Contributor - Level 3

Possible Grounding Issue??

Hey everyone, I need an opinion on this and a possible solution on how to fix it. We run 2 laptops (Both are Macbook Pro 2019 Models. One is on stage and one is in the booth. The one on stage runs tracks/clicking guide while the one in the booth runs the video/slides via ProPresenter. About 2 months ago we switch to the Behringer X-32 and it was a GREAT change. However, after we made the switch, any audio (ie. music playing from the countdown or audio to announcement videos) the sound began to decay immediately or sound staticky. With our old mixer, we never had this problem. None of our set up has changed besides switching to the Behringer X-32. Has anyone experienced this problem? If so, how was it fixed? My idea was that it may be a grounding issue of sorts as we run a powered HDMI Splitter on the other end of the laptop with the audio coming out of the aux output. We have all of the right connections, and have tried using a DI Box but nothing happened and absolutely no sound came out when the DI Box was being used. Thanks in advance for any advice y'all can give.

Christian Doerflinger
Cdoe99 Contributor - Level 3 2020-01-14

2020-01-14

Possible Grounding Issue??

Hey everyone, I need an opinion on this and a possible solution on how to fix it. We run 2 laptops (Both are Macbook Pro 2019 Models. One is on stage and one is in the booth. The one on stage runs tracks/clicking guide while the one in the booth runs the video/slides via ProPresenter. About 2 months ago we switch to the Behringer X-32 and it was a GREAT change. However, after we made the switch, any audio (ie. music playing from the countdown or audio to announcement videos) the sound began to decay immediately or sound staticky. With our old mixer, we never had this problem. None of our set up has changed besides switching to the Behringer X-32. Has anyone experienced this problem? If so, how was it fixed? My idea was that it may be a grounding issue of sorts as we run a powered HDMI Splitter on the other end of the laptop with the audio coming out of the aux output. We have all of the right connections, and have tried using a DI Box but nothing happened and absolutely no sound came out when the DI Box was being used. Thanks in advance for any advice y'all can give.

• 0 Kudos
  • 5 Replies
Super Contributor - Level 2

Re: Possible Grounding Issue??

@Cdoe99 

A DI box usually fixes grounding issues. Tell us how you are connecting to the two laptops: 

What socket on the laptops?

What cables/adaptors are you using?

How long are the cables?

Which inputs on the X32?

Contributor - Level 3

This is the set up currently:

On the left side we have a USB-C Hyper Drive Adapter. Connected to this is the HDMI output->HDMI Splitter. As well as a USB-DMX cable as we run our lights off this same laptop. That is all that is plugged in on that side. 

On the right side we have the power supply to the laptop plugged in but typically the laptops are completely charged and stay unplugged during the service unless absolutely necessary. On this same side, we use the 1/8 Aux out which is connected to the Behringer X-32. Originally, it was connected via a 1/8 to Male XLR and connected as a channel, however this seemed to have made the sound more staticky so we switched it to a 1/8 to 1/4 TRS cable via the Aux Input. This reduced the staticky sound but is definitely not a permanent solution as it does make all sound coming through the speakers to be very low. 

With the DI Box, I had inserted the 1/4 into the DI Box then connected the DI Box via a Male-Female XLR to the X-32.

All of the cables are only about 3 ft long with the exception of the 1/8-Male XLR which is 5ft.

Christian Doerflinger

@Cdoe99 wrote:

This is the set up currently:

On the left side we have a USB-C Hyper Drive Adapter. Connected to this is the HDMI output->HDMI Splitter. As well as a USB-DMX cable as we run our lights off this same laptop. That is all that is plugged in on that side. 

On the right side we have the power supply to the laptop plugged in but typically the laptops are completely charged and stay unplugged during the service unless absolutely necessary. On this same side, we use the 1/8 Aux out which is connected to the Behringer X-32. Originally, it was connected via a 1/8 to Male XLR and connected as a channel, however this seemed to have made the sound more staticky so we switched it to a 1/8 to 1/4 TRS cable via the Aux Input. This reduced the staticky sound but is definitely not a permanent solution as it does make all sound coming through the speakers to be very low. 

With the DI Box, I had inserted the 1/4 into the DI Box then connected the DI Box via a Male-Female XLR to the X-32.

All of the cables are only about 3 ft long with the exception of the 1/8-Male XLR which is 5ft.

@Cdoe99 

It sounds as though you are connecting unbalanced stereo outputs from the PCs to balanced mono inputs on the mixer. This will make it sound very strange as there can be partial cancellation of the mono component of the signal.

The very best way to connect PCs is to use a stereo DI box - like Radial JPC . You could also use two mono DI boxes with a stereo splitter cable like this. The budget solution is to use a stereo splitter cable like this  direct into the X32 inputs.

Contributor - Level 3

So far it looks like that works perfectly! I tried it as we have all the supplies here available and it seems to work with music going through (previously it did not) so thank you!

Christian Doerflinger
Highlighted

@Cdoe99 wrote:

So far it looks like that works perfectly! I tried it as we have all the supplies here available and it seems to work with music going through (previously it did not) so thank you!

@Cdoe99 

I'm glad to hear that your problem is solved, Christian.