses the P16 system, but we have limited volume control for the in-ears. I found a P-16-i sitting in a box unused. Is it possible to use this directly off of the X32 and before the P16-D module to allow us to utilize the gain switches to give us more flexability? 

From what I'm seeing, I would have to utilize ADAT on these channels. If not, is there a workaround? Thanks in advance for any help!

• 0 Kudos
  • 7 Replies
Valued Contributor - Level 2

Re: P-16i connection to X32

@JoeyWheaton The p16i uses adat in and audio (1/4 inch) in, it outputs to p16. You could access the adat ch's if you had S16 stageboxes or similar, otherwise I don't think you will solve your issue. You are aware of the several different levels of volume control on the p16m? That's usually the problem when people say the are not loud enough, they overlook those. Also the limiter setting can alter the overall volume.

@JoeyWheaton Some more info. In the pic below, ch’s 9 and 10 are linked and selected. The volume level knob and led’s (just above ch 13/14) are specific to those two ch’s. (red led's) If you select any of the other ch buttons at the bottom there, that knob and led indication of level will control the selected ch. You adjust all of them for a mix of all p16 ch's. That’s the first stage. The second stage is the one that most often gets missed with these units. On the far left is the “MAIN” button. If you select it it will illuminate and the volume knob and led indicators will control the main output level which controls the entire mix of all 16 P16 ch’s. Finally the third level adjustment is on the top right under 'output'. That is the final stage out. The limiter there can also be adjusted further to prevent ear damage. These units are capable of getting very loud.Screen Shot 2019-11-17 at 3.42.38 PM.png

Contributor - Level 2

Thank you, Gary! Yes - the team members all seem to use the P-16's correctly, but they have their gains for the vocals all set at +18.0 through +24.0 dB. I started trimming their gain down on the board to get levels closer to unity, and when I take them down to lower levels, they all mutiny and say that they can't hear the in-ears. I saw that rack module just sitting there in the box, and I figured maybe I could integrate it into the system to bump the vocal channels up on the switch and keep the instrument levels lower just for the sake of the in-ears. 

Maybe I'll play around with one of their modules and see what I can adjust by means of the limiter. I'd be willing to bet that nobody really knows how to utilize it the way it's designed. (You helped me understand it better just by your post!) 

I did a little research yesterday afternoon and found that there is a card that can be ordered for the X32 that will give it ADAT out capabilities. Any experience with that?

Thank you. 

@JoeyWheaton They would only need to adjust their MAIN volume (most likely suspect) and/or the upper right OUTPUT level knob once you lowered the gain, that's all. As I said, most people (a lot) totally miss the MAIN volume level and head straight to the OUTPUT level knob and wonder why it's not loud enough. The ADAT card is a nice addition IF you have a real need. That would surely get you 16 inputs to the P16I and potentially different mixes on the P16m BUT I dont think it would solve your volume issue imo. Still a nice card to have. 

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Thank you! I'm certainly going to try this solution before we go buy more stuff that we might not need. I appreciate your help!! 

Contributor - Level 1

Hello JoeyWheaton, you might look into the settings for the Ultranet. See if the location of the p-16 channels are pre or post fader. The gain does affect the input of the p-16s. Hopes that helps

Contributor - Level 2

Great idea! Thank you for the tip!